• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it is sounding to me like we are getting close to a return of Markelle Fultz to the court. At this point, barring some surprising new piece of information, I would expect him to be on the court within the next 2 weeks. 3 tops.

I doubt his shot is working super well but it does appear that the Sixers are looking to make him the 2nd team PG and play a similar game to Ben, until his shot comes back assuming it does.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it is sounding to me like we are getting close to a return of Markelle Fultz to the court. At this point, barring some surprising new piece of information, I would expect him to be on the court within the next 2 weeks. 3 tops.

I doubt his shot is working super well but it does appear that the Sixers are looking to make him the 2nd team PG and play a similar game to Ben, until his shot comes back assuming it does.
Was watching one of the programs yesterday, on ESPN, maybe the Jump, Soortsnation..

They suggested that his head is so messed up that this could be a lost Season.

As in: Shutdown for the rest of the year, lost .....

That has to be hyperbole, right?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
source.gif

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching one of the programs yesterday, on ESPN, maybe the Jump, Soortsnation..

They suggested that his head is so messed up that this could be a lost Season.

As in: Shutdown for the rest of the year, lost .....

That has to be hyperbole, right?

Most of the programs broker in hyperbole.

The media knows almost nothing except about 5 minutes a day of practice that they are allowed to watch.

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if the Sixers shelve Fultz for the season unless he has a physical injury. You don't fix mental issues by keeping a player in street clothes.

I don't even understand why that would be a serious consideration. That would only make sense if Fultz still has lingering pain. If this is a mental thing the LAST thing you would want is to shelve him and let him stew in that for 9 months.

Brett Brown certainly didn't sound like he was worried about shelving Fultz for the year. His words make it sound like they are going to bring in Fultz in a way to maximize his potential. Thus put him at the point and play similar to Ben.

For the Sixers, who hope to nab a playoff spot but certainly don't have title aspirations, they can't put someone out there that is a huge hole, but they are almost certainly going to be willing to put Fultz out there to work through his issues if at all possible. But even if Fultz's perimeter shot is still lost, I would argue that a backcourt of Fultz/McConnell is better than a backcourt of McConnell/Bayless. McConnell has been pretty effective shooting the ball so far, although that may drop a bit if he has to play away from the ball.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the programs broker in hyperbole.

The media knows almost nothing except about 5 minutes a day of practice that they are allowed to watch.

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if the Sixers shelve Fultz for the season unless he has a physical injury. You don't fix mental issues by keeping a player in street clothes.

I don't even understand why that would be a serious consideration. That would only make sense if Fultz still has lingering pain. If this is a mental thing the LAST thing you would want is to shelve him and let him stew in that for 9 months.

Brett Brown certainly didn't sound like he was worried about shelving Fultz for the year. His words make it sound like they are going to bring in Fultz in a way to maximize his potential. Thus put him at the point and play similar to Ben.

For the Sixers, who hope to nab a playoff spot but certainly don't have title aspirations, they can't put someone out there that is a huge hole, but they are almost certainly going to be willing to put Fultz out there to work through his issues if at all possible. But even if Fultz's perimeter shot is still lost, I would argue that a backcourt of Fultz/McConnell is better than a backcourt of McConnell/Bayless. McConnell has been pretty effective shooting the ball so far, although that may drop a bit if he has to play away from the ball.
Brown gave a pretty interesting quote about the situation...

This sounds like it's his head that's the problem.

Even if his shoulder is now healthy, he certainly doesn't look confident in taking outside shots. Understandably, Sixers coach Brett Brown was asked about Fultz's form, and noted that he's never experience anything like this.

He also gave a more lengthy answer about Fultz's form, and said that they have to find home plate first, before they work on the finer points of Fultz's release.

Brown's full answer:

When you start looking at what he did, and his free throws, and how he got -- he's a rise-up guy. He's a live-ball, off-the-dribble, rise-up guy. Loading up, and being like, Kyle Korver type, that wasn't what he was. He was a wiggly, do what he wants to guard. And so, when you go back, and you say, 'How do you find that again?'

Whether it's just as a free-throw shooter, whether it's as a rise-up -- cause if I'm 6-5 and you're not point guard, I can just shoot over you -- or it's live ball, people back off, bam, he gets open when people go under a pick-and-roll. How we find what he was, is what I'm most interested in now. As far as like, taking that and moving a hand or release point, or something, we'll deal with that after we've found home plate.

