• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Offseason Thread

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wish we'd go outside the organization. I think some fresh thinking would rejuvenate this team.

Brad Ausmus??
John Farrell??

I'd be okay with either.

I know Sandy Alderson & the now fired Dusty Baker are long time friends & associates...but I hope to the high heavens they don't hire him. Giving him an interview is okay and somewhat obligatory, but we need to do much better than some of those old school managerial retreads.

*I hear the Bosox will name Alex Cora to be their manager when the ALCS is over.

Last edited:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. Younger guy, outside the box pick, pitching guy which is the basis of our team. On paper I like the move.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Wednesday, the New York Mets outrighted RHPs Tyler Pill and Erik Goeddel, 3B Phillip Evans and OFs Wuilmer Becerra and Travis Taijeron to Triple-A Las Vegas. All but Becerra are eligible to become free agents.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New York Mets announced Monday the release of OF Norichika Aoki. The Mets signed the 35-year-old for the final month of the season after he was cut by the Toronto Blue Jays. Aoki hit .284 with eight RBIs in 27 games with New York.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source: Long unlikely to return to Mets’ staff

After being passed over for the managerial opening, Kevin Long is not expected to return as hitting coach of the New York Mets, according to Marc Carig of Newsday.

rumorcentral_16x9_203x114.png
The 50-year-old Long was rumored to be among the early favorites to replace the departing Terry Collins, but the Mets, in a surprise move, opted for Cleveland Indians pitching coach Mickey Callaway as their new skipper.

Carig reports the Mets had hoped to retain Long, whose contract expired Tuesday, Oct. 1st.

Long has drawn praise for his communication skills and is credited with helping Daniel Murphy to alter his swing and become one of baseball’s elite hitters. Long served as hitting coach of the New York Yankees from 2007-14 and managed in the minor leagues.

Long has been mentioned as a candidate to replace Joe Girardi as Yankees’ manager and could be an option to return to the Bronx as the club’s hitting coach as well, writes George A. King III of the New York Post.

Long also could be a candidate for the job of hitting coach of the Washington Nationals under new manager Dave Martinez, tweets Jorge Castillo of the Washington Post.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So anyone in particular we want to target?

It won't happen but I would love Hosmer at first. He's only 28 and I know we have Dom Smith but still. We could also flip Smith or platoon him.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With that said really I'd like to purge all of these Royals free agents.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I look at how we're setup, our biggest need is solidifying the infield. I think getting a legitimate 3rd baseman is number 1 priority (Moustakas?). A vet to go with Dom Smith also helps. Rosario is almost a lock at SS, then you have Cabrera, Flores and Rivera as 2nd baseman/utility.

Number 2 would be another bullpen arm. I'm OK with spending big money here. Familia, Ramos Blevins and a big FA arm gives me confidence.

More luxury moves would be getting a solid starter, a number 3/4 vet as well as exploring catching options.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN.com
Nov 9, 2017

The New York Mets might be open to a reunion with free agent Jay Bruce if he would be open to playing both the outfield and first base.

According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, the Mets have a hole to fill in the outfield and are not completely committed to Dominic Smith at first base, so the front office is “on the lookout” for someone who can play both positions.

One possibility could be the 30-year-old Bruce, who was traded from the Mets to the Cleveland Indians in August. Acquired by the Mets the previous summer, Bruce hit 37 homers and drove in 94 runs in 153 games for New York., spanning two seasons.

A key question would be whether Bruce, who has limited experience at first base, would be open to being used at both positions.

Another issue could be finances. General manager Sandy Alderson has hinted the Mets will not break the bank in free agency, and ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports Bruce will be looking for a five-year deal in the $80-90 million range.

Puma lists Logan Morrison and Adam Lind as other possible fits for the Mets.

http://nypost.com/2017/11/08/three-power-bats-could-interest-the-mets-this-offseason/

Mets outfielder Michael Conforto is rehabbing from September shoulder surgery, and Smith gave the team cause for concern when he had just a .658 OPS during a six-week audition late in the season.

The Toronto Blue Jays are among the other teams interested in Bruce, who hit .254/.324/.508 with 36 home runs between the Mets and Indians.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New coaching staff....

Mets fill out staff, hire Eiland as pitching coach

ICYMI:

Hitting coach Kevin Long was disappointed he wasn't one of the finalists for Mets manager which ultimately went to Mickey Callahan....so he decided to "take his talents" to DC to become the Nats new hitting coach, reuniting him with Daniel Murphy.

Last edited:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we'd go all out for Otani but it'll likely be the Yanks that get him.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do I keep hearing rumors regarding 2nd base? Ian Kinsler trade rumors, Neil Walker coming back rumors? Why? We have limited finances and trade chips, why would we spend any of it on a non premier position that we have viable options in house for? As i stated above we have Cabrera, Flores and TJ Rivera. Kinsler and Walker are upgrades but at what cost?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I'd be on board for this....

The New York Mets have reportedly zeroed in on a veteran target as they attempt to sort out their situation at first base.

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, New York is considering Adam Lind for the position.

The 34-year-old journeyman slashed .303/.362/.513 with 14 home runs and 59 RBIs in a part-time role (301 plate appearances) for the Washington Nationals last season.

The Mets are reportedly interested in Lind because they are not completely committed to left-handed prospect Dominic Smith at first base following his underwhelming performance in his first taste of the majors last season, per Mark Puma of the New York Post.

However, Lind is also a left-handed bat and owns a career .217 batting average and .263 on-base percentage against southpaws compared to his his .288 average and .348 on-base percentage against righties.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be on board with Lind, so long as we dont break the bank. Let him platoon with Smith and buy time without outright blocking him.