• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breaksown: VT 87 WVU 82

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today’s WVU and VT basketball game was a display of inconsistency on the part of both clubs. WV races to a 17 point first half lead with 8 minutes only to go in at half time up by 5pts. 41-36. The 2nd half saw the Hokies go out to an 11 point lead only to see the Mountaineers claw back to a 75-74 lead at the 4:30 mark. But in the end, it was the guard play of VT that doomed the Mounties. WV was horrible at defending the guards off the dribble as VT guards rambled for 67 of their 87 points. This game also had another story for WV, it was called shot selection. Many times Harris and Staten forced shots in the lane 1 on 2 and 1 on 3. This will not win you games. A good player knows when it is there and when it is not. We obviously have not learned this concept.
WV was led by Remi Debo with 17, Harris 16, Browne 15, and Staten 10. WV shot a poultry 25-70 from the field for 35.7%. WV did make 11-24 3 pointers in a losing effort. The rebounding advantage went to the Hokies 44-43. The Hokies had 13 blocks on this day. ( see the above comment on driving the lane and forcing shots). WV had 14 assists to go along with 11 turnovers.
In conclusion, a tough lose punctuated by a loss of intensity, poor decisions, and some really questionable calls by the Zebra’s. Nonetheless, you learn from your mistakes and you move forward. This team will get better that I am positive of. I just wish we had another bruising big man in the middle. I will say this, Devin Williams will be a 1st team Big 12 selection before he graduates. Lot of talent and size from that kid. Very impressed with his poise for being just a Freshman. Let’s hope that wild assumption holds true. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country road may take you.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your optimism. Did not get to watch the game but followed it on the internet. I hope they can improve.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you didn't get to watch the game - I don't think you can appreciate how much better this team looked over last season. They played as a team (much of the time) and were playing hard, though not always effectively. Not the greatest effort - but I saw a much better team on the floor.

I agree with all of DIEHARD's points above, but I think he left out one key statistic that helps explain for me the final score and outcome..... FREETHROWS. Once again, WVU left a dozen points on the court unclaimed as they could not drop some critical FT in the 2nd half. WVU was 21 of 33 from the line meaning 12 potential points were squandered. They lost by 5. Didn't need to hit all 12 - but had they just made half of what missed (6pts.) the game could have turned. That would represent 81% shooting (respectable) compared to the anemic 63.6% they actually acheived.

Maybe a little less time practicing the dunks and 3 pointers and little more attention to the basics. Still, I think this a young team and they have not had much time together to figure out how to play together. I think by the time we move into January and start Big 12 play - I expect a better overall showing than last season's measly 6-12 result.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I meant to point out one more thing - WV fouls (28 total). WVU began fouling early and they fouled often. Tech didn't fare much better with 25 total fouls. But Tech did fare better from the line - hitting 30 of their 38 attempts for 78.9% shooting day. Our 21 FT points to their 30 pts. - that is a 9 point advantage from the free throw line for the Hokies. Just saying.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too am hoping for a better product on the court. I agree with DBAR, make the darn free throws. If you look at Huggins teams historically tho, free throw shooting has not been the strong facet of the game. I read a book many years ago called "Choke", it was written by a WVU graduate, that somewhat explained the mindset of a player being the most important aspect. Foul shooting is just a player, a ball and a basket, the best foul shooter seem to be capable of focusing on just those three things.