Brown's response is a good one, and it seems like a healthy approach. However, it also makes it seem as though Fultz isn't actually that close to playing, even if he's now healthy. If you're still looking for "home plate" with a guy who was the No. 1 overall pick, that's a definite concern.

Sixers coach on Markelle Fultz's form: 'I’ve never experienced anything like this'

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sixers aren't competing for a championship this season... so if there is no physical injury concern... you put Fultz out there and let him start to get acclimated.

Lonzo Ball has made some statistical improvements just being out there... have to hope for the same with Fultz. So even if there are going to be growing pains, now's the time to start working them out.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown gave a pretty interesting quote about the situation...

This sounds like it's his head that's the problem.

Brown's response is a good one, and it seems like a healthy approach. However, it also makes it seem as though Fultz isn't actually that close to playing, even if he's now healthy. If you're still looking for "home plate" with a guy who was the No. 1 overall pick, that's a definite concern.

He's made follow up comments since then basically saying that they are looking to maximize his talents.

Basically what Fultz almost certainly needs is to feel comfortable. His injury and the media scrutiny apparently hit him pretty hard. Now he needs to get back to normal.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sixers aren't competing for a championship this season... so if there is no physical injury concern... you put Fultz out there and let him start to get acclimated.

Lonzo Ball has made some statistical improvements just being out there... have to hope for the same with Fultz. So even if there are going to be growing pains, now's the time to start working them out.
Agree.

Because, if he is so mentally incapacitated that he can't function on the court at all....

That does not bold well for his future.

If you can't deal with the pressure of being the 2nd best rookie on a borderline playoff Team, what happens when they start to go deep in the post season, which they will in a few short years, and the game is on the line, 5 seconds on the clock, with the ball in his hands?

Seriously, I take back all the shit I said about Danny Ainge this Summer.

In the short-term, he nailed this draft trade.

Maybe in the long-term too if Tatum keeps growing.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. Obviously you don't start him but you get him out there and start playing. Put him at the point rather than the 2 and let him be a creator rather than a shooter until a time his shot comes back, assuming it does.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's made follow up comments since then basically saying that they are looking to maximize his talents.

Basically what Fultz almost certainly needs is to feel comfortable. His injury and the media scrutiny apparently hit him pretty hard. Now he needs to get back to normal.
He made that statement in the last 3 days.

I understand that these are very young people we are talking about.

But, if this is mental, I'm concerned.

Guys go thru stints of doubts and lack of self-confidence.

But, they don't sit out months because of it.

He hasn't played since October.

Part of that is due to injury. But, not all of it.

I don't want this kid to go the way of Nick Anderson.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

Because, if he is so mentally incapacitated that he can't function on the court at all....

I have not heard ANYTHING like that. Here is what Brown said a couple of days ago..

The last maybe five practices, he is the backup point guard. I give him the ball — TJ doesn't have the ball Markelle has the ball — and we play. I coach him like I coach Ben Simmons. We run plays and we run our structure and so on. And he looks good! You can see why he was the first player chosen; stuff he does with the ball, his ability to get in the lane and find people, [and] the hesitancy at times we see with his shot is true, it's real.

He can still impact an NBA game without having to shoot, he really can an impact an NBA game without having to shoot. That doesn't make him whole though, it doesn't make him whole. And finding what the next step is, where he can go into an NBA game and feel more whole than he currently does, is the timeline of okay, when does he go play?

Fultz's overall game is fine. His shot is broken right now. He said this about his shooting at the stripe..
"Today, six times I put him to the free throw line, and say hey Markelle, you make it you keep it, you don't it's the other team's ball, [the score] is 91-92. And he goes 5/6 and he looked good doing it," said Brown. "Trying to create pressure situations, give him the ball, integrate him with our team, the stuff you ask that what do we see that you don't see, is that. I've seen it now for maybe five practices, I believe."

That does not bold well for his future.

If you can't deal with the pressure of being the 2nd best rookie on a borderline playoff Team, what happens when they start to go deep in the post season, which they will in a few short years, and the game is on the line, 5 seconds on the clock, with the ball in his hands?

Seriously, I take back all the shit I said about Danny Ainge this Summer.

