• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the draft, though. It doesn't matter if you've got the best scouting money can buy, a large part of it is like spinning a roulette wheel. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you don't. Like @tlance said, that was part of their plan. The Process was about being bad for multiple years to accumulate top draft picks because the analysis shows that at least one of those picks over the course of time should hit on a franchise player. It did. So they missed on 3 or 4 picks, but hit big on 2.

Exactly right. And Fultz may turn into a complete dud. Or he may be a competent player. We'll see. But the Sixers almost certainly have one more high lottery pick left(Lakers pick next year or Kings pick in 2019) to take another stab.

They hit two possible super stars. That's often enough to be a dynasty.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly right. And Fultz may turn into a complete dud. Or he may be a competent player. We'll see. But the Sixers almost certainly have one more high lottery pick left(Lakers pick next year or Kings pick in 2019) to take another stab.

They hit two possible super stars. That's often enough to be a dynasty.

Although,

Their view should have changed this past draft with Simmons and Embiid already in tow.

Based on what I have seen up until now, I can't comprehend how so many scouts had Fultz at 1. It is mind boggling. Especially with so many other good players in this draft class.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although,

Their view should have changed this past draft with Simmons and Embiid already in tow.

Based on what I have seen up until now, I can't comprehend how so many scouts had Fultz at 1. It is mind boggling. Especially with so many other good players in this draft class.
Not just the scouts.

We are chair GM's had him there too.

Well, most of us.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just the scouts.

We are chair GM's had him there too.

Well, most of us.

You are correct. I had him there.

Although, I literally never once saw him play. I even said that multiple times. My ranking (as I am sure many were in the same boat) was based on Scout consensus and the fact that 2-5 looked really good, but all had obvious flaws/question marks.

But yeah, I thought is was a good pick when the Sixers made it.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Although, I literally never once saw him play. I even said that multiple times. My ranking (as I am sure many were in the same boat) was based on Scout consensus and the fact that 2-5 looked really good, but all had obvious flaws/question marks.

Saw him play 3 times, last was against Ball and UCLA last February.

But, yeah...I bought the hype.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although,

Well to be fair we haven't really seen that much of Fultz as a pro. He was getting praise in summer league until he hurt himself.

With 20/20 hindsight, certainly other players would have made sense. But we should be mindful of situation and fit.

Of the top 15 or so players there are probably only 3 I would say that the Sixers would seriously want a do over about. Tatum, Smith and Mitchell. And I'm not really sure how well Tatum would fit into the team.

Everyone else would either be a bad fit(Collins, Bam, Markanen) or is struggling as well(Monk, Jackson, Isaac).

Fultz made the most sense based on having Simmons and Embiid and Saric. He is a versatile guard who can play point or the 2 and doesn't need the ball in his hands and he has, had at least, a good outside shot.

I don't watch nearly enough college basketball to know whether a player can be good or not. I really liked the Kentucky guards when I saw them last year and one has looked awful and the other has been utterly average. But the people that do watch a lot of basketball seemed to all think that Fultz was the real deal. And talent wise he may be. But his mental toughness may be a problem.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to be fair we haven't really seen that much of Fultz as a pro. He was getting praise in summer league until he hurt himself.

With 20/20 hindsight, certainly other players would have made sense. But we should be mindful of situation and fit.

Of the top 15 or so players there are probably only 3 I would say that the Sixers would seriously want a do over about. Tatum, Smith and Mitchell. And I'm not really sure how well Tatum would fit into the team.

Everyone else would either be a bad fit(Collins, Bam, Markanen) or is struggling as well(Monk, Jackson, Isaac).

Fultz made the most sense based on having Simmons and Embiid and Saric. He is a versatile guard who can play point or the 2 and doesn't need the ball in his hands and he has, had at least, a good outside shot.

I don't watch nearly enough college basketball to know whether a player can be good or not. I really liked the Kentucky guards when I saw them last year and one has looked awful and the other has been utterly average. But the people that do watch a lot of basketball seemed to all think that Fultz was the real deal. And talent wise he may be. But his mental toughness may be a problem.
Agree with all of this.

I would probably add Fox.

But, like you said, that's using hindsight.

Long-term, Bam could have been a good fit.

But, no way would anyone have taken him that high.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with all of this.

I would probably add Fox.

But, like you said, that's using hindsight.

Long-term, Bam could have been a good fit.

