• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the myth of OG drafted in top 5

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone is arguing just to argue. We have a new o line coach and new defensive coordinator. They get the most out of their o lineman/linebackers. Scot will pick his bpa, cus that's what Scot does. The pick will be put in a good situation with good coaches.

Agreed. And Bill Callahan is a great addition as an o-line coach.

BTW, shark, you still picking Whoopi over Destiny's Child? (I'm actually surprised that he or anyone would know who Destiny's Child was. :) Thought most here were middle-aged white guys.)

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. . . since 2001 . . . and we know the circumstances of drafting a guard then are the same now, right?

they have not changed since the draft started . about every decade you get one drafted maybe more . only 8 legit ones in almost 80 years

but OG play has changed little since 2001 and i submit you just havent seen one come up as HISTORY has born out

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BTW, shark, you still picking Whoopi over Destiny's Child? (I'm actually surprised that he or anyone would know who Destiny's Child was. :) Thought most here were middle-aged white guys.)

Actually Im taking MY WIFE over either of them... care to question me on it?? :lol:

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have not changed since the draft started . about every decade you get one drafted maybe more . only 8 legit ones in almost 80 years

but OG play has changed little since 2001 and i submit you just havent seen one come up as HISTORY has born out

In recent years, guards (and especially centers) are only taken from middle / latter of the first round on. This is especially true with centers who are now viewed as third round or so material. That wasn't always true back then but is generally true now. There could be an anomaly or two that would justify taking one higher, but the current conventional trend is the rule I just stated.

Same with RBs. At or around 2001, taking a RB in the top five or ten was deemed acceptable if you had one that warranted such a high pick. Now, it's nearly unthinkable. Yes, Cleveland took Trent Richardson third overall in 2012. But that's Cleveland. That was an outlier and doesn't follow the general trend regarding RBs.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, we've got a need for a speed rusher, so let's the more practical model rather than the speed demon we need. Got it.

IF the season started today... Who would our starting OLBs be??

And by the same note who would our starting line be??

And you really want to stick to the idea that we NEED a pass rusher more than O-line??

No as I have said all along, you WANT a flashy pick with the #5, and would feel disappointed if in fact we took the Lineman. It has long been thrown around that we should be able to get a starting RT/OG in the later rounds. Heck the way some of you talk, you would think they could grab the fat guy from the 240 section and just suit him up ten minutes before.... but now another pass rusher is exactly what this team MUST have.... well or a trade down..

Got it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In recent years, guards (and especially centers) are only taken from middle / latter of the first round on. This is especially true with centers who are now viewed as third round or so material. That wasn't always true back then but is generally true now. There could be an anomaly or two that would justify taking one higher, but the current conventional trend is the rule I just stated.

Same with RBs. At or around 2001, taking a RB in the top five or ten was deemed acceptable if you had one that warranted such a high pick. Now, it's nearly unthinkable. Yes, Cleveland took Trent Richardson third overall in 2012. But that's Cleveland. That was an outlier and doesn't follow the general trend regarding RBs.

if AP were coming out next season he would be a top pick and so would a john hannah

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if AP were coming out next season he would be a top pick and so would a john hannah

That's based on knowing they'd be the players they were. If you know, for instance, that Melvin Gordon is going to be the next AP, you can justify taking him in the top five. The reason you don't is due to the risk and value issues we've discussed.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's based on knowing they'd be the players they were. If you know, for instance, that Melvin Gordon is going to be the next AP, you can justify taking him in the top five. The reason you don't is due to the risk and value issues we've discussed.

no the reason you dont is he isnt that type of talent AP was

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no the reason you dont is he isnt that type of talent AP was

No RB would be worth taking in the top ten right now unless you're absolutely sure he'll be an AP (i.e., you've go some crystal ball and can see he'll be that type of back). Those dummies in Cleveland made sure that lesson was driven into the minds of 31 other teams when they did that. Why? RB is now devalued (though not as devalued as some may think) and, for that reason, taking a risk on that high a pick is simply not worth it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again an RB was chosen high and they will continue to do so whether it is a mistake or not

if gurley hadnt torn his ACL he could be in the discussion

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am bumping this for you skinsz winz , and mitz . its from 3 years ago . i debated just as hard and used the same tactics then as io do now

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good bump and an interesting read. There's a lot of talk that Nelson is a lock for top 10 and there's a fair chance he lands in the top 5.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good bump and an interesting read. There's a lot of talk that Nelson is a lock for top 10 and there's a fair chance he lands in the top 5.
i think he can and my position is if he is the BPA at a position of need then grab him . he certainly has value at the spot or spots

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He really hasn't been though. And for all the accolades given to him. Tomsula's unit didn't display anything that said great coaching em up by Tomsula.

Tomsula gets a pass of sorts, but Callahan has been here long enough that you'd think the OL would've improved in some area(s), but name one area of improvement for them during Callahan's tenure. I can't think of one.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really hasn't been though. And for all the accolades given to him. Tomsula's unit didn't display anything that said great coaching em up by Tomsula.

Tomsula gets a pass of sorts, but Callahan has been here long enough that you'd think the OL would've improved in some area(s), but name one area of improvement for them during Callahan's tenure. I can't think of one.

Fully agree except Tomsula had a key injury and no depth.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they are and that still doesn't explain taking Whoopi over Destiny's Child for anything other than a joke telling contest.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fully agree except Tomsula had a key injury and no depth.

Yeah, hence the pass, and a reason why I think exploring a NG/DT solution via FA with an already proven NG/DT should be an option kept open. DeQuan Jones of Tenn fits the bill I believe.

Not that I'm against drafting an interior DL guy at 13 or a safety (if he's actually capable of being a legit cover safety) or an OG. If the pk is an OG though this has got to be Callahan's shit or get off the pot year.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No RB would be worth taking in the top ten right now unless you're absolutely sure he'll be an AP

That's a pretty high pk for a 2 dn player. A RB drafted that high should be able to stay on the field during 3rd dn as a viable pass catching option or pass protecting option as a blocker.