• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Lay of the League's Land in 2017: Complete Standings and Playoff Predictions

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did my first league-wide prediction last year and even though I whiffed on it big time I don't think I fared any worse than anyone who gets paid to make those types of predictions. Of course, some analysts picked the Patriots to win the Super Bowl and they were right. Then again, a lot of them pick the Patriots every year so do with that what you will.

I'm making another prediction for 2017 because it's May and we have a long way to go before the season starts and this will give us something to talk about for a couple weeks. If the Rockies are still looking good in mid-June maybe they'll be a good enough distraction for the summer and until that blessed time of year arrives when the NFL kicks off once again.

So without further adieu, my predictions for the 2017 season:

In the AFC:

West:

Broncos: 11-5
Chiefs: 10-6
Raiders: 9-7
Chargers: 4-12

Rationale: The Broncos of 2017: Game by Game Predictions

South:

Titans: 13-3
Texans: 7-9
Colts: 6-10
Jaguars: 4-12

Rationale: After three straight 9-7 seasons, two of which resulted in division titles and a playoff win, all without an actual QB, the Texans invested a first round pick on a QB. Will he be enough? Doubtful. I have a feeling the Titans are in store for a breakout season. How breakout? They will sweep this division en route to a first round playoff bye. The Jaguars never have been able to capitalize on a talented roster and until they do I won't give them the benefit of the doubt. Meanwhile the Colts inability to build a complete team around Luck catches up with them as they stumble to a sub .500 season.

North:

Steelers: 12-4
Ravens: 10-6
Bengals 6-10
Browns: 3-13

Rationale: Usually this is a tough division for me to figure out because any given year recently a 3-way slug fest between the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals seems inevitable. I feel differently this year. I just don't see any reason to pick against the Steelers here. I think the Bengals slip further while the Ravens restore some credibility after a few down seasons. As for the Browns...well they may be building up to something but it's going to take a while to see that pay off.

East:

Patriots: 14-2
Dolphins: 9-7
Bills: 6-10
Jets: 3-13

Rationale: As usual the AFC East will offer little more than a speed bump for the Patriots. I can see the Dolphins swiping a home win, but it wouldn't surprise me or anyone watching if the Patriots sweep their division again. The Dolphins are getting close, but they have some room for improvement on defense while the Bills doing another reset will undermine their ability to actually build and progress. As for the Jets I see them in the running for the first pick in next year's draft.

Next up: the NFC!

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the NFC:

West:

Seahawks: 10-6
Cardinals: 9-7
Rams: 5-11
49ers: 5-11

Rationale: I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of the Seahawks being such a force in the NFC, though I doubt they'll disappear completely. The Cardinals had a steep dropoff from their 13-3 season in 2015 to last year, but I think there's still enough there to get them to a respectable finish again. The Rams continue to lack offense and the 49ers under Lynch's first year as GM seem to be poised to head back in the right direction but this year will be a year of growing pains and adjustments.

South:

Buccaneers: 12-4
Panthers: 8-8
Falcons: 8-8
Saints: 7-9

Rationale: The Bucs are to the NFC what the Titans are to the AFC: A team poised for a breakout season. At the same time, the NFC South is to me this year what the AFC North is every other year: A division I honestly can't figure out. The Panthers last year were reeling from their SB loss and I expect the same from the Falcons this year. As for the Saints I see them as good enough to not be dismal but not better than the other teams in the division, especially considering my expectation the Bucs step it up this year.

North:

Packers: 12-4
Vikings: 7-9
Lions: 7-9
Bears: 3-13

Rationale: The Packers are king here, no question about it. I'm not a believer in the Lions or the Vikings and expect the Packers to contribute to both teams' mediocre seasons. The Lions invested some draft capital in defense and that was probably wise, though I question the degree to which it has immediate impacts. I may be under valuing the Vikings because they have a good defense and an offense that is functional. The Bears meanwhile have set the bar high for head scratching off season moves.

East:

Cowboys: 11-5
Giants: 10-6
Eagles: 8-8
Redskins: 7-9

Rationale: This division is going to be tough! All 4 teams are good enough to win it, but I am going to go with the Cowboys again because they have the best COMBINATION of QB and offensive talent (to include running game) and defense. The Giants defense is hands down the best in the division and the offense should improve over last year's unit with the additional of a dynamic WR like Brandon Marshall. The Eagles are still up and coming and it's just too bad for them they are in such a tough division. The Redskins are a solid team but they did see some offensive talent leave the building and I don't think they replaced it adequately nor did they make up for it with defense.

