• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Joe Johnson Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Johnson signed with us for two years 22 million.

BTW an interesting bit of trivia - Joe Johnson was Rodney Hood's favorite player growing up. Here's a picture of 12 year old Rodney taking an autograph from Joe Johnson:

RodneyHoodJoeJohnson-1-1024x696.jpg

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From elsewhere:

+++++++++++

Utah – signing Joe Johnson is a big help.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that we don't get to see him 2x a year during the regular season, but Joe Johnson has been out of the West for 11 years, when he signed that first contract with Atlanta in 2005.

Welcome back.

Good ball handler, midrange shooter, smart defender.

He went against my fantasy team one time in 2007 or 2008. He started the Monday with a 17 assist game. He finished Sunday of that week with a 40 point game.

Last edited:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be proud to call Joe Johnson my favorite player (if he was).

What I mean is that he's a good player to try to emulate, on and off the court.

Yes, there were hurt feelings during the negotiations with Phoenix in 2005, which is why he left for Atlanta.

But I understand Johnson's position.

Johnson was a FA for the first time in his career. He just wanted to feel wanted.

Instead, Sarver said "go out and get an offer and we'll match it".

Yes, it could be smart business. But it can also seem cold.

What Sarver should have done, is make a sales pitch, same as done for any good FA.

How about "we value what you've done for us the past 2 years, and we think you can be a part of something special for the next 6 years. We won't let any other team get you".

That way, you're both sending a message that the player is wanted, and you're also doing your part businesswise, by making him hesitant to seek out other offers. (He should, but at least it will give him some pause).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who were Exum and Jingles' idols?

++++++++++

NBA Free Agency 2016: 22 ways Joe Johnson will help the Utah Jazz

So this marks the second time we have a young player on the Jazz who was drafted that was later on paired up with that player's idol growing up. The first was Dante Exum (2014 Draft) and Joe Ingles (2014 Free Agent). Now Rodney Hood (2014 Draft) and Joe Johnson (2016 Free Agent). I can't wait to see which pair the Jazz create next season. More than that, though, I can't wait to see what our young guys pick up from Johnson.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That pic even has a date on it. 07/02/2005. If I'm seeing it correctly.

But the sign and trade for Joe Johnson to Atlanta wasn't official until 2005-08-19.

Why would Joe Johnson be meeting kids in Atlanta before the deal was even official? And before he had a chance to show that he could help turn Atlanta around?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, here's the story. Johnson was still a FA from the Suns at that time.

++++++++++++

Me vs. Rodney Hood (Utah Jazz)

It was the summer of 2005, when a then 10 year old Rodney and his Mom were in New Orleans, visiting the sites. They had just left the aquarium and had decided to go shopping when they surprisingly spotted Joe Johnson of the Phoenix Suns.

Rodney was beyond excited but too shy to approach Johnson. Seeing an NBA player wasn’t something that happened in Meridian. But Hood’s Mom did what Mom’s do and approached Johnson for her thrilled son.

Johnson was kind and so humble. He took a picture with little Rodney and signed an envelope that Hood’s Mom happened to have.

That short encounter was huge for Hood.

“It was the biggest thing that had ever happened to me,” he explained.
“And I remember that, and how I felt,” he continued.

“When kids come up to me now, I see myself in them, because I was that kid. I want every interaction to be as close to perfect as it can be for anyone I meet, young or old, because I know the impact that those moments can have.”

“I know that if I’m respectful, patient and kind that they will remember that. I also know that if I brush them off they will remember that. I want them to have a great experience. I know they see me differently because I’m in the NBA and I take that responsibility seriously.”

“What may be a small moment of time for me, could be something they remember for the rest of their life. I know I still remember my time with Joe,” he said reflecting.

This past season when the Jazz played in Brooklyn against the Nets, the kid got to play against the man that impacted him that day in Louisiana. He guarded Joe and Joe guarded him.

After the game he was able to thank Johnson for being a blessing in his life, so many years earlier.

Today, Rodney is being that same blessing in lives of others.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread hasn't been bumped since July 5, 2016?

Why wouldn't @MHSL82 have bumped it more often midseason, after Johnson's positive play?

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Johnson playing like Jordan in the 4ths quarters here in game 4 and 5

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would watch the Hawks playoffs games just for Joe Johnson. I even predicted him to win a All-Star Game MVP before.

I would always hope to see something like this in the playoffs but never really did.

And now he's doing it this year!