In the short-term, he nailed this draft trade.

Maybe in the long-term too if Tatum keeps growing.

Ainge didn't take Tatum over Fultz because he thought one was significantly better than the other. He did it because Tatum was a better fit for what they wanted to do. Same with the Sixers.

I agree that it is concerning that Fultz is wilting here but, at the same time, he's 19 struggled out of the gate. I'm hardly going to write him off because of that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made that statement in the last 3 days.

I understand that these are very young people we are talking about.

But, if this is mental, I'm concerned.

Guys go thru stints of doubts and lack of self-confidence.

But, they don't sit out months because of it.

He hasn't played since October.

Part of that is due to injury. But, not all of it.

I don't want this kid to go the way of Nick Anderson.

He had a legitimate injury. Which made him alter his shot which then affected his confidence. At least that is what every report I've read has said.

Maybe he'll pull a Rick Ankiel and never be able to shoot again but I've never heard that happen to a basketball player before.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmfao.......First Take is discussing this very situation.

Oh.

My.

God.

They said Fultz is the biggest bust since....

ANTHONY BENNETT.

Come the fuck on...lol

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not heard ANYTHING like that. Here is what Brown said a couple of days ago..

Fultz's overall game is fine. His shot is broken right now. He said this about his shooting at the stripe..

Ainge didn't take Tatum over Fultz because he thought one was significantly better than the other. He did it because Tatum was a better fit for what they wanted to do. Same with the Sixers.

I agree that it is concerning that Fultz is wilting here but, at the same time, he's 19 struggled out of the gate. I'm hardly going to write him off because of that.

I'm not trying to roast this kid.

But, even during the draft process, there were reports about his bad workouts.

Maybe his shoulder was already a issue by then, who knows?

But, there were concerns.

As a lifelong Clippers fan, I speak draft talk fluently.

It was out there before the draft.

Was fit a factor? Of course...

But, there were concerns as well.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes and no. If they are going to completely re-work his shot, then he shouldn't play anymore this season. If they aren't or they are going to wait until after the season, then they should go ahead and play him and see if he can figure it out.

With Lonzo, the Lakers have decided not to re-work his shot, so it's been about playing him and letting him figure it out, which he seems to be doing.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmfao.......First Take is discussing this very situation.

Oh.

My.

God.

They said Fultz is the biggest bust since....

ANTHONY BENNETT.

Come the fuck on...lol

Crap like this is why ESPN lacks credibility. Kid is a 19 year old rookie who had a legit injury that may very well have effected him and is almost certainly part of his struggles...but he's a bust. :L

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to roast this kid.

But, even during the draft process, there were reports about his bad workouts.

Maybe his shoulder was already a issue by then, who knows?

But, there were concerns.

As a lifelong Clippers fan, I speak draft talk fluently.

It was out there before the draft.

Was fit a factor? Of course...

But, there were concerns as well.

Well of course he wasn't a winner. He team only won 8 games. Duh.

Seriously, this is far too much speculation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They said some of the same shit about Ben Simmons.

"If he's so good, how come he couldn't get his team to the NCAA tournament?"

Simmons seems to be doing ok.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh....

It's regular Season.

It was beat up on Lonzo time, first half of the Season.

2 months of building skyscrapers with all those bricks he threw up and he had a career as Michael Carter-Williams to look forward to.

Now, it's Fultz turn.

Tatum or Mitchell will be next, followed by Fox and DSJ.

Let's rush to overreact is the name of the game these days.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. If they are going to completely re-work his shot, then he shouldn't play anymore this season. If they aren't or they are going to wait until after the season, then they should go ahead and play him and see if he can figure it out.

With Lonzo, the Lakers have decided not to re-work his shot, so it's been about playing him and letting him figure it out, which he seems to be doing.
Some people crumble under pressure, others rise above it.

* Dirk and Chauncey were hot buttered garbage as rookies*

Lonzo looks like he's the latter, these last few weeks. I hope Markelle is too because it makes the Sixers even better.

It's way to early to judge any of these guys.

Simmons, Tatum, Kuzma, Fox, DSJ and Mitchell look like the cream of the crop.

But, in a few years, Fultz, Lonzo, Markannen, Bam, Isaac, Nkittillina might make that statement look really foolish.