Next up: Playoff seeds and predictions!

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The playoff seeds:

AFC:

1. Patriots: 14-2
2. Titans: 13-3
3. Steelers: 12-4
4. Broncos: 11-5
5. Chiefs: 10-6
6. Ravens: 10-6

NFC:

1. Packers: 12-4
2. Buccaneers: 12-4
3. Cowboys: 11-5
4. Seahawks: 10-6
5. Giants: 10-6
6. Cardinals: 9-7

NOTE: The Packers are #1 over the Bucs on my anticipation the Packers will win the h-to-h contest in week 13.

Wildcard Weekend:

Steelers over Ravens: I love AFC North playoff games. The Steelers are the better team and at I'm inclined to give them the nod.

Broncos over Chiefs: Here's the coup I mentioned in my predictions for the Broncos: if I've called it right, the 10-5 Chiefs have to travel to the 10-5 Broncos with division hopes on the line. Win and you're playing at home a week later. Lose, and playing in Denver again is a real possibility depending on how other games go that week. So the Chiefs can't exactly plan to stay in Denver for two weeks, because that would essentially be planning to fail. Yet if it works out, they're either going to have to make two consecutive trips or make a brutal adjustment to their routine to remain in Denver. I'm picking the Chiefs to keep in close in that season finale, but I'd guess the Broncos win this one decisively.

Cowboys over Cardinals: Just a better all around team at home doing what it should do.

Seahawks over Giants: These are two of the best defenses to do it, and two very mediocre offenses. We may set a record for lowest scoring playoff game ever. Seriously: this one has the potential to make that Seahawks @ Vikings game a couple years ago (10-9 final) look like a shootout!

Divisional Round:

Titans over Steelers: This may be counter intuitive because the Steelers at 12-4 in a tough division would probably be considered better than the Titans at 13-3 in a soft division, but given the way those AFC North playoff games often devolve into ruthless slobber knockers, a rested Titans team is just too much for a battered and bruised Steelers team.

Broncos over Patriots: The Patriots cruise to a 14-2 finish against what right now appears to be the easiest schedule in the league while the Broncos battle to 11-5 against what right now appears to be the hardest schedule in the league. While the Patriots don't go one and done or lose at home often, it has been done and by lesser teams than the Broncos. And if anyone can go into Gillette Stadium and pull an upset like this, it's the Broncos: the team that has more success against the Patriots than any other.

Cowboys over Buccaneers: the Bucs are now where the Cowboys were last year. That experience, painful as it was for the Cowboys, pays dividends now as they go on the road and beat a good Bucs team.

Packers over Seahawks: The past few seasons have given us some pretty good Seahawks-Packers games and this one should be good. I expect this one to be a battle with that Seahawks defense throwing everything it's got against Rogers and the Packers but it just won't be enough.

Conference Title Games:

Cowboys over Packers: Similar to the Steelers after playing the Ravens, a bout with the Seahawks in the jarring cold is going to leave the Packers licking their wounds while the Cowboys, despite playing one game more, will have had a less physical rout to this game. Plus this team with its mix of youth and veteran talent will have some serious momentum.

Broncos over Titans: Similar to the Patriots, the Titans 13-3 finish will be padded in part by playing a soft schedule. On defense I expect the Titans to actually be mediocre: good enough to not be a problem in the regular season, but problematic in the playoffs. Combine that with a Broncos team that will be coming off wins against a division rival and conference nemesis and their momentum will too much for the Titans to overcome.

Super Bowl:

Broncos 20, Cowboys 16. First of all, this will be a blockbuster of a Super Bowl. These teams would bring in a combined 16 Super Bowl appearances and each would be joining the Patriots with their 9th appearance. Combine that with the Broncos and Cowboys being essentially the two most popular teams in the game right now and this one would be a ratings blowout like never before.

