• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game Over, Man.
Disgustingly funny. I laughed way too hard at the crude, repulsive humor.

Will probably watch again some day.

Never heard of it. Looks funny. I will try it. Thanks.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logan.....I've never seen any of the Wolverine movies with Hugh Jackman,but it was a good movie......If you like comic book movies....

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished two movies today.

Dont Look Back: 2/5 stars. 1967 documentary about Bob Dylan's 1965 concert tour in England. I'm a big fan of Dylan, but this documentary was just so-so to me. It should be noted that I am not a documentary aficionado, but I will say that cinema is cinema. The movie looks at Dylan bullshitting with his friends, dodging and sometimes interacting with his fans, performing at concerts, and arguing back and forth with journalists. The bit with the journalists is by far the highlight of the movie, without it I don't think it would have been very good at all. I personally think that Dylan engages in pseudo-philosophy quite often, but it's nonetheless interesting to see him and argue and reason with a member of the "man" of the time in journalists.

Molly's Game: 3.5/5 stars. Actually a pretty decent film. And I only say "actually" because the movie was completely different from the movie I was expecting.

The movie ends up being a triumphant will-of-the-spirit uplifting movie. Like I said, was not expecting that. Given the cast of Chastain (who was good) and Idris Elba (who has one fantastic scene), and the fact that the movie was about the takedown of people involved with illegal gambling and the mob, I was expecting a crime thriller.

I was happy this film did not go the "fuck men" route that it could have, especially considering all the bullshit that Chastain had to go through because of various men in her life. The redemption angle was a much better look, even if it leaves the overall film a little short on thematic crime drama content.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Psycho: 3/5 stars. I definitely liked the style of the film, and its build-up of suspense in the first half was good (though there's been much better suspense-building in the 60 years since, or in Hitchcock's psychological thriller from two years prior, Vertigo (4.5/5 stars)) but the plot and script leave much to be desired. Namely, holy balls, I know this movie came out in 1960 when I wasn't alive, so I must ask- had the word "subtlety" been invented yet? If so, Hitchcock must have never learned it, if this film is any indicator. The ending was like getting hit over the head with a hammer.

Nice performance from Perkins, who looked like a 1960's Andrew Garfield.

FWIW, if this movie came out today (even in an updated for the times version), no way it gets the critical acclaim that it did. Best case scenario, it gets viewed like A Quiet Place (2.5/5 stars), but no way does it become the iconic film it became for being released ahead of its time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Psycho: 3/5 stars.

FWIW, if this movie came out today (even in an updated for the times version), no way it gets the critical acclaim that it did. Best case scenario, it gets viewed like A Quiet Place (2.5/5 stars), but no way does it become the iconic film it became for being released ahead of its time.
Well, duh.

If it were release today, it, uh, wouldn’t be “ahead of its time” like it was when it WAS released, in NINETEEN SIXTY!!!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat: 1.5/5 stars. Holy shit, what a fucking mess of a film. Somewhere in the midst of the 2 hour 50 minute runtime, there was a good film in here. Sadly, Michael Mann’s direction, story writing, and most of all editing proves him to be a no talent hack.

(Ok, “no talent hack” may be a bit heavy handed, after all, this guy did direct Public Enemies (4/5 stars). Still, he was the biggest problem with this movie IMO.)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat: 1.5/5 stars. Holy shit, what a fucking mess of a film. Somewhere in the midst of the 2 hour 50 minute runtime, there was a good film in here. Sadly, Michael Mann’s direction, story writing, and most of all editing proves him to be a no talent hack.

(Ok, “no talent hack” may be a bit heavy handed, after all, this guy did direct Public Enemies (4/5 stars). Still, he was the biggest problem with this movie IMO.)

Heh, Ok, as a professional editor, I can't wait to have you break down how Mann fucks up the editing of 'Heat.'

Now if you'd said Miami Vice, I'd be on board. But even then, the EDITING of that movie wasn't the biggest problem it had.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently ranked in like the top 25 or something on IMDB's top 250 films. Lol
A lot of those big block busters start out that way and then gradually decrease over time.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, Ok, as a professional editor, I can't wait to have you break down how Mann fucks up the editing of 'Heat.'

Now if you'd said Miami Vice, I'd be on board. But even then, the EDITING of that movie wasn't the biggest problem it had.
I’m not talking about “editing” like you are, i.e., selecting shots and ordering them into particular sequences. I didn’t have a problem with that, though the bank robbery scene (the last robbery) was a little wonky, IMO.

I was referring to Mann’s inclusion of whole scenes that shouldn’t have been included. As in, he should have “edited” whole scenes and even subplots out of the film. Specifically, the second robbery was way too fucking long with guys shooting automatic rifles, the scenes with Val Kilmer’s wife, the scenes with De Niro’s girlfriend, the whole fucking subplot with Portman slitting her wrists.

If the whole movie was about how De Niro and Pacino paralleled each other, why was all that other shit in there? And De Niro’s entire motivation was “one last job, then I get out of here and live the life I want.” And then he betrays that, ditches his girlfriend, and gets killed and then his final words are “I’m not going back.” The fuck? The preceding 160 minutes of film was never about not wanting to go back to prison, but about getting away and living a fulfilling life.

This is my second time watching the movie. I remember having mixed feelings the first time, and wanted to rewatch it to see if I missed something. Some movies just don’t click with everyone. FWIW, the first hour IS very engaging.

Apologies for not using the correct verbiage regarding film editing.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not talking about “editing” like you are, i.e., selecting shots and ordering them into particular sequences. I didn’t have a problem with that, though the bank robbery scene (the last robbery) was a little wonky, IMO.

I was referring to Mann’s inclusion of whole scenes that shouldn’t have been included. As in, he should have “edited” whole scenes and even subplots out of the film. Specifically, the second robbery was way too fucking long with guys shooting automatic rifles, the scenes with Val Kilmer’s wife, the scenes with De Niro’s girlfriend, the whole fucking subplot with Portman slitting her wrists.

If the whole movie was about how De Niro and Pacino paralleled each other, why was all that other shit in there? And De Niro’s entire motivation was “one last job, then I get out of here and live the life I want.” And then he betrays that, ditches his girlfriend, and gets killed and then his final words are “I’m not going back.” The fuck? The preceding 160 minutes of film was never about not wanting to go back to prison, but about getting away and living a fulfilling life.

This is my second time watching the movie. I remember having mixed feelings the first time, and wanted to rewatch it to see if I missed something. Some movies just don’t click with everyone. FWIW, the first hour IS very engaging.

Apologies for not using the correct verbiage regarding film editing.

All the secondary characters/plot are there to establish why the two's rivalry mattered.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the secondary characters/plot are there to establish why the two's rivalry mattered.
I agree that that was their intention (establishing the rivalry). I just didn’t feel they succeeded or that it really amounted to much at all.

I recognize that I’m in the minority on this movie.

Last edited: