• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new rules regarding fouls are a joke

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't even sniff a guy without a foul being called now.

The Cincinnati game now has 49 fouls called with 4 minutes to go...

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give it time, players will figure it out. I watched a game today that had 37. It's not because the refs were much more lenient. You shouldn't be playing defense with your hands on the ball handler anyway.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nod:

fucking tv contracts. "espn wants more scoring" and instead of joe freshman learning to shoot we want him to run unimpeded to the hoop. shortening the shot clock would have been a better solution.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree. While it wi help Marquette best player Davante Gardner it's still a joke.

Gardner is already almost unguardable now with these new rules he will live at the line. Shot 20 today lol.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree. While it wi help Marquette best player Davante Gardner it's still a joke.

Gardner is already almost unguardable now with these new rules he will live at the line. Shot 20 today lol.

You think guys are going to keep fouling him, or do you think they'll play defense once they realize they're going to foul out?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think guys are going to keep fouling him, or do you think they'll play defense once they realize they're going to foul out?

The issue is you can't guard him. The new rule makes it almost impossible.

That said, it also makes him an even bigger liability on D as well since he relies on arm bars.

I just don't like the rules. 53 fts in a game is just stupid.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these fouls are slowing down the game... Indiana made a record 45 free throes and shot 52. The rules Re hurting the game right now.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the rule. The players will adjust. Teams were hacking on every possession. It was impossible to officiate. Over the yrs team like Missouri and Louisville would win or lose depending on whether the refs called the game tight or not. Both pressed and hacked all the way down the court. It was an extremely beneficial strategy

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uncfan103
You shouldn't be playing defense with your hands on the ball handler anyway.

I agree 100% with you uncfan103. This is basketball...not football and this is the way the rules were written. And by the way these rules were written a long time ago...not last week.

If the guy is faster than you ...gets by you....and heads toward the hoop with the basketball...then he's beaten your ass! You need to admit it to yourself....instead of grabbing his shirt....holding him...and trying to catch up. Hacking on him just shows that you can't compete with him.

It's about time the refs started calling the rules the way they were written.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mrhockey4242

Of course you can guard him......the same way he has to guard you. The players can and will adapt if the refs call it equitably. If neither of you can hack, push, or hold each other without a foul being called...then you will learn to keep your hands off if you want to stay in the game.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mrhockey4242

Of course you can guard him......the same way he has to guard you. The players can and will adapt if the refs call it equitably. If neither of you can hack, push, or hold each other without a foul being called...then you will learn to keep your hands off if you want to stay in the game.

You missed the point. Teams can't guard him even if they are allowed to hack. His footwork is beautiful and now with the new rules he will get fouled even more.

It helps my team. But I still don't like the constant lack of Rythmn it produces

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That said, it also makes him an even bigger liability on D as well since he relies on arm bars.

I just don't like the rules. 53 fts in a game is just stupid.

No, you just can't use your hands. Play defense with your feet and don't get physical and you're fine.

All these fouls are slowing down the game... Indiana made a record 45 free throes and shot 52. The rules Re hurting the game right now.

As far as free throws, they'll stop when players start playing defense and stop playing physical and grabbing onto people. I see no reason to believe players are going to play defense with their hands since it's very likely to get them fouled out if they keep doing it.

Once they stop fouling it'll be much better.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed the point. Teams can't guard him even if they are allowed to hack. His footwork is beautiful and now with the new rules he will get fouled even more.

It helps my team. But I still don't like the constant lack of Rythmn it produces

So, they can't guard him regardless of whether the defense is able to hack? They could just play off of him. How do you think defense was played in the past? Should players just hack the crap out of him (and not get called for a foul) because they can't play legit defense?

If players just stop fouling him after they get beat he won't be getting to the line constantly and it won't prevent a lack of rhythm.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uncfan103
If players just stop fouling him after they get beat he won't be getting to the line constantly and it won't prevent a lack of rhythm.