I gave the Cowboys the benefit of the doubt in the regular season matchup, but this will be a different Broncos team at this point. Keep in mind in the regular season matchup, Elliot will be fresh, but in this one he'll have a season's worth of wear and tear on him and the Broncos run defense will be able to contain him better with a season to gel. As for Prescott against the NFZ? Take the NFZ against a young QB every time. On offense the Broncos won't run away with it, but they'll do enough to keep themselves in the game and give themselves a chance at the end.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General thoughts on the standings and playoffs:

- The Raiders will go into week 17 at 9-6 and needing a win against the 3-12 Chargers to make the playoffs. By the time that game kicks off, the Ravens will have finished 10-6 so the Raiders on head to head tie breaker will be in a win and in situation, only to get upset by the last place Chargers.

- It may seem anti-climatic to not pit the Broncos against the Patriots in the AFCCG but my methodology was to derive standings first, playoff seeds second, and plausible scenarios last. I actually went through several revisions before settling on this one and kept coming back to this. I also tried to avoid a prediction that put the Chiefs in Denver two weeks in a row but after several passes at their schedule and of course, the big picture look, I kept coming back to this.

- While I do believe the Cowboys are an overhyped team, even more so when they are good, I think their combination of their O-line, ground game, QB, and pretty decent defense make them a logical contender this year. With that said, if Jerry refuses to get out of the way or Dak has the sophomore slump, this team could be a big let down. Obviously my scenario gives them the benefit of the doubt.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in May, don't think anyone can argue those scenarios too much. I do ,at this point, think all teams in AFC West will be above .500, NY Giants wil win their division, I see Titans at 10 wins max but strong chance to win div, Ravens beat out Pitt but both make playoffs and Brown's win 4 -6 games, Pats cruise again in crappy div but Jets go winless, Falcons overcome SB embarrassment to tie TB at 10 wins max , Pack and Lions go down to wk 17 for Div title, Cards rebound with rested Palmer arm and MVP RB and TS earns first Pro Bowl honor. :)

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I have to stick the pin in your balloon.

The Broncos ain't going to Foxboro and beat the Patriots. There is a very real chance the Patriots will go 19-0 with an even more high octane offense than 2016 and an improved defense in 2017.

The Broncos have to get their QB issues straightened out and Charles is not the Charles of 2005. The Broncos defense is without question one of the most solid in the NFL and they will save the Broncos more often than not.

The Broncos will be in a battle to just win the AFC West. Oakland and KC have made improvements as well and they won't be rolling over for anyone.

Very few wildcards get to the Super Bowl.

This isn't a troll or an insult.......it's a reality check for a team in what may be the toughest division in the NFL.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Broncos ain't going to Foxboro and beat the Patriots. There is a very real chance the Patriots will go 19-0 with an even more high octane offense than 2016 and an improved defense in 2017.

The Broncos have to get their QB issues straightened out and Charles is not the Charles of 2005. The Broncos defense is without question one of the most solid in the NFL and they will save the Broncos more often than not.

The Broncos will be in a battle to just win the AFC West. Oakland and KC have made improvements as well and they won't be rolling over for anyone.

This isn't a troll or an insult.......it's a reality check for a team in what may be the toughest division in the NFL.
Yep. Agree on AFC West . Denver will fortunate to win 10 and I see SD pushing the field if injury bug doesn't derail them again. If Derek comes back 100, Raiders will win div. I can see KC and ASmith having struggles thus Denver might sneak into wildcard spot. They have won SB in that scenario before.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While Patriots are tough in Foxboro not like they are unbeatable. Teams have beat them before and will beat them again. Yes they have a great team but if there is a team that lines up well with especially that Patriot offense it is the Broncos defense.

As for the AFC West I guess I would like to know why you say the Raiders and Chiefs have improved. The only notable signing in FA outside of their own guys is that of Bennie Logan. Good player but they also lost 2 starters on the DL in Poe and Howard. So at best that is a wash. Draft wise their first 2 picks are at best project type players. 3rd round pick Kareem Hunt seems like the one guy that might contribute decently this year.

For the Raiders they lost starters Murray, Allen, McGee, Smith, and Watson.

Lynch and Cook are about the only notable additions through Free Agency. Both good players but Lynch we don't know what he has left and Cook has been about as hot and cold of a player as there is at the TE position.

They did have a decent draft depending on the outcome of Conley's off the field issues but we never know exactly what rookies will give a team.

So again please explain to me how those teams have gotten better?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing to keep in mind is most teams that win a lot of close games one year come back to the norm the next year. Oakland for example if I'm counting right went 9-1 in games decided by 7 points or less. This was something people pointed to for the Broncos in the 2015 season is that winning those close games just wasn't sustainable from one season to the next. They of course came back to the pack the next season.

