• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hoiberg effect on the bulls

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant wait for the season. I think we are going to see a much better offense, more active and excitement. I feel this will be a good change

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not get the Gasol signing, seemed like another Boozer boobie prize at the time, but seems if you completely take the GArpax side to this, I kinda see:

Gasol was needed because the bulls knew how bad Noahs knee was, So Noah should have gotten limited minutes off the bench until he got back to game shape, Gibson should have started.

Noah would come in for Gasol, Mirotic would spread the floor when Gibson left.

I always though Dunleavy was signed to be a 20 minute man, not a starter
McDermott was drafted to learn that Dunleavy 20 minute job

After the summer league, when Snell was full of confidence it should have been
PG, Snell, Butler, Gibson, Gasol starting

Snell goes out, Butler to the 2, Dunleavy in at the 3 against their bench guy, Mirotic and Noah file in.

Jimmy was always gonna log big minutes.

Instead you got 40 minute men and Noah and Gasol both playing the 5.

Mirotic took the step halfway thru the season and was Mr fourth quarter multiple times, ends up getting benched when rose returned at the end.

Thibbs is all about defense and the bulls got him offensive players. I guess we see if Hoiberg is on this page with Garpax.
Gasol was a great signing. He was what we needed. He is 100x better then Boozer.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we need to replace boozer? I thought the plan was Taj and Mirotic at PF. You paid Taj starter money.

All I am saying is Gasol replaced Noah. Finishing off 2013-2014, was center really the issue when you want to keep the lane open for your guards to drive and kick to shooters or was Gasol yet another boobie prize? If you are going to start Gasol and sub with Noah, its a good plan if you have 20 million to tie up at the center position. But they were not used that way were they?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the roster of men who have gone straight from college head coaches to NBA head coaches since the 1993-94 season (* denotes first head NBA job):

• Lon Kruger* (Illinois to Atlanta Hawks): 69-122 from 2000-03, no playoffs
  • Rick Pitino (Kentucky to Boston Celtics) 102-146 from 1997-2001, no playoffs
  • John Calipari* (UMass to New Jersey Nets): 72-112 from 1996-99, 0-3 in playoffs
  • Tim Floyd* (Iowa State to Chicago Bulls): 49-190 from 1998-2002, no playoffs
  • Mike Montgomery* (Stanford to Golden State Warriors): 68-96 from 2004-06, no playoffs
  • P.J. Carlesimo* (Seton Hall to Portland Trail Blazers): 136-109 from 1994-97, 3-9 in playoffs
  • Reggie Theus* (New Mexico State to Sacramento Kings): 44-62 from 2007-09, no playoffs
  • Leonard Hamilton* (Miami Hurricanes to Washington Wizards): 19-63 in 2000-01, no playoffs

Its just flat out not a successful route to success.

Look, in baseball, Anthony Rizzo is a really good player, but to have the current brain trust of the cubs chasing him after they left Boston, Hoyer getting him in a trade to San Diego, then the cubs trading their one prospect that could have been a legit ace to get him again just leaves a bad vibe. The Bulls are already guilty of this with McDermott. Paxson stalked him all thru highschool and college, then made the move to get him. A real nba coach didnt use him. The same thing happened with Hoiberg it what seemed like whenever Freddie decided to coach in the NBA, he just had to tell Paxson he was ready.

Its up to god whether he will survive, deciding to come to the pro ranks a month and a half after his second heart procedure.

You can compare all you want, but it goes farther than Iowa State and pretty much one of the reasons Calipari stays in college. You are no longer dealing with kids on the yellow brick road, you are dealing with multi millionaires with agents and possee's in their ears.

Brad Stevens? He's doing well..

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we need to replace boozer? I thought the plan was Taj and Mirotic at PF. You paid Taj starter money.

All I am saying is Gasol replaced Noah. Finishing off 2013-2014, was center really the issue when you want to keep the lane open for your guards to drive and kick to shooters or was Gasol yet another boobie prize? If you are going to start Gasol and sub with Noah, its a good plan if you have 20 million to tie up at the center position. But they were not used that way were they?
no the plan was Gasol to play the 4 and stretch it out and a good pick and roll player and noah at Center. Gibson would be the back up and all would rotate at center. Mirotic we didn't know if he was coming this year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offense looks good. dont worry about pre season record. backs have been playing the whole 4th.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Hoiberg was leaning to having Noah backup Gasol and leaving the fours as mirotic, gibson and Portis.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, anyone else as pleasantly surprised by the play of Portis?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, he looks a little uncoordinated, but with mirotic starting and gibson off the bench I dont know when he sees playing time other than blowouts

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could they start Rose Bulter Mitotic Gasol Noah? That would be a legit starting five.

