• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new helmet rule is dumb

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Automatic ejection for any player penalized for targeting like in college.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
They'll have to cut down on flagging it or it's going to be a huge problem simple as that.

If the HOF game is any indication you're going to have a lot of irate fans when games are lost because some guy barely dipped his head to make a tackle and gets flagged 15 yards for it.

Whenever you lower your shoulders it's going to lower your head and you have to lower your shoulders to make tackles and impossible to ask defenders to consistently make tackles without their helmet being involved in the collision.

There comes a point to where the NFL is going to have to say football is a contact sport that's potentially dangerous to your health. You know the risks so either you accept them or just don't play.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL needs to move to a product with fewer flags, not more. Playoff football is enjoyable to watch. Regular season football is nothing but flags. They might as well put advertisements on the ref's uniform since they're on the screen so often.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the rule is dumb at all. I think its a huge step forward, and the whole lets just play flag comment is just dumb

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what the real answer is exactly, but I do think the sport should be made as safe as possible without changing it too drastically. Probably easier said than done. But although I like old school style football, I also don't like the idea of knowing that a lot of the players end up with mush for brains when certain changes could potentially reduce that significantly.

Personally, I'm over the "big hits" culture of football. I'm a lot more impressed with guys who know how to execute fundamental tackles and skillfully strip/knock the ball away when trying to force a fumble than simply laying into a guy to smash them as hard as possible in an attempt to jar the ball loose, for example. If you want to watch a sport where the main goal is to ring the bells of the opponent, then go watch boxing or something. Football should be treated as a contact sport that is potentially dangerous due to its nature, but the sport would be better off without the embracing of "hard hits" culture IMO. Furthermore, it's getting old watching over half of NFL players these days whiffing on tackles that would have been a lot more routine a couple decades ago since being able to make clean tackles consistently is a low priority for most players in the current era.

On the other side of the same coin, they need to quit making things so easy on the offense. The fact that chucking up a 20-50 yard pass that is done more to intentionally draw a PI call than to actually have the receiver make a catch is a real thing is a disgrace. PI should never be called unless a receiver is clearly thrown off his route past the 5 yard line or the defenders mob him to prevent a catch before the ball makes it to his hands.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... It's partially the AFC North's fault lol.

giphy.gif

gio2.0.gif

Burfict_hit_brown_1.0.gif

badjuju.0.gif

sportsmanship.0.gif
held on to the ball

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple it's called risk mitigation.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every time the refs throw a flag, take a drink. You'll be dead by halftime.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll have to cut down on flagging it or it's going to be a huge problem simple as that.

If the HOF game is any indication you're going to have a lot of irate fans when games are lost because some guy barely dipped his head to make a tackle and gets flagged 15 yards for it.

Whenever you lower your shoulders it's going to lower your head and you have to lower your shoulders to make tackles and impossible to ask defenders to consistently make tackles without their helmet being involved in the collision.

There comes a point to where the NFL is going to have to say football is a contact sport that's potentially dangerous to your health. You know the risks so either you accept them or just don't play.
and the runner is lowering his shoulders and head... so is the defender supposed to take it in the chest and drag the guy down?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the runner is lowering his shoulders and head... so is the defender supposed to take it in the chest and drag the guy down?
Roy sporting his shinny new Philly 2018 helmet
DSCF5279[1].jpg

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
runner and defender heading towards each other... runner lowers is shoulders and head, how does the defender make a legal tackle in today's pussy NFL?
Not my problem. The NFL came up with it.

This post wasn't so much based on how players should tackle now. We've discussed that ad nauseum.

I just wanted to point out how snazzy you look in your protective head ensemble. Do you have to wear it indoors or just when you're on the bus?

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my problem. The NFL came up with it.

This post wasn't so much based on how players should tackle now. We've discussed that ad nauseum.

I just wanted to point out how snazzy you look in your protective head ensemble. Do you have to wear it indoors or just when you're on the bus?

so nothing to do with my post... just you trolling.

:billb:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so nothing to do with my post... just you trolling.

:billb:
Again it's been discussed ad nauseum. You can bitch, whine or agree with the new rule all day and it won't have an effect.

So yes making fun of/trolling you and the other Philly derps why not? The majority of you will disappear after this season anyway. Need to get it in while I can.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again it's been discussed ad nauseum. You can bitch, whine or agree with the new rule all day and it won't have an effect.

So yes making fun of/trolling you and the other Philly derps why not? The majority of you will disappear after this season anyway. Need to get it in while I can.

Where do you wicked douches go when TB12 finally retires and the patriots can't even win their division?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you wicked douches go when TB12 finally retires and the patriots can't even win their division?
Well if that happens we can spend time at Gillette looking at ALL those Lombardi's. Philly on the other hand will just go back to eating horse shit, peeing on children and of course throwing snow balls at Santa because he's drunk.

Enjoy oblivion my friend.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if that happens we can spend time at Gillette looking at ALL those Lombardi's. Philly on the other hand will just go back to eating horse shit, peeing on children and of course throwing snow balls at Santa because he's drunk.

Enjoy oblivion my friend.

wicked sick references that have nothing to do with 99.999999999999% of eagles fans.

Enjoy jerking it to your trophies.