• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Gordon Hayward Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Gordon Hayward: Tough Guy

Hayward played one of his best games of the season. 24 points on only 13 shots, 2 of 4 from three, with 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. He did have 6 turnovers, but watching the game, those only impressed me more. Because Hayward more than any Jazz player won this game, and he did it by being old school Jazz tough.

Last season, when Hayward had yet to grow into the role of the stud who stirs the Jazz offense, he would go through spurts of conscienceless attacking of the hoop, bullying his way through much contact and into even more. After a while, he’d break down, physically, mentally, every way under the strain and ease up, settle for the mid-range jump shots that smart NBA defenses funnel players into.

The Bucks played aggressive, physical defense, but this season’s strengthened Hayward never pulled back on the throttle. He shot 12 free throws (making 10), 10 of them coming in the 4th quarter alone. All this in spite of being undercut on a drive and crashing the court in a gaggle of limbs that had me thinking he had two new joints, one on leg and one on arm. A little flex of his wrist and he got up and kept coming.

By the final two minutes, the Bucks resorted to trapping Hayward before he could even think of driving. He promptly turned the ball over twice, giving the Bucks another last attempt to win a game they, in all honesty, probably should have won.

But they didn’t, and Hayward played them to the point where they had to take the ball out of his hands beyond the three point line. That’s what stars do.

The Triple Team: Three Thoughts on Jazz at Bucks 1/22/15 | Salt City Hoops

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Gordon Hayward: Tough Guy

Hayward played one of his best games of the season. 24 points on only 13 shots, 2 of 4 from three, with 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. He did have 6 turnovers, but watching the game, those only impressed me more. Because Hayward more than any Jazz player won this game, and he did it by being old school Jazz tough.

Last season, when Hayward had yet to grow into the role of the stud who stirs the Jazz offense, he would go through spurts of conscienceless attacking of the hoop, bullying his way through much contact and into even more. After a while, he’d break down, physically, mentally, every way under the strain and ease up, settle for the mid-range jump shots that smart NBA defenses funnel players into.

The Bucks played aggressive, physical defense, but this season’s strengthened Hayward never pulled back on the throttle. He shot 12 free throws (making 10), 10 of them coming in the 4th quarter alone. All this in spite of being undercut on a drive and crashing the court in a gaggle of limbs that had me thinking he had two new joints, one on leg and one on arm. A little flex of his wrist and he got up and kept coming.

By the final two minutes, the Bucks resorted to trapping Hayward before he could even think of driving. He promptly turned the ball over twice, giving the Bucks another last attempt to win a game they, in all honesty, probably should have won.

But they didn’t, and Hayward played them to the point where they had to take the ball out of his hands beyond the three point line. That’s what stars do.

The Triple Team: Three Thoughts on Jazz at Bucks 1/22/15 | Salt City Hoops

Do you agree with this article?

Thanks for posting this. Wish I'd seen the game, I missed it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you agree with this article?

Thanks for posting this. Wish I'd seen the game, I missed it.

He did seem to be more aggressive, but I rarely would take one game's word for it against a general description of past play. He's been aggressive and confident in the past, and he will be passive and hesitant in the future. I think and hope overall he's grown.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this somewhere:

There wasa discussion last night as to whether or not the Jazz are getting the most out of Favors and Hayward. Over the past 9 games, Hayward has averaged 23 PPG. When you consider everything else he does on the court, you have top put him up there in the top 15 players in the NBA. I've always ran with the assumption that the Jazz will never have a superstar unless they draft one. Is it possible that the former "prototypical Jerry Sloan player" is blossoming into a superstar before our eyes?

The question you have to ask is whether or not this is sustainable. Players have hot and cold streaks all the time and you can't just cherry pick the best. So did Gordon just get hot? After doing a bit of research, I've found that there is some evidence to suggest that this more than just a coincidence.

The hot streak started January 22nd against the Milwaukee. If you remember correctly, that was exact game in which Quin Snyder name Dante Exum the starting PG. The starting lineup is the most important lineup because it's more than likely the lineup that will be played the most. So is Dante Exum a great PG? No, he's still 19 and still not very good. It's not about what Dante does, it's about what he doesn't.

The difference between Trey and Dante is that Trey (22.6%) is a much higher usage player than Dante (14.1%). On average, Trey uses 8% more of the possessions while on the court than Dante. When you sub in Dante for Trey, someone has to pick up those possessions. Dante certainly is shooting more, but Hayward is. In effect, Dante not shooting has opened up Hayward's game. This shouldn't come as too much of a surprise because something very similar happened earlier with Derrick Favors. Favors has started 5 games with Gobert, and in those games Favors average 19.8 PPG in just 31.2 minutes. You would think that Kanter and Trey would help Hayward and Favors by relieving pressure. In reality, I think their high usage is redundant and could be best used in other lineups.

I've always that efficient players should use as many possessions as they can. I think what these last 9 games have shown is Hayward needs to get more touches. His usage rate should start approaching 30%. It may not look like much, but that is the difference between being a great scorer and an elite scorer.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this somewhere:

Thanks. I liked it.

I'd like the ball more in Hayward's hands too, as he's versatile (scoring, passing). Moreso than any other player.

Interesting that Gobert and Favors starting together helped Favors too. I wasn't sure.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From nbawowy, Hayward's usage is 10% higher with Dante on the floor instead of Trey. Efficiency is the same.

With Trey, Hayward's TS% and USG% is most similar to Millsap.

With Dante, Hayward's TS% and USG% is most similar to *gasp* LeBron James.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think of my nickname for Gordy? The Pinball Wizard. He drives and bounces off the defenders. 11 FT attempts last game so it's a legit part of his game. Maybe not a nickname but something I'd use to describe it in color commentary

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think of my nickname for Gordy? The Pinball Wizard. He drives and bounces off the defenders. 11 FT attempts last game so it's a legit part of his game. Maybe not a nickname but something I'd use to describe it in color commentary

I like it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to watch a video in which someone calls Hayward "G-MONEY".

I just can't agree with that nickname. He has to at least do it in the playoffs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
image.jpeg

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are those people?

Is this pic just relevant because someone is holding a Hayward jersey?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are those people?

Is this pic just relevant because someone is holding a Hayward jersey?

Times Square, New Years Day national TV, someone thought to bring a Hayward jersey to represent.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the guy with the suit and microphone?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the guy with the suit and microphone?

Carson Daily - Spelling might be wrong. He was a host for music videos on MTV or something and then got bigger jobs, etc. Sort of like Ryan Seacrest.