Chiefs went 6-3 which I do think is a bit more sustainable from year to year in close games.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to remember also, when a team has suffered years of mediocrity or worse, the rebuilding process consist of developing the young players,adding vets that provide leadership and the right coaches. Most the time the process is painstakingly slow and having close games but pulling out wins is part of the rebuilding. To minimise close wins in that achievement is ignorant to what it takes to build a playoff caliber team and maintain it.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off, thanks for dropping in and reading my post. I make predictions like this for fun and to generate discussion and anyone who can talk football is welcome to join in, Broncos fan or not.

Now I'm not going to go point for point and rebut everything you've said. We can do that until we're both blue in the face and neither of us will convince the other. I will go instead to that very last line and offer that as the very reason I'd be willing to take the Broncos over the Patriots even @ Gillette this year. The Pats schedule is currently ranked as easiest in the league while the Broncos is ranked as hardest. Now you can toss that metric out as soon as the new season starts but safe to say the Broncos will be in a dogfight week in week out, especially given how the West will be contended by the Raiders and Chiefs again and I've even seen a few outliers say don't count out the Chargers either. Meanwhile the Pats will get not even a sniff of competition out of any of their rivals, same as it's been for years since the Pats entered the NFL radar in 2001.

For 2017 my explanation is simple: the 14-2 Patriots even at home will not be as good as a battle tested and hardened 11-5 Broncos team coming off a playoff win. Should my prediction turn out to be true it won't be the first time a lower seed knocked off the #1 seed in the divisional round. Hell, it has happened to the Pats even by a team QB'd by MARK SANCHEZ!

Keep in mind in the AFCCG for 2015 the Pats appeared to be the better team because their 12-4 record was full of "pretty" wins and the Broncos 12-4 record was full of ugly dogfights. We all remember the predictions of a 42-10 Pats rout over the Broncos. And of course, the Broncos made everyone look silly as they took Brady's lunch money early and often.

The Patriots are by far the most successful team in this era of football, but there is one team they've never been able to fully figure out and that team is the Broncos. I promise you this: Foxboro or Denver if the Patriots and Broncos meet in the playoffs, knowledgeable Patriots fans will be EXTREMELY nervous.

Thanks again for stopping in.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion. I understand you guys love your team and Want them to win another Super Bowl. I just believe that the Broncos will have to dig really deep to win the AFC West and/or get a wildcard. Not saying it's impossible, just extremely difficult.

As far as my Patriots go.....They won SB LI. It wasn't easy but they outscored the top NFC offense 31-0 in the final 20 minutes of that game. They Lost Logan Ryan and replaced him with Stephon Gilmore and lost LaGarrett Blount and replaced him with Mike Gillislee. Add to the receiving corps of that same winning SB Team, Rob Gronkowski and Brandin Cooks. The Patriots have actually improved both offensively and defensively.

The Broncos get to face the Patriots at home again this year. I believe the Patriots will win.
The Broncos will have a chance to prove one of us correct.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos get to face the Patriots at home again this year. I believe the Patriots will win.

If you notice I actually picked the Patriots to beat the Broncos in Denver this season. I just think it's going to be very hard for the Patriots to beat this Broncos team twice, even if the second matchup is at home for them.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you notice I actually picked the Patriots to beat the Broncos in Denver this season. I just think it's going to be very hard for the Patriots to beat this Broncos team twice, even if the second matchup is at home for them.
Actually I think Denver beat Pats at home but would need some real big plays to go in NE to win playoff game. Think the record between the two indicates both teams struggle in the others arena. Much as I hate to say this, I think addition of Gillislie and Gilmore is going to pay big dividends for NE.Especially Rb Gill. He's going to kick ass .

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion. I understand you guys love your team and Want them to win another Super Bowl. I just believe that the Broncos will have to dig really deep to win the AFC West and/or get a wildcard. Not saying it's impossible, just extremely difficult.

As far as my Patriots go.....They won SB LI. It wasn't easy but they outscored the top NFC offense 31-0 in the final 20 minutes of that game. They Lost Logan Ryan and replaced him with Stephon Gilmore and lost LaGarrett Blount and replaced him with Mike Gillislee. Add to the receiving corps of that same winning SB Team, Rob Gronkowski and Brandin Cooks. The Patriots have actually improved both offensively and defensively.

