• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Obscure Conference Tournament Thread

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the obscure conference tournaments are under way, with the first autobids being earned on Saturday.

In the Atlantic Sun, Belmont and Mercer both won their quarterfinal games. Those two teams are clearly the class of the conference, and though Belmont is clearly better, Mercer would make for a very interesting final.

In the Big South, UNC Asheville looks like they going to make the title game against VMI. Asheville is clearly the better team, but VMI's famous fast paced style (they are 6th in PPG this year after being #1 the last five years) has always caused trouble. It would be fun to see them in the dance with their run and gun style.

In the Ohio Valley, Murray State is obviously the heavy favorite. Considering they will almost certainly get an autobid, the bubble will collectively be rooting for the Racers. If somebody is going to trip them up, it is #2 seed TN State. They gave Murray State their only loss (on a completely blown call).

The Missouri Valley has their final on Sunday, but I don't think that qualifies as an obscure conference. Those are the only finals this weekend.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good news for bubble teams

Murray State won the OVC

bad news is Wichita State is struggling with Illinois State

UNC-Asheville won their conference and is in the tournament

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomorrow, we have several finals.

In the Colonial Athletic Association, Drexel plays VCU. Both teams have very solid resumes, but neither is a slam dunk. This should be one of the best games of championship week because there are two great, evenly matched teams with a ton of motivation. The winner isn't the only thing that matters, either. Margin of victory will be huge, as a 10+ point loss will likely eliminate the loser. With a close game, it is very likely both make it.

The MAAC's hype has all surrounded by Iona, but they were upset today by Fairfield. The Stags take on a very good Loyola (MD) team. Loyola would seem to be better, but Fairfield whooped them in their last meeting (at Loyola). This is a classic tossup, then.

The SOCON will likely be Davidson vs. West Carolina. Davidson beat Kansas earlier this year, and should be the favorite. They beat Kansas this year, and some experts say they will be a bubble team even if they lose. I doubt it, and I think they will be heavily motivated. Right now, they are in a fairly tight semi against Elon. I know nothing about Elon or Western Carolina.

The WCC final is tomorrow, but I don't think Gonzaga vs. Saint Mary's is obscure.

On Tuesday, there are three finals:

In the Horizon League, Valpo gets a home game against Detroit. There are no stars on Valpo, with the most famous player being head coach Bryce Drew (of buzzerbeater fame). He played for his dad, just like Detroit star Ray McCallum, a very good point guard who could have gone to just about any school in the country.

The Summit League will likely see a South Dakota State vs. Oral Roberts final. They are both extremely capable teams. I have seen them both, but don't remember much other than being surprised by how solid they were. The winner could very well be a classic 13-14 seed spoiler.

All hell has broken lose at the Sun Belt tournament. MTSU, the #1 seed and heavy favorite, was taken down the 9 seed. 3 seed Denver is probably the favorite, but who really knows? Denver has some nice wins (Southern Miss, Wyoming) and played Iona to OT. If anyone else wins, expect to see them playing a 1 seed in the first round.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good news for bubble teams

Murray State won the OVC

bad news is Wichita State is struggling with Illinois State

UNC-Asheville won their conference and is in the tournament

The Shockers were getting in either way.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Shockers were getting in either way.

and you think that shocks me?(pun intended)

of course they were in sir

Illinois State is a team that could have stolen a bid from a team that's on the bubble.

Colonial Final will be good

no clue on anything in the MAAC, I didn't even know Loyola(MD) existed

SOCON should and hopefully will be Davidson, Davidson is a team that can pull a big upset, they've already done it once.

WCC is all about seeding, Gonzaga and St. Mary's are easily in

Horizon I might have to go with Detriot they were considered a team with potential at the start of the year but after starting out disappointing they have started playing much better lately, at the right time too.

Summit, I don't need to post the giant logo to tell you I'm picking ORAL ROBERTS!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Belt, MTSU lost? wow they're probably done then, who knows who to pick

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Western Kentucky a 7 seed in the Sun Belt tournament, won the Sun Belt

LOL!

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Dakota State Jackrabbits and Western Illinois Leathernecks play each other in the Summit championship

these teams are aiming for their first tournament bid

they also have interesting nicknames

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the more captivating matchups are coming up tonight.

Tonight is the Big Sky Conference, with Weber State and Montana playing each other. These are two really good teams, who have combined to go 48-11 on the year. In their two regular season meeting, both teams won fairly convincingly at home. Weber State's Damon Lillard is the nation's #2 scorer, and one of the best players period. Montana boasts a more balanced attack and one of the nation's longest winning streaks (13 games). It should be a great game.

In the NEC, Robert Morris is taking on LIU Brooklyn. Robert Morris, of course, was the team that the refs robbed of a 15-2 upset over Villanova two years ago. They come in hot, having beaten a very good Wagner team last round. LIU Brooklyn has to be the favorite, though, as they are playing at home and have yet to lose a home game this year.

The Patriot League Final pits Bucknell, the clear class of the conference, against #2 Lehigh. Lehigh was up at halftime against Michigan State earlier this year, and beat Bucknell in their house, so this game is far from a given.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamar looks like they're about to make the tournament, this is when a few weeks ago the coach bashed their seniors

good response by the players.