• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Patriots 2017 Salary Cap and Possible Moves

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots now have 15 FA and RFA players that will either stay or go in 2017. The biggest question is always, "How much money do they have to spend?" Bill Belichick has historically been very cautious when spending money on free agents, but has been more than fair with his own players being resigned. Not having a complete list of free agents in front of me, I do have a potential scenario for what the Patriots may have to replace anyone who chooses to depart.

If the League Cap is 170M (currently projected to be between 166M and 170M)
AND IF the Pats carry over 5.3M
AND IF their adjustment is -1.4M
AND IF they do NOT receive $3.25M credit for Aaron Hernandez
AND IF the Patriots' 2017 total commmitment after tendering ERFAs and signing practice squad players is 113.4M (assuming they don't release anyone)
the 2017 Patriots cap space will then be $60.5M before tendering RFAs/tagging a player/cuts/redos/retirements.
Please note that the Patriots may have borrowed up to $4.5M in cap space in 2011/2012 and if they did they will be debited any borrowed money at the start of the 2017 League Year.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a list of the Top 30 Potential Free Agents in 2017

** Indicates present and former Patriots

There are no OT in the top 30.

I always look at CB and Safety because the Patriots never seem to be deep. And next year, LB may be a bit thin

1. Kirk Cousins QB WAS
2. Chandler Jones 3-4 OLB ARI **
3. Le’Veon Bell RB PIT
4. Eric Berry S KC
5. Jamie Collins 3-4 OLB CLE **
6. Alshon Jeffery WR CHI
7. Dont’a Hightower 4-3 OLB NE **
8. Melvin Ingram 3-4 OLB SD
9. Kawann Short DT CAR
10. A.J. Bouye CB HOU
11. Kevin Zeitler G CIN
12. Jason Pierre-Paul 4-3 DE NYG
13. T.J. Lang G GB
14. Tony Jefferson S ARI
15. Terrelle Pryor WR CLE
16. Martellus Bennett TE NE **
17. Calais Campbell 3-4 DE ARI
18. Bennie Logan DT PHI
19. Nick Perry 3-4 OLB GB
20. Zach Brown ILB BUF
21. Morris Claiborne CB DAL
22. Nick Fairley DT NO
23. Larry Warford G DET
24. Ronald Leary G DAL
25. Eddie Lacy RB GB
26. Trumaine Johnson CB LA
27. Brandon Williams DT BAL
28. Charles Johnson 4-3 DE CAR
29. Dontari Poe DT KC
30. Stephon Gilmore CB BUF

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a rumor that BB extended offers to Butler, Harmon and Ryan, but take it for what it's worth...

I don't think HT is back next yr. I think Van Noy, took his spot...just a feeling I have. There might be someone out there that BB things he can get cheaper and just as productive. I think LB just became a big need in the draft if that happens. It seems to me that BB is going to quick, coverage LB these days. Bringing in Arthur Brown for a work out made me start to think that.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defensive front, BB doesn't need as many LBs and, as mentioned above, he is looking more for quick coverage LBs, especially to cover receivers going over the middle. That always used to be a weakness of Patriot defenses and they made mediocre TEs look like pro bowlers. I can see BB looking for a good edge rushing DE/OLB and a quick LB in the 2017 draft.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a rumor that BB extended offers to Butler, Harmon and Ryan, but take it for what it's worth...

I don't think HT is back next yr. I think Van Noy, took his spot...just a feeling I have. There might be someone out there that BB things he can get cheaper and just as productive. I think LB just became a big need in the draft if that happens. It seems to me that BB is going to quick, coverage LB these days. Bringing in Arthur Brown for a work out made me start to think that.
:hellno:HT and Butler are the only two we need to return.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defensive front, BB doesn't need as many LBs and, as mentioned above, he is looking more for quick coverage LBs, especially to cover receivers going over the middle. That always used to be a weakness of Patriot defenses and they made mediocre TEs look like pro bowlers. I can see BB looking for a good edge rushing DE/OLB and a quick LB in the 2017 draft.
I'm afraid Amendola may not be back if he doesn't renegotiate his contract AGAIN. I can't blame him if he goes elsewhere. He's been a teammate getting less reps/targets and returning kicks. Hate to see him leave. Lucien is waiting in the wings.
Same with Blount he's starting to hit that magic age for RBs. If he wants the $ it will be time to say bye. As mentioned need to find a big back to replace him.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm afraid Amendola may not be back if he doesn't renegotiate his contract AGAIN. I can't blame him if he goes elsewhere. He's been a teammate getting less reps/targets and returning kicks. Hate to see him leave. Lucien is waiting in the wings.
Same with Blount he's starting to hit that magic age for RBs. If he wants the $ it will be time to say bye. As mentioned need to find a big back to replace him.

Blount had a good year. Old RB's don't often get offered big contracts and never long ones.....
Amendola was cheap. 2017 $6 million?????? reneg or you gone!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett has stated openly that he wants to comeback next year.

Butler has no leverage. If BB offered him a contract then he'll pick up a couple million extra next year to sign for less. If he decides to try to test the market in 2018 BB will trade him.

Rumor is that Floyd wants to show BB he's a reliable player and person and supposedly told the Patriots he will take a min. veteran contract next year.

