• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Golden Bear is Safe

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Tiger

"This latest injury is not related to my previous surgery. I am having daily physical therapy and I am feeling better every day.
Right now, I need a lot of work on my game, and to still spend time with the people that are important to me. My play, and scores, are not acceptable for tournament golf. Like I've said, I enter a tournament to compete at the highest level, and when I think I'm ready, I'll be back. Next week I will practice at Medalist and at home getting ready for the rest of the year. I am committed to getting back to the pinnacle of my game. I'd like to play The Honda Classic -- it's a tournament in my hometown and it's important to me -- but I won't be there unless my game is tournament-ready. That's not fair to anyone. I do, however, expect to be playing again very soon.
I want to thank the fans in Phoenix and San Diego. They were amazing. I greatly appreciate everyone's support"

How is this a leave of absence if he is trying to get to the Honda? That is before the Masters.

Actually that is the 26th of this month. How can he not know if his game will not be tournament ready in 2 weeks? What could you possibly fix in 2 weeks when Tiger himself says "i need alot of work"

I guarantee he will be at the Masters. He wants that Majors record so badly he'll play on one leg if he has to. And if things start going badly in the first round he can always start limping or wincing and grabbing his back after every shot and use the "injury" excuse.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to believe that almost 30 years have passed since Jack won his last green jacket at 46. He has truly been a great ambassador for the game of golf, a real gentleman and someone who has contributed immensely to charitable causes. Jack wasn't so popular with some people and the press when he beat the King, Palmer early on. But if you just keep winning as Jack did after awhile they all have to give one their due. Happy Birthday and may you live to 100!

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack is the Best. He has 18 Rings. Tiger is the Second Best. He has 14 Rings. However, as such, he is the most influential because he broke the color barrier and made the most money in any sport played, ever!

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigger Nation is a steadfast lot. They will never admit Woods has little chance now, given the awful state of his game, to catch the Golden Bear, Nicklaus. Can he? Sure, he's 4 away and it should be pointed out that Nicklaus won 3 more at this same age/point in his career including the last one at 46. It should also be pointed out that Nicklaus considered himself semi-retired at this same point of his career since no other golfer at the time was even close this his Majors total. He had no one pushing him. if so, Nicklaus could have won a few more Majors and make this chase a moot point. After all, like Lee Trevino said, if Jack's short game had been a little better it would be a moot point anyway. Nicklaus it should be noted has 19 seconds in the Majors, the most by far.

So a little extra luck here and there and Nicklaus could have set the bar so high Woods would be looking at a pole vaulting bar while holding a straw. I'll defer to Nicklaus who is convinced and has stated so, that if he and Woods could have played in their primes, Woods would win. Ok, fine.

But what really matters is the record is 18 and only Nicklaus holds it. TiggerNation can talk all the smack they want, and they will, unless Woods gets 18 he's not the GOAT. Nicklaus is. And even if he actually passes Jack, I'll contend until hell freezes over that unless Woods goes on the Senior tour and wins 8 Majors there, Nicklaus would still have the greater overall career.

Let the record speak. 18 Majors wins, 19 seconds and 8 Seniors Majors. Today, and likely forever, Nicklaus is the GOAT!

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack is the Best. He has 18 Rings. Tiger is the Second Best. He has 14 Rings. However, as such, he is the most influential because he broke the color barrier and made the most money in any sport played, ever!

Woods is great but he didn't break the color barrier. Everyone could see the talent very early on and he's basically been living on a pedestal his entire life. I'm sure Peete had to deal with a ton of BS when he was playing on the tour. Hell, Rory McIlroy has dealt with more than his fair share of bullshit being Catholic in NI. He was talking about not competing in the Olympics because of all the crap about who he should compete for. He knew he'd hear it from the Unionists if he went with Ireland vs. hearing it from the Republicans if he went with GB.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger Woods spits on the green, he shouts F-bombs after errant shots, he yells at photographers for disturbing his shots, he slams his clubs after still another errant shot, he glares at reporters who dare ask him a straight question.... there's not much to like about this prima donna.

But the biggest problem for Mr. Woods is they started testing for PED's two weeks after his last major. He needs to call his Canadian doctor for advice very soon or retire.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger Woods spits on the green, he shouts F-bombs after errant shots, he yells at photographers for disturbing his shots, he slams his clubs after still another errant shot, he glares at reporters who dare ask him a straight question.... there's not much to like about this prima donna.

But the biggest problem for Mr. Woods is they started testing for PED's two weeks after his last major. He needs to call his Canadian doctor for advice very soon or retire.

I agree with all you posted...spitting, (Sergio does this often) Fbombs, and photographers (Too many to list have done that)...PEDs...that one is kind of new to golf, but a few players have been busted recently for pot and coke, snake oil or whatever it was VJ took.

Tiger was a great player...he was not a great person obviously and that's reason enough to not like him, but what you've described above casts a pretty wide net on PGAT players.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Broke the color barrier?

Umm, no.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He does look less muscular these days.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news, I finally started getting out regularly and have been hitting the ball pretty well. Just can't seem to eliminate the 2 or 3 bad holes that keep me from shooting in the low to mid eighties.

Yesterday I had one terrible adventure near and on the 4th green and throw in a couple of double bogeys and I barely broke 90 (89) which is pretty much my handicap. My buddy killed the back nine and finished with a 69 though so I lost by 20 strokes :L

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. from the tone of Woods' press release today, I think he is done. The last straw probably was hearing the crowd actually bust out laughing when he topped his 3-wood 60 yards down the fairway on 18 at the U.S. Open. I think he made the decision then.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger is in incredible physical condition, but much of the game is mental. I think it is entirely possible that he could win 5 more majors in his career if he can get his mental game together.

This isn't about the best person, it's about the best golfer, Tiger was well on his way until his mental prowess was decimated by the scandal, it is also possible that his window of opportunity has passed.
There is no doubt that letting himself get crucified in the media for that "Elin and the 7 iron" nonsense hurt him but, in my opinion, the real things that derailed him were the injuries that kept piling up. I mean, how can you play golf when your glutes aren't firing?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that letting himself get crucified in the media for that "Elin and the 7 iron" nonsense hurt him but, in my opinion, the real things that derailed him were the injuries that kept piling up. I mean, how can you play golf when your glutes aren't firing?

The name makes a difference, but imo, players come and players go...only the game remains.

Tiger's time has come and most likely is now gone...I have no issue with it.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone can compare athletes of different generations.........way too many variables.
But having said that (being a hypocrite)...........You can certainly make the case, that Tiger Woods has had far more competition from the top 125 golfers on the planet, than what Jack had.....And European, and rest of the world golf, is far bigger and greater competition for Woods........ Tiger has had far better equipment......but also far more pressure from the media........Tiger was a phenom..........maybe one of the greatest , and best known athletes on the planet in his time..........Jack never dealt with that.........Can you imagine playing golf with actual wooden drivers, 3 woods and balata golf balls?

You can go on and on.....and maybe Tiger's 14 major championship victories is equal to Jack's 18..........
We'll never know......

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ put it this way... we'll never see anyone sniff Tiger's 14 if thats all he ends up with.