So at this time are you saying it is a forgone conclusion that the Pats will be in the Super Bowl representing the AFC?

The Pats will be tough and should be the top team in the league. We have seen lots though that the top team in the league does not win the Super Bowl. Injuries to me could be huge for the Pats this year. Gronk hasn't proven that he can stay healthy. Tom Brady is loving tempting fate by making fun of the Madden Curse. Defensively they have a good unit but I would argue they are not very deep so a few injuries and things could fall apart very quickly on that side of the ball putting more pressure on the offense to have to rise up. Heck the Pats I think have only won 1 Super Bowl when they didn't have a top-10 defense. It is a long season and while the Pats have been the most consistent team in the league we have also seen that it is very difficult to repeat. Players stop putting the full effort in. They also have the abuse of an extra month on their bodies compared to most other teams.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I think Denver beat Pats at home but would need some real big plays to go in NE to win playoff game. Think the record between the two indicates both teams struggle in the others arena. Much as I hate to say this, I think addition of Gillislie and Gilmore is going to pay big dividends for NE.Especially Rb Gill. He's going to kick ass .

Given the timing of that regular season game I would be really impressed if the Broncos beat the Pats.

The Pats are definitely going all in to win another one while they still have Brady and honestly I commend them for that. That's what teams are supposed to do! Their FA signings had sports media jizzing in their pants every time the Pats were brought up. I've already seen the comparisons to the 16-0 team of 2007. Personally I think that would be pretty awesome if they pulled it off again. But I legitimately think if the Broncos are as good on defense as they have been the last two years and can make those marginal improvements on offense it is going to be hard for ANY team to beat them twice.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So at this time are you saying it is a forgone conclusion that the Pats will be in the Super Bowl representing the AFC?

The Pats will be tough and should be the top team in the league. We have seen lots though that the top team in the league does not win the Super Bowl. Injuries to me could be huge for the Pats this year. Gronk hasn't proven that he can stay healthy. Tom Brady is loving tempting fate by making fun of the Madden Curse. Defensively they have a good unit but I would argue they are not very deep so a few injuries and things could fall apart very quickly on that side of the ball putting more pressure on the offense to have to rise up. Heck the Pats I think have only won 1 Super Bowl when they didn't have a top-10 defense. It is a long season and while the Pats have been the most consistent team in the league we have also seen that it is very difficult to repeat. Players stop putting the full effort in. They also have the abuse of an extra month on their bodies compared to most other teams.

He wouldn't be the first to think that. In the minds of the sports media it's already a done deal and the entire 2017 season will be nothing but a formality. Just like the 2015 AFCCG in Denver was a mere formality, a nuisance in between the Patriots and their next Super Bowl!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all - Bravo Ikno - putting yourself out there - giving us something to think about and discuss.

I loved your playoffs scenario with the Chiefs - facing two straight weeks in Denver - LOL - that would be so delicious.

It is so tough to predict the NFL - but there are some trends you can count on. The Raiders are still too thin and young - injuries can crater their season once again - fairly easily. Andy Reid - does not appear to be the coach who can get a team over the hump, but he is some what of a genius in building playoff teams. The Chargers are a wild card, but they have the same problem the Raiders do - only worse - they have less depth and less overall talent - and a new coach - which can cut either way.

Last year this forum was uniformly and almost unanimous that the Oline needed to be fixed and if so - the Bronco running game would have to take pressure off of the young QBs - for the Broncos to succeed (See Dak Prescott and the Cowboys). As many here feared - the Oline failed and so did the running game. Therefore we had QBs playing in a spot where they were literally wearing "Sack Me" signs -based on the necessary play calling and game situations.

This year the Defense is still intack - and arguably reinforced in the middle of the Dline -with one of the top Dback groups of all time in NFL Football.

So it boils down to the offense - once again. What do we know?

