• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE OFFICIAL UNOFFICIAL STEELERS BS THREAD..PART 15

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the Steeler Guru's

@ATL96Steeler
@FaCe-LeE-uS

So I'm curious as to something......
If Pittsburgh tags bell, can they trade his dumb ass????
I mean if he doesn't follow thru with the threat of retiring, honestly I don't see how he feels that's an advantage.
If he retires or holds out for a solid year, he's only devaluing himself, correct????
Just curious as to y'alls thoughts and input on this.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the Steeler Guru's

@ATL96Steeler
@FaCe-LeE-uS

I mean if he doesn't follow thru with the threat of retiring, honestly I don't see how he feels that's an advantage.
If he retires or holds out for a solid year, he's only devaluing himself, correct????

Good question and Idk the exact answer but I think they can depending on the type of tag...exclusive...note below I cut n pasted from a KC website on such matters.

"The exclusive tag means that player cannot negotiate with any other teams once the team applies it. The team owns that player’s rights as if they were under any contract so the team can trade them or resend the tag, but the player is stuck. The only choice the player has is whether to sign the contract or not. If they don’t sign it then they must sit out the entire season as they can’t negotiate with other teams until the start of the next football year."

Non Exclusive

"The non-exclusive tag carries with it the same rules as the exclusive tag, except for the player is allowed to negotiate with other teams. If the player signs an offer sheet for another team, the original team has the right to match the terms to keep them. Yet, if the original team declines to match, then they would receive two first round draft picks as compensation."

It's rare because of the 2 first rd pick to ever see this tag, but if this is true it seems like you can trade a tagged player.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the Steeler Guru's

@ATL96Steeler
@FaCe-LeE-uS

As far as I know yes they can trade him, but there's stipulations to the type of tag applied and he has to sign the franchise tag tender for the Steelers to own those rights. If he doesn't sign, the player is not allowed to negotiate with other teams nor is he allowed to play. The original team's tender would act like a placeholder until the player decides whether or not he wants to play again. So theoretically the Steelers would still own the rights to his contract even if he doesn't sign it.

And yes, that would certainly devalue him. Both age, rust & character issues would come into play. But that isn't to say there aren't GMs out there willing to take the chance. But Bell would have to sign the tender before anything could happen. If Steelers decide they don't want the hassle but want the return, they put the non-exclusive tag on him and get the two 1st Rd picks. If they don't want him leaving, like what Cincinatti did with Carson Palmer some years ago, they can keep the tag as exclusive and that player will get forced to either play for the team or retire. And the team can eventually decide to change the tag.

edit: just read ATL's post... That explains the tags

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the FO would be insane not to Tag Bell and ensure that he either plays for us next year or they get a major return for him. Seems like a no brainer to me whether Bell likes it or not.

Now the major question is which tag do they go with. Gotta say, I like the terms of the non-exclusive tag better. If some team offers him an insane deal we get 2 1st round picks in return. And we can show him whether or not anyone will pay his insane price. We all know the only teams able to do that will be bottom feeders with lots of cap space and minimal talent.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the FO would be insane not to Tag Bell and ensure that he either plays for us next year or they get a major return for him. Seems like a no brainer to me whether Bell likes it or not.

Now the major question is which tag do they go with. Gotta say, I like the terms of the non-exclusive tag better. If some team offers him an insane deal we get 2 1st round picks in return. And we can show him whether or not anyone will pay his insane price. We all know the only teams able to do that will be bottom feeders with lots of cap space and minimal talent.
Biggest concern over the non-exclusive tag is someone within the division shoveling out that paycheck. We know Cleveland has the ammo for it, both with picks & cap space. Its a guarantee he gets the offer he wants if they allow him to shop the market, just depends on where.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest concern over the non-exclusive tag is someone within the division shoveling out that paycheck. We know Cleveland has the ammo for it, both with picks & cap space. Its a guarantee he gets the offer he wants if they allow him to shop the market, just depends on where.
But if it's somewhere they don't want him to go such as in the Division, they'd have the chance to match and keep him.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if it's somewhere they don't want him to go such as in the Division, they'd have the chance to match and keep him.
If the Steelers don't have the money to give him what he wants then what makes you think they'll be able to match anyone's else's offer? The demand for his services will probably give him OVER what he asked for originally. I can see the Steelers putting the exclusive tag on him & still offering him a contract longer than their original 3-yr offer, but not longer than 5 years. That's a long time to have that much cap tied into the RB position.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you know the Browns are 2017 NFL preseason champions?:yes:

:hammer:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know the Browns are 2017 NFL preseason champions?:yes:

:hammer:
With the improvement in Cleveland's O-line, the return of Gordon & Coleman, a stout defense, they are a few pieces away from being a legitimate team. I don't care what the record was this season... They are going to rise from the ashes if their FO keeps heading in the direction they are headed.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the improvement in Cleveland's O-line, the return of Gordon & Coleman, a stout defense, they are a few pieces away from being a legitimate team. I don't care what the record was this season... They are going to rise from the ashes if their FO keeps heading in the direction they are headed.

