• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 89 Fairmont State 70

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia opened its basketball season with an exhibition against Fairmont State. FSU is coached by Jarrod Calhoun and Joe Mazulla both ex-Mountaineers. The game went according to plan with WV exercising its size, strength, and speed against the Division II squad. The Mounties were led by Eron Harris with 30 points followed by freshman Nathan Adrian with 21 points. The starting lineup was missing Terry Henderson with shin inflammation so Huggins used Harris, Adrian, Devin Williams, Noreen, and Staton. Williams had 14 rebounds while Gary Browne came off the bench to score 18 points. The bright spot seemed to be WV's perimeter shooting as it went 12-27 behind the arc. The areas of weakness appeared on the defensive end of the floor along with free throw shooting where WV made only 37-54 tries.

In conclusion, this looks like an interesting ball club that will depend heavily on perimeter shooting and guard play. I suspect we will use alot of 3 guard sets and don't be surprised to see some 4 guard sets. This will be a team uncharacteristic of any Huggins team you will have seen. He may mold them into something different but for now they are dependent on the long ball. Next up: The season opener Friday night against a tough Mt. St. Mary's team returning 4 of 5 starters off an 18-14 season. Have a great day Mountaineer fans and a better tomorrow!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fairmont St had 5 guys foul out, and they were only down by 10-11 points late in the game.

I know WVU was without Henderson and Dibo… but… come on…

Tons of fouls on FSU. WVU did a better job. I think the changes made in defensive foul rules are going to be interesting for everyone… players… coaches… and fans.

It was obvious last year that Big 12 officials called a tighter game than the BE. I think the move is well intended… basketball was not meant to be a physical game of grabbing, pushing and slapping to get an advantage. Those actions were defined as fouls.

But, it will try your patience when enforced… breaks in action… foul shots. The game won't have the same flow for awhile.