• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The mood of the Hokie fans

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lurk on some other boards (not a member) just to read the news, recruiting information, film study comments, etc. and honestly I am somewhat surprised at how ugly some VT followers are starting to get towards this program and the coaching staff, even some of the players at times. I have no problem with people being critical, but some people are kind of crossing the line IMO. I think we've been a little spoiled with the 10 win seasons and many fans expectations (not sure why??) seems to be that we should win the conference EVERY year and be competing for national titles. I get it. The program has taken a step back, Beamer is near the end of the line, we haven't been killing it on the recruiting trail, I get it.

We all love VT football, but damn...seriously! I hope most of us have something better to do than bitch and gripe about the "State of VT football" 24 hours a day. You would think that some people have real money/stock in a business (VT Football) and that the CEO and Senior VP (CFB/CBF) are running the company (and stock price) into the ground. This is a good program with good leadership (Whit) and I think we'll be back to what we are used to soon enough.

Just to be clear, I am not taking a shot at anyone on this board. All of us have been critical, some more than others, and that's OK. Its always done in a respectful manner by everyone. Criticism is fair when warranted.

I will say one thing...I don't know about TSL (don't read) and some of the other pay sights. But 247 (VTScoop) will never get my money. I appreciate what EGW, CZY, Matij and others do for that sight. They are top notch. But it has been taken over by pompous ass know-it-alls who are negative ALL of the time. Guys speaking in the third person. People that THINK their opinion really matters and will really make a difference on when CFB leaves and who the next man up will be. Its both sad, maddening, and hilarious all in the same when reading some of their posts.

As dead as Hokiehoopla has gotten, I am glad that we still take things pretty lightly over here (compared to most).

:suds:Heres to finishing the season strong and getting back to the ACCCG. I still think it could happen THIS year.

/rantover

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Sparks,

I know our board has kind of slowed down some compared to years past and we all know why for sure. I would say pretty much every Hokie on this board is "stand up" and kind of follows the motto with Beamer (and where we are right now) -- if you have nothing good to say, might as well not say it at all. I know I have caved on this at times and don't get me wrong I LOVE Beamer. Heck, if the dude could coach another 16 years which would allow my kids to attend Tech and have some of the same experiences as I did while Beamer is at the helm, that would be BAD ASS and a spiritual deal for me!!!

However...
We are in a state now where we are ranked 44th nationally with our recruiting class and 8th in the ACC and it shows with our depth. At one time, our athletes were able to overshadow bad hiring decisions/promotions at certain coaching positions. Now with good coordinators in place, our lack of talent shows at times in certain areas and it is pretty obvious. Injuries also at certain positions have direct correlations to us performing on the field to where we can't afford some of the hits that we have taken and it also shows. Coaching tendencies we were blessed with (fundamentally sound football, etc.) when we were a team on the rise, have been a liability for most of the 2010s for whatever reason - lack of focus, switching up ST and putting green kids in at certain positions.

With all of this said, what do we do now???...
As far me, sit back and enjoy that we do have a legendary coach who is most likely on his way out. Times change and you never get these experiences back with watching our legendary coach be on the field with his kids. And once it is gone - it is gone forever. We have an AMAZING Athletic Director who "gets it" and I have every bit of confidence he will make sure when the time is right to have "that talk" with Beamer when the occasion arises (assuming Beamer doesn't take himself out of the equation before that). Enjoy VT football and sharing it with your friends for as Sparks says we WILL get back to winning consistently and I know WB will have a homerun hire when the time comes. But there is still more to winning, there are traditions to be shared with football and enjoying God's season and His sport -- Fall and College Football.

'Zete

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've certainly been disappointed in these last few years, but I'm also one that knows that while winning is great for the fans, the players are learning a lot more than that with Beamer. He's one of those that put developing the man over the player 100 times out of 100 and am glad for it. Beamer and Snyder have been two that I've always wanted to win the big one because they've done everything else and more.

I will say it's a little easier watching the team now with lower expectations, but I do miss being on the edge of my seat without fingernails because the expectations were so high. I enjoy my bourbon now, haha.

It might also be that I've got kids now and have to make sure I'm more mellow when watching so I can set a good example.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to school during the Tyrod years so I was def spoiled on football. I was somewhat upset the first year under Logan that we didn't do well. Then I got into the adult life and quickly saw that there are way worse things to worry about. It is pretty crazy to me to see some of the reactions of the fans lately. Would I like to see more wins? Of course! But you can't let football season ruin your fall.

As you mentioned Cobrabit, I'm proud to say that Beamer is our coach and know that he is helping develop the kids in our program into men while they are in Blacksburg. I also concur with your thoughts on Bill Snyder. I always have rooted for him and the way he has done things at Kansas State.

It's a time where we all know change is coming soon, and you can see the fans are tense. Here's to hoping the rest of the season goes well and hopefully recruiting picks up as the season goes along.

:suds:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ready for Beamer to move on barring some drastic turn around. This year is his last chance for me which I think is perfectly fair given his age and what's happened the last handful of years. So far, it's starting to look and smell like a lot like previous years, indicating yet again we haven't made any real changes. I'm not one of these types that thinks you should get to hang around because of career accomplishments so if it doesn't turn around, change is needed. Otherwise you're just going to years of 7 wins. That's not worth it. Especially in a time where the ACC is really shitty.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My freshman year was the NCG year, but also had been a fan since i was a kid in the 80s. My oldest brother went to VT in the early '90s and his wife knew Deshazo very well, so it was very exciting to see that turnaround. Then the HUGE win against Texas really started to sway the momentum away from Welsch at UVA with recruiting leading to the Vick years. Then the few seasons of great starts and big slides before the switch to the ACC when I was in grad school.