I have been crying for this! This line up is huge and Thibs used it when we beat Golden St on the road with no Jimmy B last year.

Mirotic at the 3 please! At least use this line up at times. Go big or go home.

Ready for some Bball!

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been crying for this! This line up is huge and Thibs used it when we beat Golden St on the road with no Jimmy B last year.

Mirotic at the 3 please! At least use this line up at times. Go big or go home.

Ready for some Bball!
Mirotic getting regular time at the three would be a disaster...

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mirotic getting regular time at the three would be a disaster...

Why? How? :)

He's not as quick as Scottie, but he's athletic and can even handle the ball decent. He's got every shot on the floor. He's taller too so it makes up for him not being quick. Not saying he has to guard the other teams SF, i'm just saying throw a "Big" line up in every now and then isn't a bad idea.

And i'm not saying he's Bird, but he's not much slower than him. Mirotic at the 3 and Butler at the 2 is fine. Butler can match up with every SF in the league.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? How? :)

He's not as quick as Scottie, but he's athletic and can even handle the ball decent. He's got every shot on the floor. He's taller too so it makes up for him not being quick. Not saying he has to guard the other teams SF, i'm just saying throw a "Big" line up in every now and then isn't a bad idea.

And i'm not saying he's Bird, but he's not much slower than him. Mirotic at the 3 and Butler at the 2 is fine. Butler can match up with every SF in the league.
Butler can't guard two players though. Mirotic would not be able to d up 2s or 3s, wouldn't have the handles (which are good for a 4, but not for a 3), and he just isn't familiar with the position. I can get on board with him playing there sparingly, but I'd rather have butler, snell, McD, Moore, Hinrich, or Rose playing the three before mirotic gets significant minutes there. It's really just a terrible idea, especially when we can put McD there who provides pretty much the same things, but is a natural 3 and knows how to play it.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler can't guard two players though. Mirotic would not be able to d up 2s or 3s, wouldn't have the handles (which are good for a 4, but not for a 3), and he just isn't familiar with the position. I can get on board with him playing there sparingly, but I'd rather have butler, snell, McD, Moore, Hinrich, or Rose playing the three before mirotic gets significant minutes there. It's really just a terrible idea, especially when we can put McD there who provides pretty much the same things, but is a natural 3 and knows how to play it.

If you want Heinrich playing the 3 you are out your dam mind son - he will get abused more than anyone. If Butler can check Lebron, then he can guard anyone. Mirotic can probably guard most 3's in the league as, but not Lebron, Melo, Durant, etc. I'm just saying throw a Big line up at somebody to shake things up every now and then.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hinrich had a great playoffs against Miami where he guarded Wade, James and Chalmers a few years ago. Yes it was a few years ago, but if you are talking two or three minute spurts, Kirk can handle the 3 and defend a ton better than McDermott.

I have always seen Jimmy as a 3, really dont know why he is being called a 2 other than all star voting.

So far really good coaching, back to back and most guys were right around 30. I just hope people dont start teasing Rose saying he looks like a chinese troll doll to where he gives up the mask and misses time.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want Heinrich playing the 3 you are out your dam mind son - he will get abused more than anyone. If Butler can check Lebron, then he can guard anyone. Mirotic can probably guard most 3's in the league as, but not Lebron, Melo, Durant, etc. I'm just saying throw a Big line up at somebody to shake things up every now and then.
Most threes in the league would drive by mirotic like he's not even there. I'd rather see them shoot over Hinrich. I don't want either defending other threes or playing the three though.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I have never seen Heinrich do anything but get killed on defense.

Defending Lebron and Wade good? That's saying Kirk is elite and he ain't elite at anything in the NBA. Maybe he's elite at brushing his teeth or eating cheerios... But I never watched him guard great players and say, "wow Kirk is really putting in down tonight".

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I have never seen Heinrich do anything but get killed on defense.

Defending Lebron and Wade good? That's saying Kirk is elite and he ain't elite at anything in the NBA. Maybe he's elite at brushing his teeth or eating cheerios... But I never watched him guard great players and say, "wow Kirk is really putting in down tonight".
I disagree, but have you ever seen anything different from mirotic on defense?