• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen it yet, but it is pretty high on my must-see list.

I will be flying cross country on Friday. Hopefully Delta has it in their library by then. They didn't have it last weekend...
BTW, not to be the guy who asks everyone what they thought of the movie they just saw (especially when that movie is 16 years old), but what did you think of Mulholland Drive, assuming you've seen it? I think it was like Pulp Fiction, but without the great dialogue and general semblance of a plot and coherence.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing, but one of the cooler parts has already been spoiled to you. Don't worry (and not to spoil it any further), but it's not a main sticking point. The movie is awesome in its own right.
Yes, it has been spoiled, but I am OK with that. Shamalamadingdong had destroyed his reputation with me over the years, that he lost the right to be able to plesently surprise me again. I needed to hear good things about the movie before I was going to give him my time.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Room. I really liked it. I was very leery going in due to the subject matter... it didn't sound like much fun. Brie Larson won an Oscar for her role as the mom. She deserved it. It starts with her son's 5th birthday. The 2 of them have been confined to a locked room by a guy who kidnapped her 7 years prior. Her son is the result of one of his rapes of her, which happen frequently, and the boy has never seen anything outside of the room. They have a TV which the kid thinks is purely make-believe because he knows of no existence aside from what's inside the room. Spoiler alert -

They do escape.. I looked it up to assure my wife so she'd keep watching it. It would have been very grim if they hadn't. But the 2nd half is his discovery of a world he didn't know existed and his adjustment (or not) to all of that as well as her and her parents coming to terms with everything that has taken place as well as their notoriety now that they've been found. The boy who plays her son was terrific, also. I thought it was excellent though probably not for everyone.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, not to be the guy who asks everyone what they thought of the movie they just saw (especially when that movie is 16 years old), but what did you think of Mulholland Drive, assuming you've seen it? I think it was like Pulp Fiction, but without the great dialogue and general semblance of a plot and coherence.
I think I saw it, but I am not sure. It never left a mark with me. Maybe I should check it out (again?) sometime.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Room. I really liked it. I was very leery going in due to the subject matter... it didn't sound like much fun. Brie Larson won an Oscar for her role as the mom. She deserved it. It starts with her son's 5th birthday. The 2 of them have been confined to a locked room by a guy who kidnapped her 7 years prior. Her son is the result of one of his rapes of her, which happen frequently, and the boy has never seen anything outside of the room. They have a TV which the kid thinks is purely make-believe because he knows of no existence aside from what's inside the room. Spoiler alert -

They do escape.. I looked it up to assure my wife so she'd keep watching it. It would have been very grim if they hadn't. But the 2nd half is his discovery of a world he didn't know existed and his adjustment (or not) to all of that as well as her and her parents coming to terms with everything that has taken place as well as their notoriety now that they've been found. The boy who plays her son was terrific, also. I thought it was excellent though probably not for everyone.
Is it based on a true story? There was a girl who was found in a Cleveland house a few years back who was in that kind of situation for something like 15 years. She even had kids in the situation as well.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it based on a true story? There was a girl who was found in a Cleveland house a few years back who was in that kind of situation for something like 15 years. She even had kids in the situation as well.

No, but I remember that case too. It's based on a book that was written before that case was discovered and a similar situation in Austria, the Fritzl case, which I just looked up and kind of wish I hadn't. I gave it a shot, not really expecting to like it, because it's free on Amazon prime and it had been nominated for best pic and Larson won best actress. The boy who played the kid was really good... about the best performance I've ever seen from someone so young. He was actually 7, playing 5.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mulholland Drive: 3/5 stars.
The film makes absolutely no sense. I still enjoyed it quite a bit given that. But it made no sense, and it wasn't supposed to I don't think.

It's definitely one of those movies where the story telling is totally out of sync. It's really confusing

Naomi Watts gives a very nice performance as a woman involved in a sexually obsessed lesbian affair.. :)

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garden Of Words (2013)

This is a critically-acclaimed anime from Makoto Shinkai. It's only 45 minute long, so there wasn't a lot of time to flesh out much. The plot is clever and heartfelt, with nice ideas but a little simple due to the abbreviated running time. What really sticks out here is the gorgeous animation - probably the best looking animation you'd ever see. A+ for visuals, B+ for story that left you wanting more.

A-

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely one of those movies where the story telling is totally out of sync. It's really confusing

Naomi Watts gives a very nice performance as a woman involved in a sexually obsessed lesbian affair.. :)
Did you like it overall?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hacksaw Ridge 9/10

Andrew Garfield surprised me. Very good performance. Makes me want to watch "Silence" now.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you like it overall?

I agree with those that thought the plot was confusing and it took a while to sort of figure it out. That was interesting I guess.. I'm not going to lie though. Naomi Watts was the highlight for me.

I've never watched it again and I often do that for movies I like.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sausage Party - weirdest pron I've ever seen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Split today.

Very good movie. McAvoy was not as good as Edward Norton, but he was very good.

I was totally expecting Casey to be more involved in some way. Especially when we learned Kevin's last name (Crump). I can only assume Shamalamadingdong named her that specifically as a red herring. Well done.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

They doubled down on what made the first one enjoyable, then they expanded the universe. It's hard to match the feeling you get from the first movie, or any first movie in a series, simply because you're being introduced to these characters and their universe for the first time. I believe this is why most sequels typically get graded lower than the original - even if the quality is on-par. IMHO, Volume 2, once you strip away that novelty of the first movie, is a better movie than the original.

A-

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched "Just Cause" last night, Sean Connery, Larry Fishburne. I had thought it was a court room drama as I really like them, it wasn't but it still wasn't a bad movie...

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost in the shell.

They ruined this movie with Scarlett Johannson. She is awful. Just a terrible actress overall. Nice tits, and it ends there. We get it, you're a robot. A dull, lifeless robot.....in every movie you've ever been in.

It's amazing how far tits will take you.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took one for the team yesterday, and sat through "Zeus and Roxanne." The best thing I can say about that one is that it eventually ended.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost in the shell.

They ruined this movie with Scarlett Johannson. She is awful. Just a terrible actress overall. Nice tits, and it ends there. We get it, you're a robot. A dull, lifeless robot.....in every movie you've ever been in.

It's amazing how far tits will take you.

Why was the movie terrible?

After reading the reviews I was expecting terrible. It was a good solid summer type movie.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was the movie terrible?

After reading the reviews I was expecting terrible. It was a good solid summer type movie.

Well, first, I never said the movie was terrible, I said Johannson sucked, and thusly ruined an "otherwise decent flick." The fact that she "ruined it", was meant to imply that.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Masterminds. Twas awful.