• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The first 18 games

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the reality that we need to find a different hobby.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 and 15, I think that just about anyone a team sends to the mound, against the Reds, has a good chance for success. And two wasted good pitching efforts by the Reds.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 and 15, I think that just about anyone a team sends to the mound, against the Reds, has a good chance for success. And two wasted good pitching efforts by the Reds.
It is just insulting to watch these guys. They can't even worm out a walk on a 3-0 count now.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Reds aren't hitting homers they struggle to score most games. That's nothing new. Last season everyone was a power hitter and this year most of the team has been powder puffs.

The opposition hasn't had any problems finding the bleachers. Meanwhile the Reds are on pace to hit less than 100 homers. Last season there was a lot of speculation the ball was juiced. I haven't seen any data on the overall home run projection for the league, but the ball doesn't look to be jumping off the bat like it did last season. Some of that may be attributed to the weather, but the other team has been hitting in the same elements.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HRs that Weiss and Brice gave up were certainly launched.

Weiss & Brice sounds like a lawyer operation ... or a funeral home.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thames might have moved to the top of the Reds killers list. He only hit two home runs in that 3 game series, but both were game winners

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you need objective evidence, it's available- hr hit in GABP by Reds vs. against Reds...home and away Reds vs. opposition , run differential, etc. I don't need to research, I see the games. Reds offense disappoints, but more often than not, it's the Reds pitching as a whole that has been insufficient to win more than they lose...for a long time, and doesn't appear to be improving. I think we fans get dupedby occasional individual player improvement (i.e.:Bailey), trying hard for optimism.

I think most poor pitching is the result of the MLB method - they look to draft a fastball in the 90's, period. That hasn't changed. What has changed is the apparent lack of ability to coach / improve prospects technique for control, especially with other than the fastball. The Reds aren't the only team that can't find the plate unless it's a grooveball.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitching has a long way to go, but this team has played poorly defensively which hasn't helped. It's more than just the errors that are scored. Offline throws to the plate or missed cutoffs. Failing to turn the DP. Miscommunication or misjudging fly balls allowing them to drop in for hits. The true number of unearned runs is much higher than the pitcher's stat line represents.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitching has a long way to go, but this team has played poorly defensively which hasn't helped. It's more than just the errors that are scored. Offline throws to the plate or missed cutoffs. Failing to turn the DP. Miscommunication or misjudging fly balls allowing them to drop in for hits. The true number of unearned runs is much higher than the pitcher's stat line represents.

It is odd what turns a 5-3 loss into a 5-3 win and it's not about a 2-run double in the 8th inning.
Price using Hamilton in the 9 spot makes sense if the guys in the top half of the lineup are getting on often enough to make the bottom half useful.

But if the leadoff guy is on base 35 percent of the time and it's Jesse Winker, he is going to score only on a couple of hits. If it's Hamilton at 32 percent, he is going to score on one hit. Hamilton scores a lot of runs when he is on base. He should be hitting 1st, not 9th. Even Pete Rose says that. Rose has a clue about winning.
The math just sucks. Hamilton can't reach base, so what's the difference?
The manager who can't reach a solution is going to go 3-15.