Also another point....your guards aren't the last line of defense. Unless your big guys are total stooges, they have a 50-50 chance of going up and blocking the shot when the player penetrates to the basket. But if the player is big, quick, and mobile, you're going to take an asswhipping either way...which translates to your coach...who needs to step it up in recruiting, and get his own big, quick, mobile defenders on the front line. At that point you have a game everybody enjoys watching......good offense vs good defense.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, they can't guard him regardless of whether the defense is able to hack? They could just play off of him. How do you think defense was played in the past? Should players just hack the crap out of him (and not get called for a foul) because they can't play legit defense?

It's not lacking legit defense it's lacking ability.

This is college not the pros. In the NBA all warrant being there. In college you have 300 and something teams.

You have kids 18-sometimes 24(miamis whole roster last year).

Adding these fouls just make it harder to stop already imposing players.

When conference play comes around it should be better as teams learn and as the competition is more level(assuming it's two mid to top conference teams). It's fun when basketball turns into a dog fight. This eliminates it.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not lacking legit defense it's lacking ability.

This is college not the pros. In the NBA all warrant being there. In college you have 300 and something teams.

You have kids 18-sometimes 24(miamis whole roster last year).

Adding these fouls just make it harder to stop already imposing players.

When conference play comes around it should be better as teams learn and as the competition is more level(assuming it's two mid to top conference teams). It's fun when basketball turns into a dog fight. This eliminates it.

I don't really understand what your point is. Should teams not be rewarded for being more talented? Or you just think that less talented teams physically cannot play defense without fouling?

I think the new rules will be beneficial. And, I don't expect them to turn college basketball into a free throw shooting contest.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand what your point is. Should teams not be rewarded for being more talented? Or you just think that less talented teams physically cannot play defense without fouling?

I think the new rules will be beneficial. And, I don't expect them to turn college basketball into a free throw shooting contest.

The point is simple. You don't want a game being slowed up by free throws. It's already that so often in the past and it's only going to get worse. Look at some of the FTA for teams these first games. Basketball becomes weak if you are not allowed to bang around a little.

Being a Marquette fan what the hell was I supposed to take away from the southern game aside from we need work making free throws. It was 40 minutes of hack a shaq.

I liked how well were prepared for the new rules but it takes away so much of the physical play. The great teams will adjust but I'm hoping come conference play teams are allowed to play more. More flow and just all around better competitiveness. Nothing better than watching two teams exchange blows.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the MU game so I don't know exactly how they called it, but from my understanding of the rules and new emphasis, they're trying to cut down on physical play on the perimeter. I don't often see hand-checking in the paint.

I'm all for allowing more physical play in the paint, but I think there should be a little more freedom of movement on the perimeter. If it slows down the game a little while teams adjust, so be it.

Also worth noting, iirc Big East officials were really whistle-happy the last couple of years anyway, so I'm not at all surprised to see a lot of fouls called in the Marquette or Seton Hall games.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is simple. You don't want a game being slowed up by free throws. It's already that so often in the past and it's only going to get worse. Look at some of the FTA for teams these first games. Basketball becomes weak if you are not allowed to bang around a little.

Being a Marquette fan what the hell was I supposed to take away from the southern game aside from we need work making free throws. It was 40 minutes of hack a shaq.

I liked how well were prepared for the new rules but it takes away so much of the physical play. The great teams will adjust but I'm hoping come conference play teams are allowed to play more. More flow and just all around better competitiveness. Nothing better than watching two teams exchange blows.

Don't foul. It's not just the banging around that I had a problem with, you should be able to dribble and cut without being body checked and held and grabbed.

I don't think it will become a hack a shaq because it'd be stupid for teams to foul. Players aren't going to want to foul out, they'll play smarter, coaches won't teach them to grab and hold, it'll be much better IMO, just give it time.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the MU game so I don't know exactly how they called it, but from my understanding of the rules and new emphasis, they're trying to cut down on physical play on the perimeter. I don't often see hand-checking in the paint.

I'm all for allowing more physical play in the paint, but I think there should be a little more freedom of movement on the perimeter. If it slows down the game a little while teams adjust, so be it.

Also worth noting, iirc Big East officials were really whistle-happy the last couple of years anyway, so I'm not at all surprised to see a lot of fouls called in the Marquette or Seton Hall games.

That's correct. The block/charge rule was also adjusted to stop players from throwing themselves under an offensive player.