• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The future of the offensive line

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making sense of the Seahawks' offensive line philosophy

Pretty interesting article here that kinda backs up my personal belief about the OL.

The Seahawks have invested more in the OL than any other team aside from the Niners, in terms of drafts picks, since the current regime took over. We've also invested significant investment in early picks on the line. Yet our OL is pretty horrible.

Why is that? Certainly they could have made some better draft picks. The only pick that they have made that could be considered a clear success would Okung. Britt may wind up being a success. Carpenter is still in the league so maybe him as well. Of course 2 of those 3 are not on the team any longer.

Which speaks to the larger problem. A lack of continuity. It is bad enough that we expect converted basketball players to play left tackle. But when we constantly shuffle the deck I think that makes it almost impossible to have an effective unit.

So what do we do moving forward? IMO, the interior line is pretty much locked up. Glowinski, Britt, and Ifedi will be our starters next year barring something surprising happening.

George Fant, I think, provided enough to warrant being in the conversation for next year for LT. It was pretty impressive to me that he was able to play as a starter in the NFL so quickly. While I don't think he is a lock by any means, if he can show a significant improvement in the off season then I think he should be given strong consideration as the starter next year.

RT continues to be a mess for the team. I don't think this team has a starting quality RT on the team and, IMO, this is what they should focus on. And rather than using another high draft pick on someone who may or may not pan out and will certainly struggle in year one, I think we should spend some cash and bring in someone like Volmer or Eric Winston. Guys that have lots of experience and a track record of competent play. They won't cost a ton but they could then help build the squad.

We should also make some late draft picks to build our depth. But nothing crazy in that regard.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bringing in a solid vet is a good idea. Whoever it is can bring his knowledge of the game and help the younger guys learn the techniques such as foot work, opening up holes in the run game and how to block better in the passing game. The younger guys will look up to him and this will build good chemistry something the o-line hasn't had in a while.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We rebuilt the OL going into this past season, and now it's time to let it alone a bit and see what we have. This thing won't yield anything if we tear it up every year. Get some guys to their 2nd contracts here. Probably need some competition at RT. A healthy backfield going into '17 probably helps too.

The OL absolutely does need to be better for this team to get back to the SB, but I'm not sure that requires wholesale changes.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt we go into next season with the same junk OL, and it will doom our season again. Too many non nfl starters starting.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt we go into next season with the same junk OL, and it will doom our season again. Too many non nfl starters starting.

So who would you get rid of on the OL?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilliam is enemy #1, he has had 2 years and is confirmed garbage. Fant would be replaced in a perfect world too but they will stick with him

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilliam is enemy #1, he has had 2 years and is confirmed garbage. Fant would be replaced in a perfect world too but they will stick with him

Well you would need to replace him with someone better. Not a lot of options out there. If Fant continues to develop he would provide incredible value.

However it doesn't sound like you really believe that we should forklift the enter line.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No and i never said so. Replacing gilliam with someone better would be easy, it would be more difficult to find someone worse.

Plenty of vets out there could give us a couple years at RT until we can groom someone.

And i still want zeitler from cinci though its not gonna happen. Im not sold on glowinski at all, zeitler would be a huge upgrade for our run game and hes young.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, maybe Bradley Sowell is available!

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Available for what? Firing squad?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joke

Head

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be a long offseason......
:drink:

It's the golden age of TV, I'm still getting lots o' replay out of Civ 6, Mass Effect drops in March...

I'll survive. :)

May try and score some tickets for next year actually. Not sure if I'll do Seattle, or maybe the cheaper flight to watch a road game in Arizona.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the golden age of TV, I'm still getting lots o' replay out of Civ 6, Mass Effect drops in March...

May try and score some tickets for next year actually. Not sure if I'll do Seattle, or maybe the cheaper flight to watch a road game in Arizona.

Been trying to convince the wife regarding an Arizona road trip.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you get a chance for a home game, go for it. I would love to do the Clink one day.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you get a chance for a home game, go for it. I would love to do the Clink one day.

I've been to the Kingdome, UofW, and the Clink for a pre-season game, but never been to a regular season one. A bit pricey for me given my lack of a second income. I could do Arizona about 35% cheaper I figure.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to the Kingdome, UofW, and the Clink for a pre-season game, but never been to a regular season one. A bit pricey for me given my lack of a second income. I could do Arizona about 35% cheaper I figure.

I hear ya! One day I hope to hit up a regular season game at the Clink. So for now i'll settle on the half hour drive to the Link when the Hawks come to Philly.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya! One day I hope to hit up a regular season game at the Clink. So for now i'll settle on the half hour drive to the Link when the Hawks come to Philly.

My Dad and i used to do the 13 hour one way drive. Those days are long gone.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that keeping as much of the current offensive line together as possible and keeping them where they are in terms of position is the right way to approach this if Carroll, Schneider and Cable are happy with the progress each player made as the season went on. I become more certain of that everyday. It seems likely they'll be making a change at right tackle, but replacing one guy at one position is a lot easier on the team as a whole and on the group of linemen than what they've been doing for the past couple of years.

I'm sure Cable will enjoy not having to teach anyone a new position (assuming the guy we get to play right tackle actually played right tackle in college or on another NFL team), not having to teach a former defensive lineman how to play offensive line and not having to teach his blindside tackle how to play football. Granted, he had a hand in all those choices, so you can't really feel too sorry for him, but I'm sure he'll enjoy not having to do that stuff all the same. Get everybody on the same page, get them practicing together, working out together, hanging out together, etc., and have them work with Wilson a lot too so they know better what he likes to do and he knows better how they're going to block so he can help them and himself out.

For the first time in a while, we could have intended continuity on the offensive line (I say intended because injuries have a way with messing with intentions) and we could go into a season with the offensive line not being the #1 question mark that it's been for about a decade now.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Dad and i used to do the 13 hour one way drive. Those days are long gone.

Yep, I don't like doing long distance driving anymore. Put me on a plane and just get me there in a quarter amount of time.