• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new targeting rule, what it might mean for fantasy

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on how this new rule might impact offenses this year?

I'm of the opinion the all sorts of scoring records will be set, defenses just will never get off the field

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on how this new rule might impact offenses this year?

I'm of the opinion the all sorts of scoring records will be set, defenses just will never get off the field

Depends, if they enforce RBs using their heads it could go the other way. Pretty much every RB lowers his head while diving for extra yards. Guice is really going to be affected by this rule. He pretty much ducks his head whenever he feels contact is going to happen.

It’s going to be a frigging flag fest.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends, if they enforce RBs using their heads it could go the other way. Pretty much every RB lowers his head while diving for extra yards. Guice is really going to be affected by this rule. He pretty much ducks his head whenever he feels contact is going to happen.

It’s going to be a frigging flag fest.
The Guice example is interesting, as the targeting rule has been around in college for a few years, yet almost universally is called defensive players. Given the way PI's get called so often on defensive, not offensive so much, as well as illegal contact down field and whatnot, I find myself under the assumption that it'll be a rarity (comparatively) to be called on the offense

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Guice example is interesting, as the targeting rule has been around in college for a few years, yet almost universally is called defensive players. Given the way PI's get called so often on defensive, not offensive so much, as well as illegal contact down field and whatnot, I find myself under the assumption that it'll be a rarity (comparatively) to be called on the offense

The Guice habit of ducking was pointed out by someone on SportsHoopla and dang if it isn’t spot on. Yes I’m sure the defense will be more effected. Still flag fest is going to happen. Sucks.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Guice is going to be a bust in the NFL. Not impressed with his running style whatsoever. His habit of ducking his head and diving really cuts short any ability to make cut and avoid a tackler. I feel since I have zero shot at drafting the second tier of RBs in D1 and own the 1.2 in my other leagues, I can share my opinion.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Guice is going to be a bust in the NFL. Not impressed with his running style whatsoever. His habit of ducking his head and diving really cuts short any ability to make cut and avoid a tackler. I feel since I have zero shot at drafting the second tier of RBs in D1 and own the 1.2 in my other leagues, I can share my opinion.
So 1.2 is not going to be Guice in D2 or Bandit...got it! Barring some amazing landing situation, he won't be the 1.3 in D2 or Bandit either. ;)

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take the view that it won't mean anything.

Crackback blocks.
Chop blocks.
Quarterback hits to the head.
Defenseless player hits.
Horse-collar tackles.
Helmet-to-helmet.
Now "targeting" hits.​

Like most of the other rules, some will get missed. Some will be exaggeratedly called.
But the game will go on.

Officially, it’s Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8. > “It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified.”​

Looked at penalties called in 2017.
There were 3525 penalties called last year. Or about about 110.1 per team.
This factors to about 6.8 penalties per game.

In that link above I couldn't find a specific category for helmet-to-helmet penalties.
So I'm guessing they were lumped into either unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike penalties?
So of those 3525 penalties, 212 were for unnecessary roughness. Or 6.63 penalties per team.
And there were 71 unsportsmanlike penalties, or 2.22 per team.

Combined, those 283 15-yard penalties averaged out to less than 1 per game (.55 actually).

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take the view that it won't mean anything.

Crackback blocks.
Chop blocks.
Quarterback hits to the head.
Defenseless player hits.
Horse-collar tackles.
Helmet-to-helmet.
Now "targeting" hits.​

Like most of the other rules, some will get missed. Some will be exaggeratedly called.
But the game will go on.

Officially, it’s Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8. > “It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified.”​

Looked at penalties called in 2017.
There were 3525 penalties called last year. Or about about 110.1 per team.
This factors to about 6.8 penalties per game.

In that link above I couldn't find a specific category for helmet-to-helmet penalties.
So I'm guessing they were lumped into either unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike penalties?
So of those 3525 penalties, 212 were for unnecessary roughness. Or 6.63 penalties per team.
And there were 71 unsportsmanlike penalties, or 2.22 per team.

Combined, those 283 15-yard penalties averaged out to less than 1 per game (.55 actually).
But the new rule isn't helmet to helmet now..its any contact initiated by lowering the head..can be to the chest, hip, thigh, whatever...which, hasn't been illegal before

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually, the 'safety of players' by initiating new rules every time someone gets injured will reduce the NFL to the equivalent of watching golf or curling. .... I've already stopped watching for other reasons. ...

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way its going why not put them on skates EH!:canada: Treff