• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Gordon Hayward Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jazz got to quit branding themselves as a development franchise. We don't want to continually be a farm team for the big markets to reap.

I think every situation is different. And the FAs that leave, the don't always go to big markets.

Wes Matthews went to Portland.

Hayward was also considering Miami (a mid to small market). Pat Riley and no income tax in Florida were probably factors.

Deron Williams, Boozer, Millsap, Favors, and Gobert all signed at least one extension.

For Hayward, I'd also be a little nervous since last year was the first great year he had.

Also, I don't think he's going to like his lesser role in Boston. He's not going to get the ball much, and the media will eat him for having that contract but not scoring like he did last year. He's someone who was always trying to prove he belonged with the other stars, and now he won't get the ball enough to really fit in.

As for Favors, this might be premature, but I think injuries have hampered him, and I don't know if he can get back to his previous form.

Exum still could show something, but time is running out.

Let's see what else the Jazz do in FA.

They made the right move by not resigning Hill.

I also feel bad for Ricky Rubio since he flew 13-15 hours from Spain just for the meeting with Hayward.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are people seriously burning his jersey now? Come on guys

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What jerseys have Celtics fans burned in the past?

Burning a jersey because someone leaves in a trade or FA is flat out ridiculous

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burning a jersey because someone leaves in a trade or FA is flat out ridiculous

But I'm sure some fans have done it, especially given how long the Celtics franchise has existed.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think most of these burnings are just so someone can be more visible on social media.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I'm sure some fans have done it, especially given how long the Celtics franchise has existed.

They probably have but I still would call them idiots

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say he had someone ghostwrite three versions. If it's supposed to be heartfelt, write it yourself if you aren't uneducated.

Didn't like how late he made his mind up. Jazz talked trade at trade deadline. Reportedly suggested by Hayward's camp. Opt out late so you have liability coverage, but let us know. You had time.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we rename this the Gordon Haywood thread?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say he had someone ghostwrite three versions. If it's supposed to be heartfelt, write it yourself if you aren't uneducated.

Didn't like how late he made his mind up. Jazz talked trade at trade deadline. Reportedly suggested by Hayward's camp. Opt out late so you have liability coverage, but let us know. You had time.

I don't think it would have mattered. A team trading for a rental that will be a FA at the year's end isn't going to give up much.

Plus, the Celtics have to shed salary to make the deal work. So they'll start trading away pieces, maybe some in a sign-and-trade for Hayward.

And if Boston doesn't, then Dennis Lindsey can still make some good moves for good contracts, and see what Hood can do in a larger role.

Losing Hayward will hurt some, but it's not as bad as losing a true superstar.

I also think often, when teams are forced to do a sign-and-trade for a departing FA, then they rarely get anything good back anyways, and often it's bad or long contracts. There's not much that can be gained from a departing FA.

The L.A. Lakers traded Shaq for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian Grant. Brian Grant was waived before the season started, and Butler was traded to Washington within a year.

Not even a MVP player in Shaq could get more than essentially an inconsistent sub-All Star player in Shaq.

If someone leaves, then Lindsey will have to make moves to get the talent level back. Hopefully it doesn't take him too long. Getting someone back immediately who may be on a bad contract isn't as much of a concern, as how to get the team moving forward 1-2 years from now.

Last edited:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the difference between the Salt Lake Tribune, and the Players' Tribune?

Why are both named "Tribune"