• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry...lol

You know, I used to be a huuuuuuuuuge Bullets fan back in the day.

I was stationed at Fort Meade, MD in 1994 which is the year they traded for my Favorite player, Webber.

That Team got derailed by that Mark Price trade and the Howard/Webber r*pe allegations.

But, that 1997 series against the Bulls, when they had Rod Strickland, was the best 4 game sweep in the history of basketball...lol

I'm serious.

Those games were a emotional rollercoaster for me. But, I was proud of the way they fought.

Tracey Murray, Juwan Howard,...hell, even Calbert Chaney found his balls in that series.

....they even had a young, green Ben Wallace.

I didn't know that! Awesome!

The Mark Price trade was part of a long list of horrible moves that all looked the same.

Webber for Mitch Richmond
Rasheed Wallace for Rod Strickland
Rip Hamilton for Jerry Stackhouse

I could go on....

They had 60% of the champ Piston starting 5.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry...lol

You know, I used to be a huuuuuuuuuge Bullets fan back in the day.

I was stationed at Fort Meade, MD in 1994 which is the year they traded for my Favorite player, Webber.

That Team got derailed by that Mark Price trade and the Howard/Webber r*pe allegations.

But, that 1997 series against the Bulls, when they had Rod Strickland, was the best 4 game sweep in the history of basketball...lol

I'm serious.

Those games were a emotional rollercoaster for me. But, I was proud of the way they fought.

Tracey Murray, Juwan Howard,...hell, even Calbert Chaney found his balls in that series.

....they even had a young, green Ben Wallace.

Just missed the Manute Bol era, eh.....

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just missed the Manute Bol era, eh.....
They still had big George Muresan....

But, you can't make this kinda shit up....lol

muggsy.jpg

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still had big George Muresan....

But, you can't make this kinda shit up....lol

muggsy.jpg

There was a short stretch where Manute ended up back on the Bullets after his run in GS and they had BOTH Bol and Muresan.

The crazy thing about that was seeing the two stand next to each other. Bol obviously had super long arms and legs, but Gheorge had relatively short legs and a super long torso. Bol's waist was at Muresan's pectoral area, yet Muresan was taller. Looked pretty ridiculous.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a short stretch where Manute ended up back on the Bullets after his run in GS and they had BOTH Bol and Muresan.

The crazy thing about that was seeing the two stand next to each other. Bol obviously had super long arms and legs, but Gheorge had relatively short legs and a super long torso. Bol's waist was at Muresan's pectoral area, yet Muresan was taller. Looked pretty ridiculous.
I went to the Allstar game in Vegas and I took a picture with Bol.

I'm a shade under 5'5 and I looked like a toddler.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice.

Probably looked like the picture of Shaq with Simone Biles

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons joins Magic, Big O in milestone club

Philadelphia 76ers point guard Ben Simmons recorded his eighth triple-double on Thursday night in a win over the New York Knicks, the second-highest total for a rookie in NBA history.

With 13 points, 10 rebounds and 12 assists against the Knicks, Simmons broke a tie with Hall of Famer Magic Johnson, who had seven triple-doubles as a rookie. Oscar Robertson holds the NBA record with 26 triple-doubles in his rookie season.

Simmons also surpassed 500 total assists for the season in the Sixers' 118-110 win over the Knicks. Simmons, Johnson and Robertson are the only players to have at least 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 500 assists in their rookie seasons.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Folks haven't mentioned this kid much lately. Even though he is out of the race, he is having a FANTASTIC season.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love my Spida Mitchell.

But, this race is probably over.

Bruh.....

This kid is a MONSTA!

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes!

This kid is laying it on thick and the kind folks of Utah are eating that Shit up....lol

I wonder if Denver has regrets? Seemed like a great swap for both teams early on.

Now?

:dhd:

Ps. Kudos to his PR Team.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I was 13 or 14 years old I got to go to a private practice the Blazers were having before playing the Warriors. After the practice was over me and a couple other friends got to go and get autographs from the players as they came out. Got Rasheed's, Brian Grant, Jermaine O'Neal, Mighty Mouse, etc.

But then out walks Arvydas Sabonis all 7'4 of him and it was literally like looking at a guy who from a different planet. This guy was enormous. He pretty much doubled my size. Biggest man I've ever seen in person and stood next to. He was an absolute giant.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was 13 or 14 years old I got to go to a private practice the Blazers were having before playing the Warriors. After the practice was over me and a couple other friends got to go and get autographs from the players as they came out. Got Rasheed's, Brian Grant, Jermaine O'Neal, Mighty Mouse, etc.

But then out walks Arvydas Sabonis all 7'4 of him and it was literally like looking at a guy who from a different planet. This guy was enormous. He pretty much doubled my size. Biggest man I've ever seen in person and stood next to. He was an absolute giant.
Lol!!!!

It's funny.

The thing I was least prepared for was the facial distortion.

I was gaga over Chris Webber and got to shake his hand at one of the Bullets games.

He was walking down the tunnel, injured of course, and reached up to dap up some fans.

