• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @chf, posts dating back to 2016 show my consistency on the subject
Wow. I don't do a 20 point/star scale, but a 19/20 does seem quite high for that movie. Of course (unlike some on here), I do understand that the enjoyability of a movie is 100% subjective and each person is entitled to their opinion regarding a film.

Calling Man of Steel a "masterpiece" sounds like a stretch even to me, the biggest believer in subjective enjoyment when it comes to films. I gave it 2.5/5 stars. Michael Shannon basically carried a bland script of aliens throwing each other off buildings, IIRC.

Again, you're free to think that. But you may be confusing my posts on the Phillies or baseball with my posts about films. I have strong, and sometimes lengthy, personal opinions on films, but have always maintained that enjoyment of films is 100% subjective. In fact, I have said that while others, like @chf have dissented and said that some films are objectively good or bad.

You said the last 10 minutes of the show may have saved the whole series for you. Not an opinion I hold, but fair enough; I've always been the first to champion the idea that cinema's inherent enjoyment is completely subjective from person to person (my 18 year old friend with Down Syndrome is obsessed with getting me to watch "Descendants 2," an ABC TV-movie that he is convinced is the greatest piece of art to ever be conceived. I wonder what he'd think of "The Leftovers":noidea:).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you're AGAIN, assigning me position that I didn't take. A film-maker doesn't have to slavishly stay true to the source material, I never said that.
And I never said that you did say that. Accusing others of strawmmen while strawmaning ~irony

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Country For Old Men: 3/5 stars. I enjoyed this one a lot more a second time, but the anti-climatic ending still bothers me a tad bit. My father enjoyed it a lot more, at 4.5/5 stars.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: 3/5 stars. The first half of the movie is fucking awesome. Like a really great piece of cinema. The second half kind of drags and the movie kind of goes out with a whimper, except for maybe the last scene. Maybe Gilliam intended this as a depiction of drug usage, but if he did, I would have wished he would have focused on some sort of thematic content, whether from the book (that I didn't read) or his own thinking.

Depp was awesome. He truly is a great actor who doesn't get his due often enough. Del Toro was kind of annoying, but then I guess he didn't have much to work with with his character. The soundtrack was amazing. My favorite scene with music is when Depp is driving down the highway and "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" plays.

To me, this movie is about using drugs and how awesome it feels when using them, like you're the king of the world- and paralleling that feeling with the mentality of the United States of America. The two are very similar, and almost intertwined. In that way, the movie succeeded.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: 3/5 stars. The first half of the movie is fucking awesome. Like a really great piece of cinema. The second half kind of drags and the movie kind of goes out with a whimper, except for maybe the last scene. Maybe Gilliam intended this as a depiction of drug usage, but if he did, I would have wished he would have focused on some sort of thematic content, whether from the book (that I didn't read) or his own thinking.

Depp was awesome. He truly is a great actor who doesn't get his due often enough. Del Toro was kind of annoying, but then I guess he didn't have much to work with with his character. The soundtrack was amazing. My favorite scene with music is when Depp is driving down the highway and "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" plays.

To me, this movie is about using drugs and how awesome it feels when using them, like you're the king of the world- and paralleling that feeling with the mentality of the United States of America. The two are very similar, and almost intertwined. In that way, the movie succeeded.

You need to read the book, and read up on Hunter Thompson and Oscar Zeta Acosta in general, to have any real insight and appreciation of the film, IMHumbleO.

Del Toro is fucking great in it, fwiw.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of, they just aired a pretty great documentary on PBS about Oscar Zeta Acosta called The Rise and Fall of the Brown Buffalo.

That mawfk was the definition of "crazy af".

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to read the book, and read up on Hunter Thompson and Oscar Zeta Acosta in general, to have any real insight and appreciation of the film, IMHumbleO.

Del Toro is fucking great in it, fwiw.
The scene with Del Toro acting out the police coming in and shooting and apprehending him WAS fucking awesome, IMO. The rest of his performance was just ok to me, but to each their own.

I read the first couple chapters of the book about two months ago. Might need to go back and read the whole thing now, because I did enjoy the movie (it's my favorite of all the movies I've rated 3/5 stars)

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scene with Del Toro acting out the police coming in and shooting and apprehending him WAS fucking awesome, IMO. The rest of his performance was just ok to me, but to each their own.

I read the first couple chapters of the book about two months ago. Might need to go back and read the whole thing now, because I did enjoy the movie (it's my favorite of all the movies I've rated 3/5 stars)

I've read the book dozens of times. The first time, I read it straight thru in a day or two. It's an excellent read IMO. Love the movie too...quotable af. Thompson was a wordsmith.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Downsizing last night. Aside from a couple of chuckles, this movie missed the mark in a big way. Almost seemed like 3 separate movies? Really lacked a point? Seemed like they were trying to make some political statement, but the overall plot was garbage.

The movie could've been a lot better.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Downsizing. lel

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lincoln Lawyer.....Damn good movie............Worth watching.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @chf any comments? Don't be a pussy now, man. it's ok to admit you were wrong.

It's okay from me to admit I have a life too. What were we arguing about?

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lincoln Lawyer.....Damn good movie............Worth watching.

It was good. I think the lead character and the way he operates is what made it cool, rather than the movie as a whole. I think it would make for a good Netflix series.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good. I think the lead character and the way he operates is what made it cool, rather than the movie as a whole. I think it would make for a good Netflix series.

It was cool........I wonder if there are actually any Lawyers that took up that idea.....?

And yeah,it actually ended up being a who-dun-it.......I kinda figured there would be an ending with his defendant,but never figured out who killed his assistant.