• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see what Coangelo said?

When asked what his shooting range was Coangelo basically said at the rim, in the paint.

That may be his range right now. Heck, when both Magic and Kidd came into the league, their range wasn't much deeper. He can start there and gradually move farther away as he improves and gets more comfortable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's mental with Fultz, and that's worse...I'm

Agree. This is part of why I think he might just need to play. Lonzo didn't stop shooting altogether, but his attempts went down considerably for awhile and he used his play in other areas to get/keep his confidence until he figured out his shot.

If they play him, maybe he sees himself contributing in other ways, stops thinking about his shot (which is probably part of his problem) and just shoots?

I don't claim to be any kind of "shot guru" but it doesn't seem like anything they're trying is really working and 1 thing I do know is that players don't typically get better by not playing.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. This is part of why I think he might just need to play. Lonzo didn't stop shooting altogether, but his attempts went down considerably for awhile and he used his play in other areas to get/keep his confidence until he figured out his shot.

If they play him, maybe he sees himself contributing in other ways, stops thinking about his shot (which is probably part of his problem) and just shoots?

I don't claim to be any kind of "shot guru" but it doesn't seem like anything they're trying is really working and 1 thing I do know is that players don't typically get better by not playing.
Yeah, this is weird.

Maybe baptism by fire is the way to handle this.

If he isn't having discomfort, babying him won't solve the problem.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is weird.

Maybe baptism by fire is the way to handle this.

If he isn't having discomfort, babying him won't solve the problem.

Seems like it might be worth a try. :noidea:

As I said, I'm no shot guru, but I did coach high school basketball for a few years and teaching kids how to shoot is part of what you have to do at that level.

2 things I learned were that some players just have a funky form and you have to let them shoot however they are comfortable and there's always a point where you have to just run them out there and see what they can do and what they can figure out regardless of their form.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Fultz situation is just bizarre.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a disaster. Wasn't he perfectly fine in summer league? That kid must be so frustrated......at least he's young

He got hurt in the summer league and never really recovered. He looked good before that.

I think the Sixers are really at fault on how they handled the situation.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like it might be worth a try. :noidea:

As I said, I'm no shot guru, but I did coach high school basketball for a few years and teaching kids how to shoot is part of what you have to do at that level.

2 things I learned were that some players just have a funky form and you have to let them shoot however they are comfortable and there's always a point where you have to just run them out there and see what they can do and what they can figure out regardless of their form.

To a point, I agree.

But, one thing I learned is that it is counterproductive for a player working on reconstructing their shooting form to take shots in games.

It takes thousands of reps to re-train muscles to the point where the new form is the default. Game shots are likely to revert back to old habits and they literally set the process back.

That is why a player should NEVER work on major form changes during the season. Subtle mechanical issues, sure, but not a complete rebuild.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To a point, I agree.

But, one thing I learned is that it is counterproductive for a player working on reconstructing their shooting form to take shots in games.

It takes thousands of reps to re-train muscles to the point where the new form is the default. Game shots are likely to revert back to old habits and they literally set the process back.

That is why a player should NEVER work on major form changes during the season. Subtle mechanical issues, sure, but not a complete rebuild.

I agree. But if I understand the Fultz situation correctly, his form was fine before he apparently hurt his shoulder. So I don't see how he could have screwed it up so badly that it's taking this long to fix it.

It kind of seems like they decided to just completely remake his shot, which doesn't seem like a very good idea.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sixers have fucked Fultz up. It's that simple. He was fine in college. There's a reason he went #1. But he got hurt in SL, they misdiagnosed the severity and had him still working out thru the injury. To make it worse, they then starting fucking with this shooting motion. Now he's totally wrecked. He doesn't trust that he's healed because they misdiagnosed him and he doesn't know which way to shoot because his natural instincts are fighting the new stuff he was taught.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sixers have fucked Fultz up. It's that simple. He was fine in college. There's a reason he went #1. But he got hurt in SL, they misdiagnosed the severity and had him still working out thru the injury. To make it worse, they then starting fucking with this shooting motion. Now he's totally wrecked. He doesn't trust that he's healed because they misdiagnosed him and he doesn't know which way to shoot because his natural instincts are fighting the new stuff he was taught.

It's almost like they may need to trade him or he may need to try and force a trade to save his career. By the time a player gets to the NBA, his shot is his shot. It should only be messed with in extreme cases and Fultz's case shouldn't have been seen as extreme, imo.

That's why the Lakers ultimately decided to let Lonzo figure things out re: his shot.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like they may need to trade him or he may need to try and force a trade to save his career. By the time a player gets to the NBA, his shot is his shot. It should only be messed with in extreme cases and Fultz's case shouldn't have been seen as extreme, imo.

That's why the Lakers ultimately decided to let Lonzo figure things out re: his shot.

As much as the Sixers been tanking lately, they really missed on several loterry picks. Embiid, Simmons, and Saric been the only ones to play out well.

2013 draft- Nerlens Noel and MCW- Both disappointments. Could have had McCollum and Steven Adams instead. Greek Freak also went 15th in that draft
2014 draft- Embiid and Saric- Great draft once Embiid got healthy
2015 draft- Okafor- Turned out to be a disappointment. Could have had Porzingis
2016 draft- Simmons- Great draft

Just imagine where Philly could have been if they didn't drop the ball in 2013 and 2015.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as the Sixers been tanking lately, they really missed on several loterry picks. Embiid, Simmons, and Saric been the only ones to play out well.

2013 draft- Nerlens Noel and MCW- Both disappointments. Could have had McCollum and Steven Adams instead. Greek Freak also went 15th in that draft

Just imagine where Philly could have been if they didn't drop the ball in 2013 and 2015.

Damn. They'd be scary as hell and might be the East faves right now.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holy shit...lol

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair though,

They swung for the fences with every pick. That was part of their plan design. They drafted players with superstar upside, and when they realized they were not going to reach it, they moved on. Had they hit on McCollum or Giannis, they would not have landed Simmons and Embiid.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the draft, though. It doesn't matter if you've got the best scouting money can buy, a large part of it is like spinning a roulette wheel. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you don't. Like @tlance said, that was part of their plan. The Process was about being bad for multiple years to accumulate top draft picks because the analysis shows that at least one of those picks over the course of time should hit on a franchise player. It did. So they missed on 3 or 4 picks, but hit big on 2.