He looked exactly the same. But, streeeeeeeetched out.

It was kinda scary...lol

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love my Spida Mitchell.

But, this race is probably over.

Bruh.....

This kid is a MONSTA!

Bill Simmons had Ryan Russillo on his podcast this week and Rusillo was arguing that it is Mitchell because he is the go to guy in the 4th quarter whereas the Sixers fade pretty bad in the 4th quarter.

The argument is logical to a point. However he kinda lays the 4th quarter Sixers woes completely at Simmons feet. He ignores that Embiid is basically a rookie+ and Dario Saric is a 2nd year guy and the Sixers bench has been atrocious this year. The Sixers are a VERY young team.

I do think the race is going to be tight but Simmons has a few too many eye popping stats and will ultimately take the award. It's kinda unfair to Mitchell because he is absolutely having a monster rookie year that would win you RoY in almost any year.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Simmons had Ryan Russillo on his podcast this week and Rusillo was arguing that it is Mitchell because he is the go to guy in the 4th quarter whereas the Sixers fade pretty bad in the 4th quarter.

The argument is logical to a point. However he kinda lays the 4th quarter Sixers woes completely at Simmons feet. He ignores that Embiid is basically a rookie+ and Dario Saric is a 2nd year guy and the Sixers bench has been atrocious this year. The Sixers are a VERY young team.

I do think the race is going to be tight but Simmons has a few too many eye popping stats and will ultimately take the award. It's kinda unfair to Mitchell because he is absolutely having a monster rookie year that would win you RoY in almost any year.

I think one similar ROY race would be Carmelo vs. Lebron. Lebron put up the overall better stats, but Melo was the man on a team who not only made the playoffs, but did so in the Western Conference which incredibly tough that yet. Lebron's team didn't even make the playoffs.

I still contend that Melo actually deserved the ROY over Lebron. But Lebron dominated headlines, much like Simmons has done.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one similar ROY race would be Carmelo vs. Lebron. Lebron put up the overall better stats, but Melo was the man on a team who not only made the playoffs, but did so in the Western Conference which incredibly tough that yet. Lebron's team didn't even make the playoffs.

I still contend that Melo actually deserved the ROY over Lebron. But Lebron dominated headlines, much like Simmons has done.
Outstanding comparison...

:first:

Grant Hill and J Kidd co-ROY are similar too.

But, yours us much better because Ben is actually closer to Hill's numbers.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a pretty good comparison. Heck it wouldn't shock me if both of the career paths are somewhat similar.

I think it is a fair argument to talk about Mitchell's late game contributions. But I would also argue that the Jazz were an inherently good team. They won 51 games last year. Yes they lost Hayward. So that was certainly going impact their win count. And Mitchell helped replace a lot of that lost production. But the team will almost certainly wind up with considerably fewer wins than it had last year.

Conversely the Sixers won 28 games last year. They could wind up with 48 or so wins this year. That is a pretty dramatic improvement. Of course there are other variables with that as well. A full season of Embiid. Saric with a full season under his belt. JJ Reddick providing real perimeter scoring. So you certainly can't say that Simmons is the reason why the Sixers are so much better.

So ultimately it is hard to know how much of an impact either player really has had on their team. Mitchell has been money late in the game. But Simmons has been a really good game manager. I don't really know if you can determine who has had a bigger impact.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty good comparison. Heck it wouldn't shock me if both of the career paths are somewhat similar.

I think it is a fair argument to talk about Mitchell's late game contributions. But I would also argue that the Jazz were an inherently good team. They won 51 games last year. Yes they lost Hayward. So that was certainly going impact their win count. And Mitchell helped replace a lot of that lost production. But the team will almost certainly wind up with considerably fewer wins than it had last year.

Conversely the Sixers won 28 games last year. They could wind up with 48 or so wins this year. That is a pretty dramatic improvement. Of course there are other variables with that as well. A full season of Embiid. Saric with a full season under his belt. JJ Reddick providing real perimeter scoring. So you certainly can't say that Simmons is the reason why the Sixers are so much better.

So ultimately it is hard to know how much of an impact either player really has had on their team. Mitchell has been money late in the game. But Simmons has been a really good game manager. I don't really know if you can determine who has had a bigger impact.

Yes, but the Sixers also won 28 games while Joel Embiid only played in 31 games. They also acquired JJ Redick. Just Embiid being there opens up the game for so many others that production can rise across the board.

I'm not detracting what Simmons has done so far. I think he's been amazing and has one of the highest ceilings of any NBA player in the league right now. In 3 years we might be talking about him easily as a top 10 player, if not higher if he can get a decent working outside shot.

The Jazz lost an All-star. To start the year Utah's o/u on wins was 38.5. The 76ers were at 40.5. Utah has actually exceeded expectations already and weren't pegged to be a playoff team. The 76ers were in most people's playoff brackets.

I think Simmons has had the impact that lots people expected versus Mitchell who nobody predicted. That's not to say one is more or less valuable based on that, but it will hold weight in the voters eyes.