• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The George Hill Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta will no longer be fun to watch.

We'll see how much Hill helps Utah.

Indiana needs more bigs, not wing players.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]
George Hill ranked among the most efficient spot up, off screen, and cut scorers in the NBA last season. Solid PG, terrific w/o ball too.
— Synergy Sports Tech (@SynergySST) June 22, 2016

According to @SynergySST George Hill has a 72% efg on unguarded catch and shoot 91st percentile -
— David Locke (@Lockedonsports) June 22, 2016

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George Hill told his agent that Utah was one of a few teams in the league he really wanted to play for. Why? Lindsey, Snyder, Hayward, team.

George Hill's agent described the point guard as "a family guy, a really serious, dedicated guy" who is excited about playing in Utah.

George Hill's financial adviser is a friend of Lone Peak' coach, so he agreed to help w/ a camp in May. Agent: "George loved it (Utah)."

George Hill's agent, Bill Neff: "He likes what the Jazz are about." That includes the team makeup and the team culture.
1 retweet 2 likes

Via Jody Jody Genessy (@DJJazzyJody) | Twitter

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennis Lindsey, you're supposed to trade for the best player and best fit in this deal, M-V-Teague.

Not the worst already-drafted player in this deal.

I think it would have worked salary wise, too.

They could have done it straight up, the draft pick for M-V-Teague.

No need to involve Indiana.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]
George Hill ranked among the most efficient spot up, off screen, and cut scorers in the NBA last season. Solid PG, terrific w/o ball too.
— Synergy Sports Tech (@SynergySST) June 22, 2016

According to @SynergySST George Hill has a 72% efg on unguarded catch and shoot 91st percentile -
— David Locke (@Lockedonsports) June 22, 2016

He barely is aggressive enough to get the ball, though.

He most likely will have huge stretches where he is not noticeable on offense or rebounding.

Maybe on defense, he will see.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennis Lindsey, you're supposed to trade for the best player and best fit in this deal, M-V-Teague.

Not the worst already-drafted player in this deal.

I think it would have worked salary wise, too.

They could have done it straight up, the draft pick for M-V-Teague.

No need to involve Indiana.

Teague would be a perfect fit for Utah's needs, and they wouldn't have to help Indiana either.

If they're worried about Teague leaving after 2017, they can try a sign and trade then. But he's the type of player they might not have gotten through FA directly, so they should have taken a minor gamble and had him for at least one year.

Plus, if Teague was happy in Atlanta, there's no reason to think that if Utah had Teague, and made a good playoffs run, that he would leave.

Plus, Hill makes the same money as Teague next year, and will also be a FA in 2017. So they're in the same situation with Hill as they would be with Teague, only that Teague is a better player, and more of what they need.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh, I want the Jazz to have who the Jazz want to have. If both were available, then I'd just assume we wanted Exum/Hill over Teague/Exum.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh, I want the Jazz to have who the Jazz want to have. If both were available, then I'd just assume we wanted Exum/Hill over Teague/Exum.

Maybe Lindsey didn't even consider it was possible for Teague to go to the Jazz.

Maybe Lindsey didn't ask.

It's like when someone doesn't ask for a better deal, even though one could have been had.

Maybe Atlanta and Indiana controlled the trade parameters.

Kevin Pritchard (Indiana) to Wes Wilcox (Atlanta): Wes, how are you? We'd love to get M-V-Teague.

Wes: Yup, we want to trade him and rebuild (even though it will make some guy named nuraman00 sad). We're looking for a good draft pick in return.

Kevin: Great, let me find a way to clear a little bit of salary. I'll call you back soon.

(Click.)

. . . .

Kevin, to Dennis Lindsey (Utah): Dennis, hi, how are you? No no no, don't hang up. This will not be a Pritch Slap, like I was known for doing in Portland.

How would you like George Hill? All you have to do is give your first round pick to Atlanta.

No no, nevermind what Atlanta's giving up, don't worry about that.

What do you say?

Dennis: Deal.

(Kevin puts Dennis and Wes on a conference call).

Kevin: We have a deal. Wes, I'll take what you offered before, and Dennis will give you his first round pick.

Wes: Great!
Dennis: Cool.

(All hang up.)

(After trade is official):

Dennis, muttering to himself: Wait, M-V-Teague was on the block?!?! :eek::L I just turned Indiana into a good team!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darn, 10 min edit timer just finished. I forgot to BOLD "Dennis" once above.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From another forum:

I think Utah felt they had a better chance at re-signing Hill.

I don't really know if Teague is really better in any significant way. Teague is better at some things, but Hill is better other things.

I think Hill is actually the better player and a better potential fit with Exum

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how the phone call should have gone.

Kevin Pritchard (Indiana) to Wes Wilcox (Atlanta): Wes, how are you? We'd love to get M-V-Teague.

Wes: Yup, we want to trade him and rebuild (even though it will make some guy named nuraman00 sad). We're looking for a good draft pick in return.

