• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 Billboards Outside Ebbing MO. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but downgraded for a couple of plot twists that rang false.. 8/10. Great performances from all of the primary characters and Frances McDormand will probably win her 2nd oscar. Plan to see Darkest Hour and The Shape of Water this weekend.

What didn't you like??

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What didn't you like??

On reflection I might give it a 9.. especially compared to recent releases, but

The introduction of the "Is he the killer" guy and him threatening Mildred in her shop. Who is he and why would he do that and draw attention to himself, was my thought watching that. Also, the complete 180 degree redemption of Rockwell's character was a bit too pat and quick for me.. though his redemption had to happen so that's a quibble.

Neither really affected my enjoyment of the movie. Highly recommended for anyone who likes their comedy a bit, but not too, dark.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Downsizing last week. Disappointing to me. Looked a lot better in the previews. Became a political movie by the end. People can be downsized so that a little bit of money is worth a lot, since the size of adult toys can be very cheap since their very small.

Regular people get upset because the small people aren't buying enough and this hurts the economy. Other unforeseen problems develop and the end is very weird.

Tried to be too many things. Dark comedy, regular comedy, drama. A mess by the end. Don't know her name, but the Vietnamese lady who's a house cleaner is the best part of the movie. C+

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loving Vincent

Watched it when I heard it was the first fully animated movie via oil painting. Visually, it didn't disappoint. And you should watch it for that reason alone. Also tells the story (don't know how accurately) of his last few days and how the town saw him. As the movie notes, he only sold 1 painting during his lifetime. To that thought, I don't get why people pay so much for art. The Always Sunny episode paints it perfectly for me. That being said, I just want to buy some awesome artwork to put in my place.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Downsizing last week. Disappointing to me. Looked a lot better in the previews. Became a political movie by the end. People can be downsized so that a little bit of money is worth a lot, since the size of adult toys can be very cheap since their very small.

Regular people get upset because the small people aren't buying enough and this hurts the economy. Other unforeseen problems develop and the end is very weird.

Tried to be too many things. Dark comedy, regular comedy, drama. A mess by the end. Don't know her name, but the Vietnamese lady who's a house cleaner is the best part of the movie. C+

Downsizing was an interesting concept that just never went the full distance. Once the Vietnamese chick was introduced the whole thing went downhill.

The only reason people are able to cheaply afford things is because you have larger individuals manufacturing it. If everyone downsized yes we would create far less waste/pollution but we'd be under constant threat from the environment, which would make it inefficient since we've evolved to succeed at the size we are. Take ants for example who move far faster and can breed much more quickly. Without the Terminex guy spraying mass amounts of chemicals at a quantity far more effective than those of the 'small people' as the movie puts, we'd be wiped out.

Here's a better solution.... tell humans to stop fucking and breeding. Remove tax and social incentives. If you want to have 2 kids in the US, fine... but you get no tax break for anything beyond the 1st kid and food stamps/child support, etc. are entirely eliminated. Require a license for breeding otherwise you could serve jail time, fines, and a complete revoke of voting rights, etc.

It could've been a really interesting movie, but the directors/producers didn't have any balls.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Downsizing was an interesting concept that just never went the full distance. Once the Vietnamese chick was introduced the whole thing went downhill.

The only reason people are able to cheaply afford things is because you have larger individuals manufacturing it. If everyone downsized yes we would create far less waste/pollution but we'd be under constant threat from the environment, which would make it inefficient since we've evolved to succeed at the size we are. Take ants for example who move far faster and can breed much more quickly. Without the Terminex guy spraying mass amounts of chemicals at a quantity far more effective than those of the 'small people' as the movie puts, we'd be wiped out.

Here's a better solution.... tell humans to stop fucking and breeding. Remove tax and social incentives. If you want to have 2 kids in the US, fine... but you get no tax break for anything beyond the 1st kid and food stamps/child support, etc. are entirely eliminated. Require a license for breeding otherwise you could serve jail time, fines, and a complete revoke of voting rights, etc.

It could've been a really interesting movie, but the directors/producers didn't have any balls.

Don't take it that seriously, it was just a movie and we don't have the capabilities to make small people. The rest of you're post is just your own political view about something we can't control. Remember we still have the rest of the world, which definitely matters.

Something that a lot of people don't understand about movies is that quite often it isn't a lack of guts by the director concerning the end of the movie, but what the director actually wants to say. He may not care whether you or I agree with it.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coco

Good music. Great story. Most beautifully animated movie I've ever seen. Not a dry eye in the house at the end of this one.

