• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Great Wall - This is an example of Matt Damon slumming it. Pretty dull I thought and the CGI monsters didn't really look impressive. 2 out of 5 stars
Wonder Woman - One of the better DC movies up to this point. Gal Gadot has done much better as Wonder Woman than I ever thought she would. 3 out of 5 stars
Get Out - I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Definitely a good mystery/horror flick. 3.5 out of 5 stars

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't bad...kidz loved it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder Woman - I liked it. Not sure how it stacks up against Man of Steel (need to rewatch that). Gadot and Pine were really good. Like UVA said, Gadot has been a lot better than I expected.

Sully - Very good. It was cut up kind of like a documentary. I liked that it was relatively short for a movie these days.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder Woman - I liked it. Not sure how it stacks up against Man of Steel (need to rewatch that). Gadot and Pine were really good. Like UVA said, Gadot has been a lot better.
Still a step behind the Marvel stuff, but pretty good.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunkirk: 4/5 stars. This review is spoiler-free.

Well, if you ever wanted to live vicariously through the Dunkirk Evacuation or just general WWII combat through a Christopher Nolan film, then this movie is for you...

But seriously, a really good war film. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of war cinema (no Saving Private Ryan, no Hacksaw Ridge. Hell, I've only seen 2 episodes of Band of Brothers. I might watch that next now that I just finished The Leftovers. Still need to finish the third season of Peaky Blinders, but that shouldn't take too long), mainly because I'm not a fan of war. No, I'm not some hippie pacifist who doesn't sometimes see its necessity. But I don't like its glorification, and I will not "salute" a veteran and act like he saved my life or something. That implies that I give two shits about this life, which I don't. I would be out there myself if it was for a cause I believed in or if I thought any of you motherfuckers' lives were worth saving.

Wow, I really get off-topic with my movie reviews. I would erase my comments to make my post more focused, but it took me like 5 minutes to write, and that shit was kind of poetic.

Regarding Dunkirk, it gave an excellent visual experience. Much like Interstellar (4/5 stars), there were moments where Han Zimmer's score or the background noise is so fucking loud that you can't hear the dialogue. The British accents didn't help matters.

Speaking of dialogues and characters, this is one of the few movies I've awarded a high score where there is such little emphasis on the characters themselves. The characters in this movie are basically unimportant (there's hardly any character development, the character motivation is status quo for a war film); but I wouldn't have this film any other way. The film is about the war and how fucking brutal it was, and it succeeded. The only major thing I would change about this film was the last 15 minutes. I see what Nolan was trying to show (their contributions WERE significant, even though they were virtually just nameless individuals who, by themselves, could accomplish nothing), but I would have excised that part or changed it.

With a war film now under his belt, Christopher Nolan is treading into Stanley Kubrick territory. IIRC, Kubrick himself wanted all of his films to be different, stand-alone films from any genre. It is probably the reason he did The Shining (2.5/5 stars) and rarely, if ever, had the same leading man, or even supporting actors, appear in his different films.

While Nolan certainly has used various actors a multitude of times throughout his films, I get the sense that he now wants his films going forward to be independent of each other. He's famous for psychological thrillers; Dunkirk was not one, and I would guess that he shies away from the genre going forward. Just my guess.

After seeing Dunkirk in theaters, I can continue saying that I've seen every theatrical-length film that Christopher Nolan has directed. Here is my list, from favorite to least favorite, film of his. Notice there is no negatively reviewed films on the list.

1. The Dark Knight (5/5 stars)
2. Batman Begins (5/5 stars)
3. The Prestige (4.5/5 stars)
4. The Dark Knight Rises (4.5/5 stars)
5. Insomnia (4.5/5 stars)
6. Interstellar (4/5 stars)
7. Inception (4/5 stars)
8. Dunkirk (4/5 stars)
9. Memento (4/5 stars)
10. Following (3.5/5 stars)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Dunkirk. Loved it.

Recommend seeing it in IMAX.
I saw it in "XD," Cinemark's version of IMAX. I didn't notice any difference, except that my wallet felt about $10 lighter:noidea:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Into The Wild
Heart Of The Sea
Liked 'em both.
I slept through most of the 1st movie. It was pretty good too. Can't remember what it was called.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would erase my comments to make my post more focused, but it took me like 5 minutes to write, and that shit was kind of poetic.
Scratch that, my whole fucking review was goddamn poetic.

Come to think of it, not just the post. My whole fucking life is a cinematic masterpiece. In continuing his trend of diversifying his genres, expect Christopher Nolan's next film to be a chronicle of my life, up to and including my fatal coke overdose

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Into The Wild
Heart Of The Sea
Liked 'em both.
I slept through most of the 1st movie. It was pretty good too. Can't remember what it was called.
Not trying to be funny; do you enjoy being a pothead? I smoked a lot in high school, and still occasionally light the J, but I think it's too boring to go through life dazed and confused. If I were ever to do drugs hardcore, it would be something that stimulates or heightens my experiences in life. Cocaine and crystal meth come to mind.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be funny; do you enjoy being a pothead? I smoked a lot in high school, and still occasionally light the J, but I think it's too boring to go through life dazed and confused. If I were ever to do drugs hardcore, it would be something that stimulates or heightens my experiences in life. Cocaine and crystal meth come to mind.

I haven't decided yet. The experiment is ongoing.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't bad...kidz loved it.

maxresdefault.jpg

That movie was fucking awful. Yes your kids probably loved it.. the fact you said it wasn't bad means your balls have since been detached since you got married and grew crotch fruit.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch this movie all the time with the kid. He loves it. It really has funny stuff in it.
Look, you libtarded poosie, the movie has two dogs eating a strain of spaghetti at the same time until their mouths meet... it's clearly teaching children to accept homosexual tendencies and will make them grow up and vote for that H>unt!!!

But seriously, I will say that children movies have gotten better in recent years (at least, I've noticed there are many kids' movies that have received critical acclaim and I have heard from others who are grown that they are good). I haven't seen any kids' movies in recent years myself because I don't have any children, save for Up (4/5 stars) and Inside Out (2.5/5 stars). I also saw Despicable Me when it came out and really enjoyed it, though I did not rate movies back then.

You see, back in my day, we didn't have the voice-acting talents of Steve Carrell or Amy Poehlor to star in children films. We had the over-the-hill Billy Crystal and John Goodman cash-grabbing as they realized their days of being the leading men in adult comedies and dramas were dwindling....

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, you libtarded poosie, the movie has two dogs eating a strain of spaghetti at the same time until their mouths meet... it's clearly teaching children to accept homosexual tendencies and will make them grow up and vote for that H>unt!!!

But seriously, I will say that children movies have gotten better in recent years (at least, I've noticed there are many kids' movies that have received critical acclaim and I have heard from others who are grown that they are good). I haven't seen any kids' movies in recent years myself because I don't have any children, save for Up (4/5 stars) and Inside Out (2.5/5 stars). I also saw Despicable Me when it came out and really enjoyed it, though I did not rate movies back then.

You see, back in my day, we didn't have the voice-acting talents of Steve Carrell or Amy Poehlor to star in children films. We had the over-the-hill Billy Crystal and John Goodman cash-grabbing as they realized their days of being the leading men in adult comedies and dramas were dwindling....

To the bold, and this is a serious question. Do you think that the newest Power Rangers movie was an adult or kid movie?