I was willing to give Beamer the benefit of the doubt because I had seen us go through some rough seasons and find a way to have us compete on the national stage soon after. However, I don't believe in lifetime jobs and do agree that this may be and probably should be Beamer's last unless there is an ACC CG appearance where we actually win/dominate a poor Coastal and not just back in. I hope that's the case and he comes back next year with a legit shot at the playoffs.

Regardless, I'm very proud to be a Hokie and root for the team and Beamer, but transition has to come eventually and this may very well be the time.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an outsider, I look at it this way. How many 68 year olds are able to do a job that the average age is around 51?

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to get any better after today's performance.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These stats are gonna piss us off some more.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamer was finally talking changes after the game FWIW. I think he meant moreso personnel, but he did mention how they coach as well.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTEis=coaches"wildturkey, post: 7302476, member: 2043"]Beamer was finally talking changes after the game FWIW. I think he meant moreso personnel, but he did mention how they coach as well.[/QUOTE]
If it includes coaching staff he can start with his son at RB coach. What a waste of talent. Also is McLaughlin hurt? He is getting burned alot this year.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTEis=coaches"wildturkey, post: 7302476, member: 2043"]Beamer was finally talking changes after the game FWIW. I think he meant moreso personnel, but he did mention how they coach as well.
If it includes coaching staff he can start with his son at RB coach. What a waste of talent. Also is McLaughlin hurt? He is getting burned alot this year.[/QUOTE]

Shane is useless as a coach. Utterly useless. No clue on Glock but he's been pretty darn bad this year and this was his worst game by far

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTEis=coaches"wildturkey, post: 7302476, member: 2043"]Beamer was finally talking changes after the game FWIW. I think he meant moreso personnel, but he did mention how they coach as well.
If it includes coaching staff he can start with his son at RB coach. What a waste of talent. Also is McLaughlin hurt? He is getting burned alot this year.[/QUOTE]
There were signs of issues at OT with speed rushes in the spring game. Here's a good article about it: Virginia Tech's Offensive Line Must Continue to Improve at Pass Blocking

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. This very well could be Beamer's last...especially if it keeps going this direction and he loses the team. The next couple of games should be VERY telling in how the rest of this season is gonna go.

Just so you guys know... I'm not saying we should keep Beamer around because of his accomplishments. Just that he deserves a little bit better than what some people (on other boards) are saying. Firing him in the middle of the season? C'mon. Seriously?? He is old, old, old and outta his mind. Nah. I don't think so. As Jeffro said, he probably isn't doing it at the level that he once was. But then again, he has some very capable assistants. Isn't it just as much on them?? I just think he deserves a little better than that. I think both he and Whit will make it happen when the time is right. And that might be at the end of this season. I think Beamer knows his time is very short.

And FWIW, I have been on the "Bud for HC" bandwagon for several years now. I am starting to seriously re think that. Not that I don't think he could do it. Just wonder if it would be enough to get us out of this 3-5 year funk the program has been in. Starting to think a fresh face might be the better route.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. This very well could be Beamer's last...especially if it keeps going this direction and he loses the team. The next couple of games should be VERY telling in how the rest of this season is gonna go.

Just so you guys know... I'm not saying we should keep Beamer around because of his accomplishments. Just that he deserves a little bit better than what some people (on other boards) are saying. Firing him in the middle of the season? C'mon. Seriously?? He is old, old, old and outta his mind. Nah. I don't think so. As Jeffro said, he probably isn't doing it at the level that he once was. But then again, he has some very capable assistants. Isn't it just as much on them?? I just think he deserves a little better than that. I think both he and Whit will make it happen when the time is right. And that might be at the end of this season. I think Beamer knows his time is very short.

And FWIW, I have been on the "Bud for HC" bandwagon for several years now. I am starting to seriously re think that. Not that I don't think he could do it. Just wonder if it would be enough to get us out of this 3-5 year funk the program has been in. Starting to think a fresh face might be the better route.

I like Bud and wouldn't mind him as HC but he'd have to articulate how he'd be different from Beamer if I were Whit. Like if he just plans to keep the train rolling, there's no point in replacing Beamer, you know?

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Bud and wouldn't mind him as HC but he'd have to articulate how he'd be different from Beamer if I were Whit. Like if he just plans to keep the train rolling, there's no point in replacing Beamer, you know?

Agree with your points. While I am one for a fresh face at HC with the hope that we can sell BF on staying at DC with some crazy incentives, if I were WB I would be most interested in knowing how BF would attack recruiting. Everyone knows how fertile VA is from a recruiting standpoint and we have been swinging and missing for the last 5 years -- not only to Bama and FSU but to teams with losing records like UVA.

Also I would like to know how he plans to instill focus and grit into the team. We used to be a team that played with a mean streak and had focus. I haven't seen that type of play on a consistent basis in a long time. Lane stadium used to be a 'Terror Dome' for the visiting team, now it is a place where others come to win (with the exception of UVA). I sincerely hope that changes at least for our next game. It is pretty embarrassing.