• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, first, I never said the movie was terrible, I said Johannson sucked, and thusly ruined an "otherwise decent flick." The fact that she "ruined it", was meant to imply that.

My bad for reading too much into it, but given that she was in about 85% of the scenes, she sucks kinda' torpedoes that movie then.

I thought she was fine in that role. <shrug>

I'm sorta ambivalent about her. Not Meryl Streep, but not the worst actor either. The way you wrote your post, you'd think she was Denise Richards bad.

So when you say 'terrible,' I think you're overstating it just a bit.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. You think he is overstating his personal opinion?

Sure. I'm disagreeing with him on the degree. Do you think I'm overstating his overstatement?

Gee how far down this trail could we go?

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad for reading too much into it, but given that she was in about 85% of the scenes, she sucks kinda' torpedoes that movie then.

I thought she was fine in that role. <shrug>

I'm sorta ambivalent about her. Not Meryl Streep, but not the worst actor either. The way you wrote your post, you'd think she was Denise Richards bad.

So when you say 'terrible,' I think you're overstating it just a bit.

I liked her in Lucy (although there wasn't much to see of her "real" talents")

Then again she did play sort of unfeeling human/robot there too.

And she was great in "Her" where she played a robot with a personality.

What about the Avengers?

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. I'm disagreeing with him on the degree. Do you think I'm overstating his overstatement?

Gee how far down this trail could we go?

It made me *laugh, so please continue. You can both have opinions, obviously, but neither can actually be "wrong" (IMO). It is completely subjective and there is no known formula to detect how good an actress SJ is..therefore a subjective opinion (both by individuals and the collective) is all that exists. Admittedly, you may have read enough of his posts to believe that you can detect when he is overstating his own opinion. Naturally, you can have an opinion on his opinion.

*I may have overstated the actual laughter part.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It made me *laugh, so please continue. You can both have opinions, obviously, but neither can actually be "wrong" (IMO). It is completely subjective and there is no known formula to detect how good an actress SJ is..therefore a subjective opinion (both by individuals and the collective) is all that exists. Admittedly, you may have read enough of his posts to believe that you can detect when he is overstating his own opinion. Naturally, you can have an opinion on his opinion.

*I may have overstated the actual laughter part.

Tone is tough in this format. I got ya.

I DO think that there are some actors who are just objectively bad. The biggest Denise Richards (I wanna let her do me with a strapon) fan would be hard pressed to argue that she can act even at the dinner theater level.
There's a few actors who are chameleons who can be awful and terrific depending on the director/script see: Cage, Nicholas. Yep, that's the same guy from Leaving Las Vegas that's emoting about bees...

Then there's some actors who are just good at making people not like them. See Joffrey in GOT. Hell I spent about a decade despising Matt Damon after his appearance in 'My Bodyguard.' Turns out he was just a really sold actor playing an a-hole.

Good grief, am I dating myself with that reference.

Some actors just rub certain people the wrong way. But are actually pretty solid actors. See Gunn, Anna.

At any rate, just a guess, but I suspect that Johannsen fits closer to the Skyler White end of the spectrum than the Denise Richards end.

Of course, it goes without saying, YRMV.

:)

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thoroughly enjoyed watching Hidden Figures the other night.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At any rate, just a guess, but I suspect that Johannsen fits closer to the Skyler White end of the spectrum than the Denise Richards end.
I think of her as the female Keanu Reeves. A character who is good at being Alice going down a rabbit hole but someone who is very limited once she leaves her comfort zone.

After seeing Guardians 2 twice in 2 days, I'm starting to think that Chris Pratt is actually really limited as an actor, too. He just gets away with it because he is very expressive and very likable but he is Chris Pratt in every role that he does like how Denzel is Denzel in every role that he does.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think of her as the female Keanu Reeves. A character who is good at being Alice going down a rabbit hole but someone who is very limited once she leaves her comfort zone.

After seeing Guardians 2 twice in 2 days, I'm starting to think that Chris Pratt is actually really limited as an actor, too. He just gets away with it because he is very expressive and very likable but he is Chris Pratt in every role that he does like how Denzel is Denzel in every role that he does.

Now you've done it... I think she has more range than Keenu by a good margin. I actually haven't even seen those movies where's she's semi-naked because they weren't supposed to be that good but I think I will now just to see if there's a difference between her roles.. A lot of actors mail in some of their roles to get that paycheck from George Clooney to Robert Deniro to even Jack Nicholson.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you've done it... I think she has more range than Keenu by a good margin. I actually haven't even seen those movies where's she's semi-naked because they weren't supposed to be that good but I think I will now just to see if there's a difference between her roles.. A lot of actors mail in some of their roles to get that paycheck from George Clooney to Robert Deniro to even Jack Nicholson.
I dont know about a good margin but I'll agree that she is better. I liked her in Lost in Translation but as far as I can tell the whole idea of the movie was ambiguity and her acting is so....minimal...that she almost comes across as a Rorschach test. Keanu's acting is either non-existent or occasionally wildly overacting but he definitely gives the same kind of Rorschach test on his roles, too.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge fan of SJ outside of The Avengers movies, where her role is decent. But people who want to claim that she only plays the emotionless dolt should watch Don Jon (3.5/5 stars). She was just ok in the film, but at least she did get out of her comfort zone.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yeah, there's all kinds of sub-categories of actors and how they rate I suppose. Some are just larger than life, and so their 'personality' kind of overwhelms whatever they play. I put Jack Nicholson in this category. I don't think it's so much that he doesn't HAVE range, he's just become JACK F'ING NICHOLSON!!!, and so he doesn't have to do nuance anymore.

Some actors you don't THINK have range, but actually do but rarely show it. Will Ferrell is like this, unless you're one of the twelve people on the planet who watched 'Stranger Than Fiction.'

Then there's the actors who have no range, but can be awesome if the role is just perfect for them. (Stallone, Arny, etc etc etc.)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, there's all kinds of sub-categories of actors and how they rate I suppose. Some are just larger than life, and so their 'personality' kind of overwhelms whatever they play. I put Jack Nicholson in this category. I don't think it's so much that he doesn't HAVE range, he's just become JACK F'ING NICHOLSON!!!, and so he doesn't have to do nuance anymore.
Jack Nicholson definitely is coasting as larger than life for most of my lifetime but he has kind of earned that and if he is in a good enough movie it still ends up working. I keep expecting Jennifer Lawrence to fall into that trap every time I see her for some reason but every time she has at least a couple of scenes where she totally nails it and I wonder why I ever doubted her.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I see this thread, I want to respond, but I never can remember the last movie I watched. Take yesterday for instance. I watched 4 movies, but I can't remember the last one. In fact, the only one I remember was Gravity. It was lacking and limited.

In my defense, I was pretty stoned.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green Hornet 2011.

This movie is awful, stupid, predictable, slow, offensive, unoriginal...

Just going to give it an F and be done with it.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starcrash via Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Good fucking Hell...if I could go back in time, I would stop Star Wars from being made, just so there wouldn't be 100's of shitty attempts to cash-in on the genre. Some of the aspects in this show are so blatantly stolen from star wars, but stolen by an 8th grader, who filmed the entire thing "at Rick's Dad's house." This movie "stars" a young David Hasselhoff, which makes it kinda "fun", but it is definitely a festering turd.

MST3K still rules tho.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched The Girl On the Train the other day. I really enjoyed it. However I also read the book so I was prepared for a few things that translated well from book to film for a reader and may have frustrated a person who only watched it. I would give it a 6.5 out of 10. Slightly above average. Not the best film I have ever seen, but it is worth a watch (maybe not for all but definately if you read the book).