If Amendola doesn't renegotiate, he'll be gone. He's been injured the past three years and this year was a total loss. Devin Lucien is 4" taller, 25 lbs. heavier and has 4.3 speed. Nuff said.

Hightower will get a fair offer. If he thinks he's going to get a Von Miller contract, it won't be in New England. He hasn't had a contract type year. I think he'll resign for a reasonable check.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Butler has no leverage. If BB offered him a contract then he'll pick up a couple million extra next year to sign for less. If he decides to try to test the market in 2018 BB will trade him.

Rumor is that Floyd wants to show BB he's a reliable player and person and supposedly told the Patriots he will take a min. veteran contract next year.

If Amendola doesn't renegotiate, he'll be gone. He's been injured the past three years and this year was a total loss. Devin Lucien is 4" taller, 25 lbs. heavier and has 4.3 speed. Nuff said.

Hightower will get a fair offer. If he thinks he's going to get a Von Miller contract, it won't be in New England. He hasn't had a contract type year. I think he'll resign for a reasonable check.

Great to see you are still with us. See, Bad ass! :yes:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great to see my intuition is spot on even out here on the W. Coast. Thanks for providing the rumors those are what we don't get out here.
Nice to have you back big guy.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Dola will be back. He has been hurt and his role has been less and less every year. IMO he is better somewhere else. IF he does come back, there is not guarantee that he makes this team.

It would be a mistake to not offer Marty B before the FA period starts. The man likes it here, plan and simple. He does not complain. He was forced to stay in and block when Gronk was out. He is the ultimate team player. If we can get a full year of him and Gronk...yikes!!!

Would love to see Floyd back with this team. He is that big, fast, strong WR that WE have been talking about for so long!!! He will prob miss the 1st 4 games, but I think we can survive. He might have to take an incentive laden contract, it might not be here. NE is prob a good fit for him.

HT gets the tag in the worse case....Butler will get an extension this yr, 2 solid yrs, and getting better. You just don't mess with that. This would be the time to do it, he feels he owes NE everything for giving him a shot, and he seems like they type of guy who will stand by that.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Dola will be back. He has been hurt and his role has been less and less every year. IMO he is better somewhere else. IF he does come back, there is not guarantee that he makes this team.

It would be a mistake to not offer Marty B before the FA period starts. The man likes it here, plan and simple. He does not complain. He was forced to stay in and block when Gronk was out. He is the ultimate team player. If we can get a full year of him and Gronk...yikes!!!

Would love to see Floyd back with this team. He is that big, fast, strong WR that WE have been talking about for so long!!! He will prob miss the 1st 4 games, but I think we can survive. He might have to take an incentive laden contract, it might not be here. NE is prob a good fit for him.

HT gets the tag in the worse case....Butler will get an extension this yr, 2 solid yrs, and getting better. You just don't mess with that. This would be the time to do it, he feels he owes NE everything for giving him a shot, and he seems like they type of guy who will stand by that.

Marty B has already turned a $7mil per extension from the Pats.

Butler doesn't owe NE anything. He is doing his job.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When was this?? I have never seen anything about an extension and when was the last time you heard about NE extending anyone in the season?

No team gave Butler a chance, exp BB. He turned him into a pro bowl, second team CB....He might not owe them anything, but you tend to stick by those who gave you a shot!

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope BB can resign Bennett. The TE has said that he really likes it in New England but, at his age, he may have only one chance left at a big money deal and that might override his affection for the Pats. If that happens, getting a free agent TE or a rookie in the draft becomes a must, especially with injuries to Gronk mounting every year. As for Dola, I'm frankly surprised he has taken a pay cut for multiple years and, if asked again this year, he may not do it. This creates a real hole at punt returner, especially if Cyrus Jones can't shake his case of fumbilitis. If Dola doesn't return, guys like Foster, Lucien and DeAndrew White might get a real shot at a roster spot.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn...49ers owner is an idiot, and this shows it. I am willing to bet NE at 7m, was probably them willing to go to 9m, but lets see if we can get him for 7m. They got cap space and guys coming off contracts. If they were willing to Pay Dola 9m this yr, they should have no issues offering that to Marty.

1) 49ers are proven idiots
2) Amendola is scheduled for $6 million next year but he'll never see that
3) bottom teams have to pay more to get marquis players
4) Bennett probably turned down the 1 year extension because he was looking for a longer contract
5) Lengal is a reminder to Gronk and Bennett
6) Patriots are not idiots. They have shown a willingness to not overpay.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bennett deal is interesting. Michael Bennett just signed a big contract. I'm sure Marty doesn't want to be at family gatherings like he's homeless.

On that note I saw an interview Marty did recently. In so many words he said he's financially set? So how much stock do you put in that? I'm sure he likes the winning attitude and playoff appearances the Pats offer. That's worth a small discount. All is BB has to do is remind him what losing feels like.

NE could tag him? I see him or HT being tagged if they don't play BB ball?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amendola has good hands, great route running, Brady's trust and a knack for big plays.
Height, weight and speed cannot make up for that, but if he has the talent...that would be a great replacement.
Not that any of Amendola's talents are worth a damn when he is injured.

Glad to see your still on the right side of the grass today.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marty accepted a $7 Million/per from GB. Maybe he doesn't like being #2? He'll never be Gronk but he should do well at GB. I'm hoping his injuries heal up well......