1) Leary - Watson and Bolles have been added - Paradis -while rehabbing - has been a gem.
2) The QBs - whatever you thought of each of them last year - are one year better - having had the off season to work on correcting stuff and getting healthy.
3) The coaching with McCoy - is an offense designed to be able to accentuate the strengths of any QB taking the snaps. McCoy - has a well deserved reputation for pulling this off - especially in Denver.
4) The Oline coach is Davidson - who is one of the top Line coaches in the league. Coaching would likely be better - and fit the offense McCoy is designing.
5) CJ, Charles and Booker - all have great skill in catching outlet passes and screens - a McCoy favorite over the years - and one weirdly not used much last year. It is also a means by which QBs can reduce the rush - or to counter the anticipated rush.
6) John Elway has mandated improvement in this area and he always gets what he wants. He has Certainly - engineered the resources and coaching to succeed.

For these reasons I agree with Ikno in the macular - the Broncos will likely be a playoff team - and with a little luck - will be winding into form with an Oline and a QB getting their execution down and could win the Super Bowl - this is not fantasy - it is credible.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all - Bravo Ikno - putting yourself out there - giving us something to think about and discuss.

I loved your playoffs scenario with the Chiefs - facing two straight weeks in Denver - LOL - that would be so delicious.

It is so tough to predict the NFL - but there are some trends you can count on. The Raiders are still too thin and young - injuries can crater their season once again - fairly easily. Andy Reid - does not appear to be the coach who can get a team over the hump, but he is some what of a genius in building playoff teams. The Chargers are a wild card, but they have the same problem the Raiders do - only worse - they have less depth and less overall talent - and a new coach - which can cut either way.

Last year this forum was uniformly and almost unanimous that the Oline needed to be fixed and if so - the Bronco running game would have to take pressure off of the young QBs - for the Broncos to succeed (See Dak Prescott and the Cowboys). As many here feared - the Oline failed and so did the running game. Therefore we had QBs playing in a spot where they were literally wearing "Sack Me" signs -based on the necessary play calling and game situations.

This year the Defense is still intack - and arguably reinforced in the middle of the Dline -with one of the top Dback groups of all time in NFL Football.

So it boils down to the offense - once again. What do we know?

1) Leary - Watson and Bolles have been added - Paradis -while rehabbing - has been a gem.
2) The QBs - whatever you thought of each of them last year - are one year better - having had the off season to work on correcting stuff and getting healthy.
3) The coaching with McCoy - is an offense designed to be able to accentuate the strengths of any QB taking the snaps. McCoy - has a well deserved reputation for pulling this off - especially in Denver.
4) The Oline coach is Davidson - who is one of the top Line coaches in the league. Coaching would likely be better - and fit the offense McCoy is designing.
5) CJ, Charles and Booker - all have great skill in catching outlet passes and screens - a McCoy favorite over the years - and one weirdly not used much last year. It is also a means by which QBs can reduce the rush - or to counter the anticipated rush.
6) John Elway has mandated improvement in this area and he always gets what he wants. He has Certainly - engineered the resources and coaching to succeed.

For these reasons I agree with Ikno in the macular - the Broncos will likely be a playoff team - and with a little luck - will be winding into form with an Oline and a QB getting their execution down and could win the Super Bowl - this is not fantasy - it is credible.
IF......the run game is significantly improved and with the D still looking formidable, this team can certainly make playoffs. Whether they go further will require those two critical pieces to happen and also the Qb who is leading the offense to take advantage and perform at the level it will require to get to the big game. I can see the run game improving etc, just don't think either TS or Lynch is ready just yet to pull it off . If some are content with just making playoffs, I see a decent chance of that. The others that won't be satisfied unless SB appearance, don't see that happening. But....If Denver does get into the playoffs, at least we'll all be thinking the same then :)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At first I didn't like it at all. I figured it would be almost impossible to beat the same team two weeks in a row. But when I got to thinking about it, the Chiefs would be in between a rock and hard place going into the week 17 game. Do you arrange to stay in Denver two weeks? Even if it's just a "contingency?" By doing it you are acknowledging you may well lose that game and while these guys are professionals and know it's hard to win games, they aren't going to readily admit defeat before a single snap. But then they put themselves in a position to have to travel back and forth two weeks in a row or scramble to make arrangements for lodging and a practice facility for the week between the final game of the season and wild card weekend.

I feel either way the blow to their psyche would tough for them to overcome.

And as storied as the AFC West is, there is actually very little playoff interaction between the Broncos and their AFC West rivals. Broncos are 1-1 vs the Raiders, and 1-0 vs the Chiefs and Chargers. That's it: just 4 playoff games with AFC West rivals. I would love to see the Broncos square off against the AFC West in the playoffs more often.