• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new rules regarding fouls are a joke

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the MU game so I don't know exactly how they called it, but from my understanding of the rules and new emphasis, they're trying to cut down on physical play on the perimeter. I don't often see hand-checking in the paint.

I'm all for allowing more physical play in the paint, but I think there should be a little more freedom of movement on the perimeter. If it slows down the game a little while teams adjust, so be it.

Also worth noting, iirc Big East officials were really whistle-happy the last couple of years anyway, so I'm not at all surprised to see a lot of fouls called in the Marquette or Seton Hall games.

Yeah you're right that a lot of it has to do with the perimeter but it's also stopping you from any sort of low post contact.

I'll see how the game vs OSU goes next weekend before really judging because it was southern but it just wasn't fun to watch. Gardner and Mayo went to line at will it got to the point we just played freshman even in a closer than it should be game because Davate was just going to be fouled otherwise.

The gtown Oregon game was a lot of the same. MU/gtown games were always great cuz they'd beat the hell out of each other. I'd prefer not to see a Smith vs Gardner free throw battle.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you're right that a lot of it has to do with the perimeter but it's also stopping you from any sort of low post contact.

I'll see how the game vs OSU goes next weekend before really judging because it was southern but it just wasn't fun to watch. Gardner and Mayo went to line at will it got to the point we just played freshman even in a closer than it should be game because Davate was just going to be fouled otherwise.

The gtown Oregon game was a lot of the same. MU/gtown games were always great cuz they'd beat the hell out of each other. I'd prefer not to see a Smith vs Gardner free throw battle.

Big East basketball was the worst IMO because they just beat the crap out of each other and it was just way too physical for me.

It's just a preference, and I'm hoping defenses adapt.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, a lot of the changes aren't new rules. They're making the refs call the rules that are actually in place (its about damn time). Secondly, quit bitching. This needed to happen. The college game has gotten ugly as shit. There is zero freedom of movement. Away from the ball as a play is being ran you can't move anywhere without getting bumped, held, or knocked off balance. With the ball, its not much difference. You have to get mugged to get a foul call. All of this has resulted in stagnant offenses. That's not basketball. Good basketball has flow. What we've had the last few years is glorified rock fights. The fouls will mount up at the start, but teams will adjust throughout the season and into the future. The result will be a much better on court product that rewards smart players and good play designs

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2013/11/new_ncaa_rules_expected_to_imp.html

That link sums it up pretty nicely. It is a rule completely for the offenses. It is now going to allow the big strong guys have their way. The fouls are going to rack up it is 100% certainty.

And for the last time. These new rules in more cases than not actually benefit my team I still think it is ridiculous what is expected to start being called.

One positive though. It will put an even greater importance on having depth and not just relying on a 6-7 man rotation.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2013/11/new_ncaa_rules_expected_to_imp.html

That link sums it up pretty nicely. It is a rule completely for the offenses. It is now going to allow the big strong guys have their way. The fouls are going to rack up it is 100% certainty.

And for the last time. These new rules in more cases than not actually benefit my team I still think it is ridiculous what is expected to start being called.

One positive though. It will put an even greater importance on having depth and not just relying on a 6-7 man rotation.

I disagree.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, a lot of the changes aren't new rules. They're making the refs call the rules that are actually in place (its about damn time). Secondly, quit bitching. This needed to happen. The college game has gotten ugly as shit. There is zero freedom of movement. Away from the ball as a play is being ran you can't move anywhere without getting bumped, held, or knocked off balance. With the ball, its not much difference. You have to get mugged to get a foul call. All of this has resulted in stagnant offenses. That's not basketball. Good basketball has flow. What we've had the last few years is glorified rock fights. The fouls will mount up at the start, but teams will adjust throughout the season and into the future. The result will be a much better on court product that rewards smart players and good play designs

Bingo! :agree:

Best post I've seen on the Hoop all week

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the numbers for the first weekend. Yes the fouls are impacting the games. Pretty much exactly as intended.

Assessing the impact of the new rules after college basketball’s opening weekend.

The author compares the fouls this past weekend to an entire season. I'd be curious to see the numbers compared to the first weekend of last season. I'd venture a guess that the numbers are a little different for the first weekend, as that is probably the time frame with the biggest disparity in talent between teams playing. Almost every game played is a glorified exhibition game, and I suspect that disparity in talent will result in more fouls by the "visiting" team. I don't know if that translates to more fouls overall, as it could be offset by fewer fouls from the home team, but I'm inclined to think that it's still a net increase.

