• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The only way the Eagles win the Super Bowl this year is to run the fuck out of the ball

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most everyone is giving up on this season without Carson Wentz and moving on to next year, when we can make a legitimate Super Bowl run with Wentz back and hopefully able to stay healthy. I agree that we are no longer the favorites (by a long shot). We might actually be the worst playoff team in the NFC; probably, only the Titans and Bills have lower expectations than us.

I'm not going to give up. If we get bounced in the first round, so be it, but why not try to fuck around and get lucky? It's not like there will ever be a QB controversy.

Our defense is still good. 4th in the league in opponent points at 18.4 points, 4th in opponent yards at 306.5 yards, 4th in takeaways at 1.9 per game (most takeaways among all NFC playoff teams). Our ST is good enough- 13th in net yards per successful punt, 15th in gross yards per successful punt, 9th in opponent net yards per successful punt, 13th in opponent gross yards per successful punt, 17th in field goal percentage. Elliott is also 6th in made field goals from 50+, and 4th in field goals made from 40-49 yards.

If they all show up, it will come down to our offense. Foles could be lights out, or he could be horrendous. We better prepare for 'horrendous,' but it's certainly more likely. That means our run game needs to be excellent. As a team, we have been thus far, finishing 3rd in total rushing yards, and 4th in yards per rush attempt.

We need to decide who our #1 back is, the distribution between all the backs, and in what situations they should be used. LeGarrette Blount had the best Y/A on the Eagles this year at 4.4 yards, if you count Ajax's time in Miami. If you look solely at Ajax's time in Philly, he is considerably higher, at 5.8 yards.

It's also very important to think about screens to the RB's, considering that Nick Foles isn't extremely accurate. You could argue who is the best here (Clement certainly was this year), but Blount is clearly the worse with only 50 receiving yards and 6.3 yards/reception- both team lows among RB's.

Personally, I think Ajayi and Clement should be used the most. Ajayi should get ~20 attempts, Clement with ~10. Outside of 2-3 runs in normal circumstances, Blount (IMO) should really only be used at the goal line (even then, I'd probably prefer Ajayi). Barner should (obviously) get 0.

Honestly, I'd prefer Smallwood to Barner. Barner has been pretty average with kickoff and punt returns, and has muffed a few balls. At least Smallwood is a decent back in addition to returning the ball.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will, but the defense will really decide how far we go.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can only win if they get decent QB play. Foles has to throw effectively. If he can't do that, they won't win more than a game.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a chance it's happening. Foles is terrible.

Was over at the time Wentz went out.

I get the HOPE but if you think this team can outscore the Rams/Saints/Falcons and score on the Vikes...Your still thinking of the first 13 weeks.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest. The Eagles cannot win the Super Bowl. It would be the most improbable championship in the major 4 sports history. If things fall perfectly well we have a small chance at making the SB, and that's minuscule at best.

I'm just hoping for a second game at the Linc.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get the HOPE but if you think this team can outscore the Rams/Saints/Falcons and score on the Vikes...Your still thinking of the first 13 weeks.

It's not a matter of outscoring anyone anymore, it's hoping our Defense can stop the other teams from scoring, and making it ugly, that's our best shot to win in the playoffs. Plus we've been lights out at home this year, we're gonna need every advantage we can get.

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be nearly impossible to win if Foles' play does not improve over what he has shown the last two games. With a good running game and defense, we just need Foles to be average. And the receivers need to step up, stop dropping balls, and make contested catches. If we get the Foles of the last two weeks I think we're one-and-done and it probably won't be close.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be nearly impossible to win if Foles' play does not improve over what he has shown the last two games. With a good running game and defense, we just need Foles to be average. And the receivers need to step up, stop dropping balls, and make contested catches. If we get the Foles of the last two weeks I think we're one-and-done and it probably won't be close.
It will not be close.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly... I think we can win the first week. It will not be because of Foles, it will be in spite of him. But I do think we can gameplan, run and defense our way to an ugly win in week 1. Control time of possession and the defense can definitely shut down some drives and turn the ball over. I actually have hope we win the first game. I am definitely not liking our chances vs RAMS or VIKES tho.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pray the defense isn't as pussy as half of you guys are.:pray:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 Playoff Run
Divisional Game against Atlanta- 30 passes to 32 rushes
Championship Game against Minnesota- 33 passes to 30 rushes
Super Bowl against New England- 44 passes to 27 rushes

2004 Playoff Run
Divisional Game against Minnesota- 33 passes to 25 rushes
Championship Game against Atlanta- 27 passes to 33 rushes
Super Bowl against New England- 51 passes to 17 rushes

I was surprised Andy ran the ball as much as he did in the Divisional and Championship games, but alas, the Andy we all know and loved (?) prevailed in the Super Bowl.

Of course, this doesn't tell the whole story. McNabb was pretty bad in that SB, whereas Foles was in the midst of one of the best games played by an Eagles' QB in the playoffs in franchise history. Of course, you'll pass more with Foles in that scenario than normal. And STILL, Doug ran the ball 10 more times than Reid did.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's be honest. The Eagles cannot win the Super Bowl. It would be the most improbable championship in the major 4 sports history. If things fall perfectly well we have a small chance at making the SB, and that's minuscule at best.

I'm just hoping for a second game at the Linc.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m so glad I did not comment in this thread weeks ago. Not that I was so fatalistic as some of these comments read now....but I had my doubts heading into the Atlanta game.