9.5/10.0

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On reflection I might give it a 9.. especially compared to recent releases, but

The introduction of the "Is he the killer" guy and him threatening Mildred in her shop. Who is he and why would he do that and draw attention to himself, was my thought watching that. Also, the complete 180 degree redemption of Rockwell's character was a bit too pat and quick for me.. though his redemption had to happen so that's a quibble.

Neither really affected my enjoyment of the movie. Highly recommended for anyone who likes their comedy a bit, but not too, dark.

Gotcha.

Ya I agree that the harassing in the shop was kinda random and didn't really get cleared up.

I didn't have a problem with the character development tho. I don't think his character was ever that bad of a guy just and ignorant idiot who lived with his mom. He had the eye opener so to say.

But yeah I get how you can also think it was too quick.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Imitation Game.

I'm wondering how many types of these movies we need. Whiplash and Social Network are still pretty fresh in my memory and its another movie about genius and the stupidity of the common folk and why geniuses need to be obsessive. Bleh. Like those other movies, though, this one is well done but its strength is actually in dealing with the main character's personal struggles and sexuality and not the actual 'mission'. Keira Knightley is great even if she doesnt have the same level of focus as something like 'A Dangerous Method' and she has a lot of chemistry with pretty much every character. Also like 'A Dangerous Method' it does a good job of showing just how awfully ignorant we've been throughout human history. Its a solid movie that almost put me to sleep in the beginning.

Saw Fargo.

I'd seen bits and pieces of it but I hadn't actually watched it all the way through. Actually seeing it makes me a little disappointed it wasn't longer. Fargo is a celebration of small triumphs and the stupidity of greed. It almost feel like a rough draft to No Country For Old Men and yet is definitely more satisfying and somehow more optimistic.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MudBound

Meh. It was boring as fuck for the most part. But it was well done, and it tell the “right story”, so it will likely get lots of recognition.

6/10

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Imitation Game.

I'm wondering how many types of these movies we need. Whiplash and Social Network are still pretty fresh in my memory and its another movie about genius and the stupidity of the common folk and why geniuses need to be obsessive. Bleh. Like those other movies, though, this one is well done but its strength is actually in dealing with the main character's personal struggles and sexuality and not the actual 'mission'. Keira Knightley is great even if she doesnt have the same level of focus as something like 'A Dangerous Method' and she has a lot of chemistry with pretty much every character. Also like 'A Dangerous Method' it does a good job of showing just how awfully ignorant we've been throughout human history. Its a solid movie that almost put me to sleep in the beginning.

The interesting parts to me is that it's based on fact. Turing was one of the fathers of modern computers. His Turing test is well known.

Saw Fargo.

I'd seen bits and pieces of it but I hadn't actually watched it all the way through. Actually seeing it makes me a little disappointed it wasn't longer. Fargo is a celebration of small triumphs and the stupidity of greed. It almost feel like a rough draft to No Country For Old Men and yet is definitely more satisfying and somehow more optimistic.

Great movie.

I saw The Last Jedi - Very good. Didn't understand the controversy

Lady Bird. Also good. Not about Lady Bird Johnson!

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferdinand.

The kids really wanted to see it. They enjoyed it.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coco

Good music. Great story. Most beautifully animated movie I've ever seen. Not a dry eye in the house at the end of this one.

9.5/10.0
Coco's afterlife sucks.

You spend the rest of the afterlife like you were when you died?

So if you die a young man, you spend the afterlife as a young man-bones.

If you die like Coco, you spend the afterlife like you died, in an old bones body.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skull Island

Better than I was expecting, but I was expecting absolute trash. Of course, you need to check ALL critical thinking at the door with this flick, so I will not go into those problems with the movie. Hard to talk about a movie when you are required to turn your brain off before viewing, though.

5.5/10

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that goes deep down the Blockbuster shelves... :) Which is ironically where I bought that movie from not too long before they went out of business.

Really solid movie, very slow paced though for most people. My kid watched it as part of their SS class last year.

Never frequented Blockbuster, was always cheaper at my friendly local stores. Still have one and get 1st run BluRay rentals for $3.50 Canuckistanian.

And on that note, rented Dunkirk last Thursday. not what I expected, decent though.

And those screaming Stukas took me back to my first Cox .049 gas plane. Loved my Stuka. And they sounded wonderful on my system.