I sure hope you're right. But I have been wanting them to get going in the right direction since 1999. Until I see it happen I simply can't believe it will. And I still can't figure out what that jackass owner Haslam would keep a HC that's 1-31 & is the only coach to have back to back 14 game losing streaks.:L

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope you're right. But I have been wanting them to get going in the right direction since 1999. Until I see it happen I simply can't believe it will. And I still can't figure out what that jackass owner Haslam would keep a HC that's 1-31 & is the only coach to have back to back 14 game losing streaks.:L
I like the call of keeping Hue. It's hard to argue though looking at the 1-31. IMO the problems with that team haven't been the HC's. They should have never fired Pettine.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Steelers don't have the money to give him what he wants then what makes you think they'll be able to match anyone's else's offer? The demand for his services will probably give him OVER what he asked for originally. I can see the Steelers putting the exclusive tag on him & still offering him a contract longer than their original 3-yr offer, but not longer than 5 years. That's a long time to have that much cap tied into the RB position.
Is it only for 1 year or the whole length of the proposed contract?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the call of keeping Hue. It's hard to argue though looking at the 1-31. IMO the problems with that team haven't been the HC's. They should have never fired Pettine.

Tennessee just fired their coach & they went to the playoffs. The Lions fired a HC that took them to the playoffs 2 out of the last 4 years & was 36-28. Hue's 1-31 & keeps his job? I put the majority of the blame on him because he is the HC.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it only for 1 year or the whole length of the proposed contract?
Whole length of contract meaning he wants $15mil per year. Steelers offered him somewhere around 3-yr 42mil with $30mil in guarantees. It was front loaded giving the Steelers insurance which I don't think Bell liked. He wants a longer contract which would guarantee him more money if say the Steelers want to cut bait in year 3 of the contract with a smaller hit.

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee just fired their coach & they went to the playoffs. The Lions fired a HC that took them to the playoffs 2 out of the last 4 years & was 36-28. Hue's 1-31 & keeps his job? I put the majority of the blame on him because he is the HC.
I get it. But I think Cleveland's situation is completely different. We're talking about a complete culture change vs. other teams trying to "get over the hump".

If Cleveland wants to see that change they need to stick by their decisions. You can't expect a change of this magnitude to happen with a revolving door at the HC position. Hue is a good coach with good philosophies. He may not take you to the superbowl, but at least he can flip the script and get this team headed in the right direction. Bengals made this stance back in 2003 when they hired Lewis. Granted Lewis had better personell to work with but I think you get the point I'm trying to make.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whole length of contract meaning he wants $15mil per year. Steelers offered him somewhere around 3-yr 42mil with $30mil in guarantees. It was front loaded giving the Steelers insurance which I don't think Bell liked. He wants a longer contract which would guarantee him more money if say the Steelers want to cut bait in year 3 of the contract with a smaller hit.
That would make it very unlikely then that they could match. Although I'm wooed by the 2 1st round draft picks the risk of him going to a division or conference rival is too high.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make it very unlikely then that they could match. Although I'm wooed by the 2 1st round draft picks the risk of him going to a division or conference rival is too high.
Agreed. Really can't have him landing in the AFCN outside of Pittsburgh. Steelers would be idiots to let that happen.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Giants have cap space? Would someone give up a top 5 pick for Bell???

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Giants have cap space? Would someone give up a top 5 pick for Bell???
A blockbuster trade of that magnitude would be about the only acceptable tradeoff if they let Bell walk. Would be huge for the future of the team.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A blockbuster trade of that magnitude would be about the only acceptable tradeoff if they let Bell walk. Would be huge for the future of the team.
Just going by records the Colts and Titians would be great trade targets. They have either the 3rd or 4th overall picks. The key question IMO is if you pull the trigger on such a trade who are you going after. Is there a RB besides Berkley rated that high or are you going after Ben's eventual replacement knowing he's going to sit a year or two. Course that was the plan for Ben when he was drafted and we all know all that worked out. Or a top Safety or CB??? Pass rusher would also be a possibility that high.