• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Gordon Hayward Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Evolution of Gordon Hayward

by Skyler Hardman

158898868.jpg

In 2010 Gordon Hayward was the best basketball player at a small university, but most basketball fans had never heard of him. Then he led small mid-major Butler University to a Cinderella run to the Final Four and NCAA tournament championship game. Two months later he would become Utah’s third top-10 draft pick in 27 years when the Jazz used the ninth pick on the Horizon League star.

Hoping for a big man to fill the void left by Carlos Boozer, Jazz fans [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfG3q-kb0jw"]booed when the pick was announced.[/ame] “I heard the fans booed when I was drafted but I was just so happy to be drafted that it didn’t bother me at all,” Hayward later said.

Hayward’s rookie season was full of ups and downs and he was part of unprecedented change when head coach Jerry Sloan resigned and All-Star point guard Deron Williams was traded. Amidst that type of turmoil, it would be impossible for any rookie to shine, and those struggles made fans reiterate their displeasure with the pick.

Struggling to adjust to NBA level competition, Hayward started 17 games as a rookie. For every 36 minutes he was on the court he averaged 11.5 points and 4.1 rebounds. Those aren’t bad numbers for a rookie but they weren’t enough to silence the critical fans who wanted to see more than potential.

Late in the year, he cashed in on his potential in a way Jazz fans always love, beating the Lakers. In April Hayward came off the bench to play 35 minutes at L.A. He was asked to defend Kobe Bryant and contribute on offense, score 22 points on 14 shots, grabbing six boards and dishing five dimes. Bryant went 6-18 from the field with seven turnovers. The Jazz won 86-85. Suddenly the future seemed bright for the young Hayward.

During his sophomore season, his improvement was noticeable, but not drastic. He had very little time with his coaches during the off-season thanks to the lockout. In 2011-12 season, opinion of Hayward was shifting. With Williams gone and a young team led by veterans Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap, Hayward was expected to contribute in a big way. He did just that starting 58 games in the lockout shortened season, raising his scoring per 36 minutes up to 14 points and improving his overall game. He averaged an extra assist with each outing and had fewer turnovers while holding steady at 4.1 rebounds per 36 minutes.

In 2012-13 he really broke out and proved that he was a key player for the future of the Utah Jazz. Even though Hayward slid out of the starting rotation, only starting 17 of the 72 games he played, his scoring improved significantly.

He connected on 41.5% from three point range and hit 87.5% of his free throws. the boost from beyond the arc bumped his scoring per 36 minutes to 17 points.

Hayward’s scoring has improved each year since joining the Jazz, but that’s not even the best part of his game. He is well-rounded and is often asked to guard opponents best scorer. His length and quickness have allowed him to be a mainstay for the Jazz. With almost one block per game,
His performance and attitude have helped him become a fan favorite and team leader.

“Fans are passionate in general, but Jazz fans absolutely love their team. I know that if I play hard and leave everything on the floor than fans will appreciate it. My effort has changed their opinion and it feels good,” Hayward said.

After some major reshuffling this summer Hayward is the oldest returning player in Utah. At the preseason opener he was the most cheered of all the Jazz players.

In a very short time he’s gone from a booed draft pick to a beloved cornerstone of the franchise. He’s very much in the works with Team USA and could be on next summer’s World Championship team. Now entering his fourth NBA season, Hayward has blossomed into a very nice player and is on the precipice of becoming a star.

Who knows what his future holds and how his game will change, but the evolution of Gordon Hayward has had a terrific opening act.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is probably going to be asked to do more than he is capable of this year. I see him as a Scottie Pippen to some Michael Jordan that is out there somewhere. They are going to give him 18 possessions or more. I think that is too much.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see him as a 3rd best player on a team, at best.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you see him as our best player this year though?

Yes, but that's a meaningless compliment.

Favors has an outside chance if he can stay out of foul trouble and become more consistent.

Chances are, he will either become more consistent but stay in foul trouble, or stay out of foul trouble but have a few clunkers with extended minutes. It's difficult to expect him to solve both roadblocks for next year.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple days left to lock up Gordie. David Locke was saying that he sees him as a 2nd to 3rd tier forward. The money that is being talked about is anywhere from 10 to 15 per year! That seems insane to me. Yes, he is going to get a lot of points because he is being featured this year with us. And that is going to hyperinflate his value. This has the ear mark of a Kirilenko deal. I hope the jazz are cautious. And if he doesn't sign, then why feature? I just don't like setting up someone big time only to have him leave.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that settles it. Gordie is looking for the big payday, so no deal could be reached. This kind of pisses me off. What happened to loyalty? Im kind of growing more and more luke warm on the kid.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that settles it. Gordie is looking for the big payday, so no deal could be reached. This kind of pisses me off. What happened to loyalty? Im kind of growing more and more luke warm on the kid.

