• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2017 Chicago White Sox Thread

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Davidson again with a clutch bomb.

Now hitting .333 3 HR's 9 RBI's

Interested in seeing how he fairs as the season really takes flight.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kappa has now gotten two runners canned at 3rd with 2 outs, in two days. The throws beat these guys by a lot too. Cardinal sin in baseball, making the 1st or last out at 3rd... for chrissake.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i tend to think a little more realistically .... i think.
garcia is the same guy we've had for a few years now. he's had hot streaks before and believe it or not, sometimes those streaks come at the start of a season. he's not that good (or any good imo until he does it over a quarter season or so. THEN maybe i'll believe. same goes for davidson only more so. davidson has proven how bad he is in the minors. no reason to think he's suddenly a bonafide hitter.
the same logic goes for abreu. he's no .222 hitter, is he? do ya think anderson is a .154 hitter?

i'm not pleased or displeased with the start. i always want to see the team win but i have no illusions that this is a .500 or above team. but then, that's what i like about this year. i'm not looking for wins so much as i am to see who develops and who doesn't and seeing if RR is the real thing.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i tend to think a little more realistically .... i think.
garcia is the same guy we've had for a few years now. he's had hot streaks before and believe it or not, sometimes those streaks come at the start of a season. he's not that good (or any good imo until he does it over a quarter season or so. THEN maybe i'll believe. same goes for davidson only more so. davidson has proven how bad he is in the minors. no reason to think he's suddenly a bonafide hitter.
the same logic goes for abreu. he's no .222 hitter, is he? do ya think anderson is a .154 hitter?

i'm not pleased or displeased with the start. i always want to see the team win but i have no illusions that this is a .500 or above team. but then, that's what i like about this year. i'm not looking for wins so much as i am to see who develops and who doesn't and seeing if RR is the real thing.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you here Iddy. Certainly not myself.

I am simply searching for story lines to follow and silver linings to our start, in what should be a rather boring season. I have no delusions that Avi has all of the sudden figured it out, and same goes for Davidson being a legit MLB player.

I also think that perhaps the most doomed part of the team, destined to fall off of a cliff. Is our bullpen's flukey success.

Speaking of a lack of optimism... Quintana with another whopping 1 hit and 0 runs in support of him today. Outside of a few games, the lineup has been impossible to watch.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus... Avi

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think you could do what Avery Bradley did on the jump ball. Took a step to jump. wrong thread

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think I can handle much more of abreu playing first base. Total butcher

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think I can handle much more of abreu playing first base. Total butcher

I don't understand how we're 7-6. Statistically it makes zero sense. Without Avi, we may be close to winless. lol

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how we're 7-6. Statistically it makes zero sense. Without Avi, we may be close to winless. lol

pitching!

leading the league (in fact the majors) in era. 2nd lowest baa! leads league with no blown saves. fewest hits allowed. second fewest stolen bases allowed. best defense-independant era ratio. ..........

don't woory tho. as soon as we start hitting the pitching will fold. :P)

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pitching!

leading the league (in fact the majors) in era. 2nd lowest baa! leads league with no blown saves. fewest hits allowed. second fewest stolen bases allowed. best defense-independant era ratio. ..........

don't woory tho. as soon as we start hitting the pitching will fold. :P)

Oh, I hear you. I know it's the pitching. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the box scores and see that. It just doesn't feel legitimate, due to the fact it's the likes of Derrek Holland, Miguel Gonzalez and Shields killing it for us. While our ace, Quintana is really struggling. We need Rodon to comeback and finally have a solid season if we're going to keep this up. Dylan Covey is a career minor leaguer, and has no business in an MLB rotation.

Sabers also suggest that our bullpen's success has been largely due to luck, but we'll see. D-Rob has been dominant, that's not a fluke.

Looking at our team stats now. Our team batting average is .219 :lol:

Our pitching will likely regress to the mean a bit, along with Avi. Have to think Abreu starts to pick it up a little bit though. I get the feeling a good 5-6 game skid may be around the corner to bury us under .500 for the rest of the season, but we shall see. Perhaps we can ride this out and keep finding ways to win ball games for a while. Even hovering around .500 through the first half of the season would have me pleasantly surprised.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I hear you. I know it's the pitching. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the box scores and see that. It just doesn't feel legitimate, due to the fact it's the likes of Derrek Holland, Miguel Gonzalez and Shields killing it for us. While our ace, Quintana is really struggling. We need Rodon to comeback and finally have a solid season if we're going to keep this up. Dylan Covey is a career minor leaguer, and has no business in an MLB rotation.

Sabers also suggest that our bullpen's success has been largely due to luck, but we'll see. D-Rob has been dominant, that's not a fluke.

