• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Offseason Thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where we stand right now as I see it:

Starting Pitching: We're set. Some lingering injury questions but we're good. Lugo and Gsellman coming on strong last year eases my mind a bit.

Relief Pitching: Good to go after bringing back Blevins and Salas. Hopefully Familia isn't out too long but we now have 4 dependable guys back there.

Infield: Catcher is still a concern for me. Hopefully D'Arnaud can get his bat back. I like our first base platoon. Everyone else worries me injury wise. Wright and Reyes are always hurt, Cabrera is not young and Walker coming off an injury. I could see us needing an infielder at some point.

Outfield: We all know, stacked at the corners, severely lacking in center. I'm hoping once they move a corner outfielder they give Lagares a legit chance in center and then platoon right field.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else concerned with our infield depth? Loney is gone which leaves only Duda at first. Flores is our super utility guy but one or 2 injuries and that infield is in trouble.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else concerned with our infield depth? Loney is gone which leaves only Duda at first. Flores is our super utility guy but one or 2 injuries and that infield is in trouble.

I wasn't too concerned losing Loney, but looks like it'll be Duda and then 1B by committee if need be, w/ Flores, Wright,Walker,Cabrera,Td'A & maybe even Jay Bruce?

Kinda peeved Sandy didn't go after Chris Carter.

Don't forget we still have Dom Smith waiting in the wings as well.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't too concerned losing Loney, but looks like it'll be Duda and then 1B by committee if need be, w/ Flores, Wright,Walker,Cabrera,Td'A & maybe even Jay Bruce?

Kinda peeved Sandy didn't go after Chris Carter.

Don't forget we still have Dom Smith waiting in the wings as well.

Dom Smith and Rosario hopefully are the answer, just need to bridge the gap until then.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. 3/26 -- Mets pitcher Steven Matz has been scratched from his Monday start in a minor league game because of tenderness in his left elbow.

"There's a little irritation, and he's got to work that out," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said on Sunday. "We don't think it's anything significant, but it bothers him on extension. He won't pitch tomorrow, and we'll see where that takes him over the next four or five days."

Matz was scheduled to pitch on the back fields at the team's complex to start the final week of spring training.

Alderson said the problem has bothered Matz for "a period of time," but that he hasn't been sent for an MRI.

The GM added that the team doesn't think the issue is serious, but it's "worrisome" because Matz has continued to be injured during his short career with the Mets.

Matz gave up five runs and eight hits in four innings against Miami on Wednesday. He is 1-1 with a 4.26 ERA in four starts this spring.

Matz was 9-8 with a 3.40 ERA in 22 starts in 2016, but was shut down last September and had surgery to remove bone spurs in his left elbow.

The Mets open the season April 3 against Atlanta.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wish we'd go outside the organization. I think some fresh thinking would rejuvenate this team.