Kevin: Great, let me find a way to clear a little bit of salary. I'll call you back soon.

(Click.)

. . . .

Kevin, to Dennis Lindsey (Utah): Dennis, hi, how are you? No no no, don't hang up. This will not be a Pritch Slap, like I was known for doing in Portland.

How would you like George Hill? All you have to do is give your first round pick to Atlanta.

No no, nevermind what Atlanta's giving up, don't worry about that.

What do you say?

Dennis: Let me check with Greg and the others and get back to you.

(Click).

(Kevin waits by the phone, staring at it.)

. . . .

(Dennis places a call to Wes)

Dennis, to Wes: Wes, it's Dennis Lindsey from Utah. I heard you're trying to move M-V-Teague . . .

(Wes confirms.)

. . . Great, how would you like our # 12 draft pick for M-V-Teague, straight up. . . .

Sweet! See you around.

. . . .

(Kevin is getting tired and starts to pace.)

. . .

(More time passes, then he checks for trade alerts.)

(Kevin, with Larry Bird): The Jazz got M-V-Teague?!?! The Jazz! They did it again! :doh:

(Dennis' reaction):

:D

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Hill:

Much lower turnover rate, more consistent three point shooter over his career, better rebounder, more versatile, probably a better defender. Better hair.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most Boston fans on Real GM don't like the trade for Utah.

* He's 30
* He was traded for a # 15 by Indiana, now a # 12 from Utah.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another opinion from real gm's Boston board:

+++++++++++

I'm ignoring the other thread, love that Atlanta-Utah-Indy trade. Three smart, safe, conservative small-market teams make a smart trade. Surprised Utah didn't just take Teague for themselves, but Hill is probably a steadier hand directing the offense. Utah's been desperate for good point guard play, getting Hill to tutor Exum/Burke for the 12th pick is great. If they can just poach some of the Suns' trainers and keep everyone healthy, this is their year to make the leap and win 50. Nice upgrade for Indiana, too, their offense gets more dynamic, and Kawhi for Hill is a little less wince-worthy now.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hill is going to be the PG, I like him a lot more. That's a different role than his past teams.

Mack is a good rotation player, but a Hill and Hood starting backcourt is better for the team.

Exum isn't ready to be a starting player, and the Jazz can't wait for him to learn. They've already been in the lottery for 4 years, they need to win now which is what Johnson and Diaw and Hill are here to do.

If at some point, Exum plays well enough to get minutes, then his increased integration can happen over time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hill is going to be the PG, I like him a lot more. That's a different role than his past teams.

Mack is a good rotation player, but a Hill and Hood starting backcourt is better for the team.

Exum isn't ready to be a starting player, and the Jazz can't wait for him to learn. They've already been in the lottery for 4 years, they need to win now which is what Johnson and Diaw and Hill are here to do.

If at some point, Exum plays well enough to get minutes, then his increased integration can happen over time.

Good take. Please continue to come here, @nuraman00 ; I'll try to be more active, too.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good take. Please continue to come here, @nuraman00 ; I'll try to be more active, too.

Thank you.

I will continue to be here.

I like the makeup of the team right now.

(Not that it makes a difference, even when I didn't like it, I was here, lol.) I guess that means I'll probably have more enthusiasm, and there's a greater chance of more bumps of the Magic Words thread.

I'll be a bit inactive though at the beginning of November, as I need to start and finish a book by November 20th. So some nights, I'm pretty much going to read in the evenings instead of watch TV.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think Hill + Hayward + Johnson maybe the 3 best passing efficient wing players, all on the same team.

(Someone like Harden is excluded due to inefficiency, and Wade because he's been losing it too. I guess these 3 would be after Lebron James.)

It might not be your desired team structure with one PG setting everything up, but that guy isn't on the team, so this is the best way to use the good players they do have.

The way I see it, it will be like having 3 PGs, in that any one of these guys can create shots, or shoot efficiently, or drive and kick, etc. They will be less predictable in how they initiate things, then other teams.

Kind of like the modern Spurs, with Parker letting Leonard and Mills initiate the offense.

Johnson and Hill are also good defenders too.

If they ever get someone like John Wall, then sure, do things differently. But as I said, Mack and Exum aren't going to help the team if they are sole initiators. They'll be too predictable.

In a way, I think Hill + Hayward + Johnson will mirror Tyreke Evans, Jrue Holiday, and Eric Gordon from the Pelicans team a few years ago. I kind of liked how all 3 of them were equal opportunity playmakers. Their main goal though was to get Anthony Davis easy shots.

The Jazz don't have a player like that. Favors isn't Davis. So Hayward + Johnson + Hill will have to let anyone be the 1st option on a given play.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M-V-Teague is off to a horrible start for Indiana. I still would have preferred him, but the difference is very small now compared to the way I thought about it over summer.

I like what the team looks like right now so I'm not looking backwards, but with lasers-shooting-out-of-my-eyes forwards.