Looking at our team stats now. Our team batting average is .219 :lol:

Our pitching will likely regress to the mean a bit, along with Avi. Have to think Abreu starts to pick it up a little bit though. I get the feeling a good 5-6 game skid may be around the corner to bury us under .500 for the rest of the season, but we shall see. Perhaps we can ride this out and keep finding ways to win ball games for a while. Even hovering around .500 through the first half of the season would have me pleasantly surprised.

i don't hold out much hope for anywhere near a .500 record. and i agree that up till now the sox have been lucky ... just like they were at the start of last season. it will not last.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The may and asche experiment should be over. It is a joke that they are getting regular playing time and always play on the same day. It's an almost guaranteed 0-8

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know... we have like .200 team batting average, but let's play two guys who are hitting a combined .046 (3 for 65)... while we sit one of our only two players who is hitting over .300.

Honestly, I don't even know what the explanation could be. Renteria has some kind of a thing for May, that much is evident. He's slobbered all over him since spring training, and after he was 0-for the first week he still said the CF job was his.

He's hitting .033 and is blatantly over matched every trip to the plate. We're nearly a month in... this is beyond simply having a slow start or adjustment period. It's time for Asche and May to board a plane back to Charlotte.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know... we have like .200 team batting average, but let's play two guys who are hitting a combined .046 (3 for 65)... while we sit one of our only two players who is hitting over .300.

Honestly, I don't even know what the explanation could be. Renteria has some kind of a thing for May, that much is evident. He's slobbered all over him since spring training, and after he was 0-for the first week he still said the CF job was his.

He's hitting .033 and is blatantly over matched every trip to the plate. We're nearly a month in... this is beyond simply having a slow start or adjustment period. It's time for Asche and May to board a plane back to Charlotte.

when robin ventura (nice to use him as a good example for a change) was a rookie he went 0-41 starting the 2nd week of the season. they kept playing him because they knew he could hit. they know may can hit! he did fine in spring training and he was a good hitter in the minors (as good as ventura).
realizing that the sox won't actually compete this season they want to give him (and others) a chance to see what they can do. i absolutely give RR a pass on his decision to play may. they know leury well enough and they have no other legit cf'r.
now, unless some of you actually believe the sox can contend this year (you really should give this idea up. it will make the season much easier to take), i believe you should cut this team some slack. let them find out what they've got.

and anyone who thinks davidson is actually a .300 hitter check out his lifetime .249 average in the minors (.232 in 4 triple a seasons) and 1 k in every 3 ab's and stop fooling yourselves.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when robin ventura (nice to use him as a good example for a change) was a rookie he went 0-41 starting the 2nd week of the season. they kept playing him because they knew he could hit. they know may can hit! he did fine in spring training and he was a good hitter in the minors (as good as ventura).
realizing that the sox won't actually compete this season they want to give him (and others) a chance to see what they can do. i absolutely give RR a pass on his decision to play may. they know leury well enough and they have no other legit cf'r.
now, unless some of you actually believe the sox can contend this year (you really should give this idea up. it will make the season much easier to take), i believe you should cut this team some slack. let them find out what they've got.

and anyone who thinks davidson is actually a .300 hitter check out his lifetime .249 average in the minors (.232 in 4 triple a seasons) and 1 k in every 3 ab's and stop fooling yourselves.

Yeah, that's all fair enough. As I have stated, I am under no delusions that we're going to contend.

However, did Ventura look as over-matched as May does? May just looks hopeless up there.

I am obviously cool with seeing what we have, that's what this year is about. I just think when you're a rookie (I think he still meets rookie eligibility this year) hitting .324 with a few home runs. You have earned some AB's, and probably more than the guys hitting .033 and .057. Davidson also appears to be a .268 lifetime hitter, minors and his 43 MLB games combined.

May wasn't exactly a slugger in the minors either. As for Asche, he was basically an every day player for Philly for two years and is a .230 lifetime hitter, with a .293 OBP. I think we just about know what we have there.

In conclusion, I am fine with May staying out there for a little while longer. However, I don't think it's outrageous to say that one of our only two guys hitting over .300 should also get some opportunities.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's all fair enough. As I have stated, I am under no delusions that we're going to contend.

However, did Ventura look as over-matched as May does? May just looks hopeless up there.

I am obviously cool with seeing what we have, that's what this year is about. I just think when you're a rookie (I think he still meets rookie eligibility this year) hitting .324 with a few home runs. You have earned some AB's, and probably more than the guys hitting .033 and .057. Davidson also appears to be a .268 lifetime hitter, minors and his 43 MLB games combined.

May wasn't exactly a slugger in the minors either. As for Asche, he was basically an every day player for Philly for two years and is a .230 lifetime hitter, with a .293 OBP. I think we just about know what we have there.

In conclusion, I am fine with May staying out there for a little while longer. However, I don't think it's outrageous to say that one of our only two guys hitting over .300 should also get some opportunities.

Matt Davidson Minor & Fall Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com
check where it say all 9 seasons. that's where i came up with his avg. .268 is just his mlb avg (and just 112 ab's) .... in fact before his hot streak of this season it was .244 in the majors.

yes may wasn't a slugger, but he's also a cf'r ... not typically a role that calls for power.

it is possible davidson is nursing a slight injury (someone mentioned this at the mlb site). not enough for the dl but why push it if it's true?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp Davidson with a huge night after sitting an entire wk for no apparent reason. Will he play tomorrow or the next day? Who knows?