What's the big deal? The team has leverage. They can just match an offer when he hits RFA. The team will still probably get a decent deal, as other teams know they won't get Hayward unless they make an extraordinary offer.

Teams aren't exactly loyal either. One minute they tell you they're building around you, the next minute they're trading you. Or they decide they don't want to resign you.

It's just negotiations, and Hayward hasn't said much publicly about it, so I'm ok.

Only a few players each year get extensions after their 3rd year. The rest sign contracts when they hit RFA, usually with their original team but once in a while a team lets them go (Brandon Jennings).

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get how overinflated these guys get. How does Hayward balk at 10 million? It really doesn't matter I guess. I'd much rather they go this route than overpay and get Kirilenko'd.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get how overinflated these guys get. How does Hayward balk at 10 million? It really doesn't matter I guess. I'd much rather they go this route than overpay and get Kirilenko'd.

The Jazz will get a better deal this way. Extensions after a 3rd year for 1st round picks usually only benefit the player, not the team.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jazz will get a better deal this way. Extensions after a 3rd year for 1st round picks usually only benefit the player, not the team.

Or they get Millsap'd by Portland.

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or they get Milsapp'd by Portland.

Millsap was a bargain contract. He should have made a lot more, if Portland had made him his true market worth.

What he's making now is what he should have made then.

I still like the current Jazz frontcourt better, at both ends of the floor.

The CJ Miles and Millsap deals worked out favorably as team-friendly contracts.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix would be a great fit. Uptempo system which fits his game, Hornaseck is in Phoenix. He has 2 talented guards to play with in Dragic and Bledsoe. That corner 3 is always there.

1.Bledsoe
2.Dragic
3.Hayward
4.vaccant
5.Plumlee

He is like Chandler Parsons a 2-3 option depending on the system. Parsons is great in an uptempo system, and Hayward would be so succesful in Phoenix. Hes obviously yours but our gm and our fans really like him at the 3.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No secret, I think he is mediocre and not a pillar. I hope like crazy they don't give him the AK47 contract this summer.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have temptations to be impatient with Burkes and Hayward... Hayward has less reason to be patient with and more of a sample size than Burkes.

I wanted to do a cherry picking stat breakdown of Burkes, but I can't. There's no, ".... and now, he's got it" moment. I do think he sparked our record since the 1-14 start. We are 18-19 since.

To give you an example, I found a point in Jeremy Lin's first season with the Rockets where he was averaging <10 points, <35% shooting, <5 assists, etc. and a point after that, for the remaining of the season where he was >17 points, >50% shooting, >6 assists per game. I'm guessing on the numbers, but there was a stark difference. It's in the Houston Rockets' thread.

I have not paid attention to the Rockets or Lin this year because of him coming off the bench. It might be beneficial for him or the team with Harden there, but I refuse to give it any real merit. It's bogus to start Beverley, whom of which his defense is overrated. This year's team for me, as the non-Jazz team to follow (not root for), was the Phoenix Suns... but that tailored off when Bledsoe got injured.

I have no secondary team to watch (not root for). :( I also have less time to watch anyway.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I would sell high on Hayward and just trade him now, at the deadline. I don't know if there is a deal there, but try to get him to Boston for their pick and whatever contract to make it work out. He is no cornerstone. He is a side dish, like corn bread.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I would sell high on Hayward and just trade him now, at the deadline. I don't know if there is a deal there, but try to get him to Boston for their pick and whatever contract to make it work out. He is no cornerstone. He is a side dish, like corn bread.

I love your analogies.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want a pick from Boston, I want a playa.

Wow, Boston sucks at steals, blocks, and assists. I was thinking maybe Sullinger, but he doesn't get steals, blocks, or assists. Pass on anyone from Boston.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayward's agent is hoping this trade doesn't go through: Houston Rockets have eyes on Rajon Rondo of Boston Celtics - ESPN

They want it to be Rondo for Parsons, whom is the same type of player as Hayward. The agent wants Boston and Phoenix to be competing with the Jazz.

What happens to Lin if the Rockets get Rondo? Beverley gets axed or traded, but he's the starter. You'd try to trade the backup, no? I'm being a bit facetious here, because some acted like Beverley's starting was due to him being better than Lin as opposed to trying to get Lin to be the Harden of the bench and complimentary when overlapping.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-10 again tonight. The guy does not warrant a 10+ million dollar contract. If we saddle ourselves to something big like that, we are screwed.