That being said, it really wasn't that bad this weekend, and I think it will get better over the season.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa shot 50 FTs in their game last night. Game took 2 hours and 22 minutes.... YUCK!!! That said they need to free guys up t be athletes, game has gotten to ugly IMO.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would compare this to when the NHL changed to a "zero tolerance" policy for hooking, holding, and interference. That was back in 2005, I believe, and for a while it was just constant penalties. However, the teams eventually adjusted and the game is much better now for it. Sure, it makes it much more difficult to play defense than it was before, but the way they were playing D before wasn't within the rules. Once the players adjusted, the game improved dramatically. I would expect the same to happen with these rule changes. Give the players a chance to adjust, and don't judge it after the first weekend. I think there will be a very noticeable change in the game by halfway through the season.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early in the season the rules to open up the game and create more in game flow will result in slower games as players try to adjust to the rules. Just last year you could basically mug a guy as a defender and probably not get called for a foul, now that's going to get a whistle, that's a major adjustment. If we're still having these problems by the Championship Week rolls around then I'll agree that the rules emphasis is a joke, but otherwise players just need to adjust.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand what your point is. Should teams not be rewarded for being more talented? Or you just think that less talented teams physically cannot play defense without fouling

All I can say uncfan103 is that even though you're a Tarheel fan....I think we both see eye to eye on the new basketball rules.......and we can probably get along....right up until the day we bust that Tarheel azz.:lol:

Just kidding...I'm already anticipating a great game with N. Carolina....lookin' forward to another barnburner. Two teams with a lot of history and championships between them. Keep those good posts rolling!:10:

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is simple. You don't want a game being slowed up by free throws. It's already that so often in the past and it's only going to get worse. Look at some of the FTA for teams these first games. Basketball becomes weak if you are not allowed to bang around a little.

Being a Marquette fan what the hell was I supposed to take away from the southern game aside from we need work making free throws. It was 40 minutes of hack a shaq.

I liked how well were prepared for the new rules but it takes away so much of the physical play. The great teams will adjust but I'm hoping come conference play teams are allowed to play more. More flow and just all around better competitiveness. Nothing better than watching two teams exchange blows.

Being almost as old as dirt, I can remember back to the days of Kareem (I was fairly young then)...and I didn't notice the flow of the game being halted due to fouls and free throws. I always assumed that both teams were playing basketball the way the rules were written, and both teams understood how they were expected to play. Seemed to work out well to me..and I never saw any marathon bb games.

When the 4 corner stall came along I just went into a coma until they installed a shot clock.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These games are ridiculous. If you don't think fouls are on a rapid spike....I want what you're smoking.

This sucks cuz MU blows at Free throws.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These games are ridiculous. If you don't think fouls are on a rapid spike....I want what you're smoking.

Just for giggles, can you tell me specifically which of the new rules or points of emphasis that you object to? Are you pro-arm bar? You think two hands on the defender is ok? What exaclty is it that you don't like ither than the effect it has on your team?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for giggles, can you tell me specifically which of the new rules or points of emphasis that you object to? Are you pro-arm bar? You think two hands on the defender is ok? What exaclty is it that you don't like ither than the effect it has on your team?

Actually not affecting my team. Quite the opposite. I hate everything about them. These games are all taking forever.

I like some good ole physical basketball. Teams had no problems scoring with a little contact.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually not affecting my team. Quite the opposite.
Really? Who said this?
anywho...
I hate everything about them. These games are all taking forever.

I like some good ole physical basketball. Teams had no problems scoring with a little contact.

Specifically, bullet point, by bullet point, which of the new rules/points of emphasis do you not like? I'm not asking about the results of the rules, I'm asking about which rules specifically, you disagree with.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Who said this?

anywho...

Specifically, bullet point, by bullet point, which of the new rules/points of emphasis do you not like? I'm not asking about the results of the rules, I'm asking about which rules specifically, you disagree with.

In what way does saying we suck at free throws even remotely mean the rules hurt the team? Buzz Williams teams always get to the line. We just happen to shoot poor % wise. Getting there is better than not. Now you're really reaching.

Sorry I don't do bullet points. Can you read? I don't like ANY of them. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The game was fine last year. Every single game today has taken well over 2 hours that I've watched.

It's slowing up the game plain and simple. End of discussion.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In what way does saying we suck at free throws even remotely mean the rules hurt the team? Buzz Williams teams always get to the line. We just happen to shoot poor % wise. Getting there is better than not. Now you're really reaching.

Every team gets to the line. Buzz isn't special when it comes to that. Unless you're suggesting that MU will continue to get to the line at the same rate they always have, then an increase in trips to the line would be bad for a poor free throw shooting team.

Most of the "new" fouls called aren't shooting fouls. That means that once you're in the bonus, you're effectively wasting a possession on shooting free throws (which you've said you're poor at) instead of actually running you're offense (which you're presumably better at)

So in the context of this discussion, when you say "This sucks cuz MU blows at Free throws." What exactly is the "this" you're referring to? It seems an odd thing to blurt out in a conversation about rule changes if you aren't referring to the new rules. Only other thing I can think of that sucks would be the longer games, but I don't see why the games being longer would suck "cuz" you're bad a free throws.

Sorry I don't do bullet points. Can you read? I don't like ANY of them. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The game was fine last year. Every single game today has taken well over 2 hours that I've watched.

Well, I'm trying to ascertain if you even know what the "them" are that you don't like. So far you've only been complaining about the results, but I've yet to see you make a single comment on the rules themselves.

For example, "I don't like the 35 second shot clock, it makes the game too fast" is a complaint about the result, not the rule. "I don't like the 35 second shot clock because I think teams should be able to run their offense as long as they like" is a criticism of the rule itself. I'm just curious if you're complaining or criticizing.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fouls are being called more often, yes. But once players stop fouling the number of fouls being called will stop increasing.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe for you, but not for Trolly! She/he will visit all your past and future posts, and call you out on them. Be sure and bring your A game! :peep: :lol: