• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Myth of Peyton Manning Continues

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the sense that most of the NFL fan-base is oblivious to the blatant "Myth Building" that the Colts and now the Broncos have engaged in with respect to Peyton Manning's legacy.

We have been told that

Peyton is the coach on the field
Peyton is the offensive coordinator
Peyton brought his offense to Denver.

and now we are told... that Peyton was put in charge of recruiting a new center for the Broncos.
What a crock of shit.

Elway asked Peyton to take the lead on signing Lilja. When the Broncos lost two starting centers, quarterback Peyton Manning stepped up to find a new one.

and Now Get This !!! And Elway is glad that Manning can serve as not only the Broncos’ quarterback, but as an assistant to the general manager.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you finding these kind of things? Haven't found it on any of the national sports sites.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from all this info, I'd expect you to be sitting front and center in the FO. If that's the case, mind getting a pic of the new video board?

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you are getting the idea that the Colts actively/officially engaged in building up any sort of 'myth' around Peyton.

As a long time resident of Indy & follower of the Colts, the only 'official line' that I ever heard regarding Peyton on the field was that:

1) Tom Moore was the Offensive coordinator.

2) Tom would supply Peyton with a couple of play options for each down, based upon yardage needed, field position, etc., & let Peyton decide which play seemed most likely to succeed.

3)Tom trusted Peyton's ability to 'read' the Defense enough to audible out of one play to another if he felt it was necessary.

4) Peyton himself always claimed that, when he changed a play at the last second, it wasn't because he had read the Defense and decided "I know just the perfect play for this" but rather because he realized that the selected play was probably going the be the absolute WORST one to use given what the Defense appeared to be planning.

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBC Pro Football Talk... Front Page

LINK

Do you remember a play that Peyton didn't change? Do you ever remember him walking to the line of scrimmage and running the play? Never happened.

If you haven't heard all the rest of the BS emanating from the press, Irsay, Polian, and Elway... you have been living under a rock.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Elway is grooming Manning for a front office job when he retires. Who knows? Who really cares?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only explanation that I can think of for the OP is that he's feeling unusually anxious about the upcoming season. Lighten up, Ron.

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only explanation that I can think of for the OP is that he's feeling unusually anxious about the upcoming season. Lighten up, Ron.

Don't go down the juvenile path. Pats fear no team. Broncos fear no team. This is the big boys league.

With Peyton, I have seen this movie too many times.... being given credit for all kinds of things that can't be verified. e.g. coach on field.

When the story is on the front page of a major NFL news source, you notice. When you know the theme exists, the bs jumps out at you.

And Elway is glad that Manning can serve as not only the Broncos’ quarterback, but as an assistant to the general manager.

Do you think Peyton Manning is the assistant to the General Manager?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly has been a lovely morning, here under my rock.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway asked him to make a simple phone call to an old friend...Not sure that is earth shattering news. I have had bosses do that with me in the past asking me to call an old friend and see if they could help out with a project. Does that mean all of a sudden I have this great legend about me for making a simple phone call to a friend?

Also when it comes to him running the offense yes he makes reads at the line of scrimmage but a lot of what he is doing is making sure he and his receivers are seeing the exact same thing and making sure the OL understands what he is seeing as well to get the proper blocking. Him yelling things at the line of scrimmage is not always to change the play. If you don't understand that then I really question how much you really know about football.

Throw in Manning loves to play mind games with the defense with all of his yelling. At practice the other day he yelled at one of the refs to watch out because the ball was coming his way to which then the receiver cut right inside of the defender for an easy touchdown.

I think you just like drama. Maybe that is something you should really think about because this is really a nonstory. Yes the media ran with it but when news is slow they run with every little thing.

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you just like drama. Maybe that is something you should really think about because this is really a nonstory. Yes the media ran with it but when news is slow they run with every little thing.

This isn't drama... it's a real story, reported by a real NFL news outlet.

It's a stupid, stupid accolade to assign to a player, but they did it. Why does that get
your diaper in a knot?

I would think you would be thrilled to have another assistant to the General Manager.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a stupid, stupid accolade to assign to a player, but they did it. Why does that get
your diaper in a knot?

I would think you would be thrilled to have another assistant to the General Manager.

From here, it appears that it is in fact getting your panties in a bunch. Why else would you have started a thread on it?

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From here, it appears that it is in fact getting your panties in a bunch. Why else would you have started a thread on it?

Why start a thread on it? Who was the last active player that was described as the "assistant to the General Manager". Do you know of *any*?

I think it's a very odd story.

Why did you post in this thread if you aren't interested in the story?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

your diaper in a knot?

I think you have me confused with you as you're the one that seems to be in a hot mess over this whole ordeal. I just said that all he did was call a friend see how he was doing and what he thought about joining the Broncos. I'm sorry but that is not any kind of big news or any showing of Manning being a general manager part time. It makes sense for players to call players. I'm just really having a hard time understanding why this is such a big deal to you.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why start a thread on it? Who was the last active player that was described as the "assistant to the General Manager". Do you know of *any*?

I think it's a very odd story.

Why did you post in this thread if you aren't interested in the story?

Have you ever heard of Sarcasm or somebody saying a joke? If you have ever watched an interview of John Elway you would see he likes to mix in humor so saying something like "it is nice to have a new assistant to the General Manager" is just something funny to say. Like I said he made ONE STUPID PHONE CALL TO A FRIEND! Sheesh

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crush of Bronco apologists are too numerous to respond to.

Key points.... This has nothing to do with Manning and everything with the way his image is potrayed by the press and the front office. Manning did a simple thing by calling Lilja... and now the press has decided that Elway is Glad to have another Assistant to the General Manager.... plain stupid.

The comments on nbc pro football talk are much more interesting tha the the ones that have flowed here.

One poster asked, If Lilja doesn't work out, who takes repsonsibility Elway or Manning?

Too many guys here wearing the blue and orange glasses.... and of course the Manning troll lurks in the background.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't go down the juvenile path. Pats fear no team. Broncos fear no team. This is the big boys league.

With Peyton, I have seen this movie too many times.... being given credit for all kinds of things that can't be verified. e.g. coach on field.

When the story is on the front page of a major NFL news source, you notice. When you know the theme exists, the bs jumps out at you.

And Elway is glad that Manning can serve as not only the Broncos’ quarterback, but as an assistant to the general manager.

Do you think Peyton Manning is the assistant to the General Manager?

If I understand correctly, you are upset that PM is getting too much credit for having helped the Broncos get Llija. Seems kind of funny to me that a Pats fan is outraged by a QB getting a lot of media attention.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Fitzgerald also Assistant GM for trying to recruit PFM to AZ?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crush of Bronco apologists are too numerous to respond to.

Key points.... This has nothing to do with Manning and everything with the way his image is potrayed by the press and the front office. Manning did a simple thing by calling Lilja... and now the press has decided that Elway is Glad to have another Assistant to the General Manager.... plain stupid.

The comments pro football talk are much more interesting the the ones that have flowed here.

One poster asked, If Lilja doesn't work out, who takes repsonsibility Elway or Manning?

Too many guys here wearing the blue and orange glasses.

Oh sheesh again you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. The media is having a slow news day so they latched onto something that is a non-story. You are just as guilty as the media for starting a thread on this very topic. So the very people that you hate for giving Manning the image that he does you are doing the exact same thing. Talk about hypocrisy at its finest.

It is not a matter of blue and orange colored glasses on this...not even for sure how you can come to that conclusion. Bronco fans are the ones telling you this is a non-story and it doesn't add to the legend of Peyton. You are the one that is saying that it does.