But, no way would anyone have taken him that high.

I would also say that Bam would not be as productive with the Sixers given their roster and style of play.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although,

Did you watch him do the pick & roll and shoot the 18-21 foot jumper at UWash? How did it look vs. Lonzo ?

I don't know what the hell happened this summer -- but I'd take him over Lonzo today. )i'd give Danny credit -- it's debate able vs. Tatum)

I also don't think the 76ers screwed up. They showed great patience with Embiid and Simmons. I don't think it is their fault at all. I've had rotator cuff issues -- I think it is in his head.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He looked like Derrick Rose (like the good Derrick Rose, not the one with rocks in his knees). That's why he was rated so high. He was explosive. Could get the basket with ease. Had a reliable jumper and while his percentages weren't great, they were still good by prospect standards and you figured those percentages would get better as he grew into his game (like Westbrook and Wall). The UW team was hot garbage, opposing teams focused everything they had on Fultz, and he still couldn't be stopped. That's why I keep saying the Sixers screwed this kid up. It wasn't a mirage. All those scouts and GMs saw the same thing. He was a legit #1 worthy candidate. Personally, I didn't think he was a runaway candidate like an Anthony Davis as some media scouting reports seemed to play up, but still worthy. Something clearly has gone wrong. It's not just flaws showing up.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch him do the pick & roll and shoot the 18-21 foot jumper at UWash? How did it look vs. Lonzo ?

I don't know what the hell happened this summer -- but I'd take him over Lonzo today. )i'd give Danny credit -- it's debate able vs. Tatum)

I also don't think the 76ers screwed up. They showed great patience with Embiid and Simmons. I don't think it is their fault at all. I've had rotator cuff issues -- I think it is in his head.

Different management though. The latter guys were under Hinkie. Bryan Colangelo runs things now and he's been doing everything he can to distance himself from anything Hinkie did. The NBA essentially stepped in and removed Hinkie and put in Colangelo because they were embarrassed by The Process for how long it had gone on. So Colangelo, seeing that Fultz got hurt in SL, didn't want to shut Fultz down right then because it would look just like what Hinkie did with Embiid, Simmons, and Noel. "Oh there they go again! Shutting a guy down, tanking another season". They wanted him ready to go for the season. So they had him push through some things he probably shouldn't have. The irony is Fultz has now effectively been red shirted, just like Embiid, Simmons, and Noel.

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. There's something going on with him (Fultz) still.

I watch a lot of college hoops and the kid could really play

Maybe so, but I watched EVERY game of his (Fultz) at UW.
The guy has skills, but is NOT motivated. Plays soft.

Never EVER saw the GREAT #1 pick in the NBA Draft show his Leadership Skills. Might be important.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donavan FRICKING Mitchell.

My goodness...lol

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitchell is putting up big points on volume shooting.

It does seem that the race has boiled down to Mitchell vs Simmons. Tatum has faded a bit.

Last night's stat lines are interesting

Mitchell 9-28 for 25 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals
Simmons 6-8 for 13 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, 3 blocks

The Jazz are on fire right now. Mitchell has definitely helped that along.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the rookie team vs the team world game should be better than the actual all star game.

3 Lakers vs 3 76'ers....might be a glimpse into future NBA Finals matchup

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the rookie team vs the team world game should be better than the actual all star game.

3 Lakers vs 3 76'ers....might be a glimpse into future NBA Finals matchup
Lonzo probably won't play.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitchell is putting up big points on volume shooting.

It does seem that the race has boiled down to Mitchell vs Simmons. Tatum has faded a bit.

Last night's stat lines are interesting

Mitchell 9-28 for 25 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals
Simmons 6-8 for 13 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, 3 blocks

The Jazz are on fire right now. Mitchell has definitely helped that along.

It's a razor thin race.

But, If it ended today, it would be Mitchell.

Yes, he's a volume shooter.

But, he is also the #1 option and catalyst for their winning.

Embiid is in that role for the Sixers.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a razor thin race.

But, If it ended today, it would be Mitchell.

Yes, he's a volume shooter.

But, he is also the #1 option and catalyst for their winning.

Embiid is in that role for the Sixers.

Well the Jazz are on a tear right now. Certainly if they keep winning I would say that Mitchell is a lock for the RoY. If the Jazz wind up with 45 wins or so then Mitchell will almost certainly be RoY.