• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: OKLAHOMA 70 WVU 68

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU falls just a little bit short against the Sooners today but the effort cannot be faulted. The Mountaineers never gave up and fought to the bitter end in a contest that neither team could hold a lead. OU goes up 7-0 to start the game and then WV scores 5 points in 16 seconds. Then it was WV up by 5 points before OU made it 34-34 at the half. The 2nd half was much like the 1st half as OU goes up 39-34 2:16 into the half. Then WV cranked up the press and held OU scoreless for over 3 minutes while the Mountaineers went on a 11-0 run to take a 48-41 lead.Then OU fights back to take a 65-58 lead with 4:32 left in the contest to only see WV come back to tie the game at 68-68 on 2 Holton free throws. Ironically. OU wins the game on tip in where Spangler pushed Holton in the back to let Lattin tip in the winning basket. Earlier in the game, OU had a 4 point play on the same push in the back by Nathan Adrian.

The stats were an interesting part of this game. WV shoots 43.9% from the field for the game but it was the 16 turnovers, the 13-22 from the free throw line, and giving up 13 offensive rebounds to OU that did in the Mountaineers. Paige leads the way with 18 and Macon had 9 points to lead WV. All American Buddy Hield was kept in check with 17 points after coming in averaging 26 per game.

So, this week WV beats #1 and loses to #2 by 2 points. In my mind, this has not been a bad week. I seriously doubt WV dropping in the polls and their is a chance that they move up. But I have to say, this team is getting better. If Paige, Phillips and Ahmad get better offensively, especially their decision making, this team is gonna be a REALLY REALLY tough squad to beat. The defense is unbelievable. It was down right nasty on OU in the 2nd half after WV got down 5 points. I don't think college basketball has ever seen this type of play perfected so well. You have to have 10-11 guys to do it so I think that is why you don't see more of it. VCU and Shaka Smart used this style of defense but not to the perfection WV does. It is an exciting brand of basketball to watch. In all of my years associated with the game, I have never seen 10-11 guys give so much effort in 40 minutes. We will see how the League turns out, but I think WV has a good chance to win the Big 12. Baylor, OU and Kansas will be WV's biggest challenges. Can't wait to get OU back in Morgantown and throw a little home cookin back at 'em. Didn't like a couple of the calls in that game yesterday because it prevented us from taking command of the contest but that is what you deal with on the road in the Big 12. I think when this season is over, and I do believe WV wins 25 games at a minimum, we get seeded in the NCAA at a 4 or 5 seed. That is perfect to make a run at the Final Four. I like this team and this pressure will effect teams in the NCAA tourny, especially those that have not seen it. I like our chances. Have a great day Mountaineer fans and even a better tomorrow wherever your country road has taken you! Let's beat Texas on Tuesday and keep this train rolling!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a flipped switch in terms of comparing stats of the KU and OU games. Against KU, WVU shot 33% from the field and 25% from beyond the arc...yet won. Yesterday, OU goes 33% from the field and 29% on 3 pt attempts and wins.

The difference for both winning teams was taking care of business from the charity stripe.

Tough loss in a great environment. The gym was packed and it was loud.

Welcome back to relevance WVU basketball!!

As I've noted before, I believe this team will go as far as its guard play allows. Carter had a great game against KU, but struggled big time yesterday. Phillip had 4 TO's. And, Miles is in a slump.

Yet, they almost pulled off a road win over the soon to be #1 team in all the land. This was the 2nd game in a row when the team's defense executed at an elite level against a great perimeter shooting team. WVU didn't get the long rebounds...50/50 balls. Definitely a difference maker as OU made some 3's after getting possession on some of those balls.

I'm not going to bitch about the officiating because poor calls went both ways, but I will say this...if the guys in stripes are gonna call hand checks...then they also need to call offensive fouls when a player uses his off hand and forearm to push off and create space.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU falls just a little bit short against the Sooners today but the effort cannot be faulted. The Mountaineers never gave up and fought to the bitter end in a contest that neither team could hold a lead. OU goes up 7-0 to start the game and then WV scores 5 points in 16 seconds. Then it was WV up by 5 points before OU made it 34-34 at the half. The 2nd half was much like the 1st half as OU goes up 39-34 2:16 into the half. Then WV cranked up the press and held OU scoreless for over 3 minutes while the Mountaineers went on a 11-0 run to take a 48-41 lead.Then OU fights back to take a 65-58 lead with 4:32 left in the contest to only see WV come back to tie the game at 68-68 on 2 Holton free throws. Ironically. OU wins the game on tip in where Spangler pushed Holton in the back to let Lattin tip in the winning basket. Earlier in the game, OU had a 4 point play on the same push in the back by Nathan Adrian.

The stats were an interesting part of this game. WV shoots 43.9% from the field for the game but it was the 16 turnovers, the 13-22 from the free throw line, and giving up 13 offensive rebounds to OU that did in the Mountaineers. Paige leads the way with 18 and Macon had 9 points to lead WV. All American Buddy Hield was kept in check with 17 points after coming in averaging 26 per game.

So, this week WV beats #1 and loses to #2 by 2 points. In my mind, this has not been a bad week. I seriously doubt WV dropping in the polls and their is a chance that they move up. But I have to say, this team is getting better. If Paige, Phillips and Ahmad get better offensively, especially their decision making, this team is gonna be a REALLY REALLY tough squad to beat. The defense is unbelievable. It was down right nasty on OU in the 2nd half after WV got down 5 points. I don't think college basketball has ever seen this type of play perfected so well. You have to have 10-11 guys to do it so I think that is why you don't see more of it. VCU and Shaka Smart used this style of defense but not to the perfection WV does. It is an exciting brand of basketball to watch. In all of my years associated with the game, I have never seen 10-11 guys give so much effort in 40 minutes. We will see how the League turns out, but I think WV has a good chance to win the Big 12. Baylor, OU and Kansas will be WV's biggest challenges. Can't wait to get OU back in Morgantown and throw a little home cookin back at 'em. Didn't like a couple of the calls in that game yesterday because it prevented us from taking command of the contest but that is what you deal with on the road in the Big 12. I think when this season is over, and I do believe WV wins 25 games at a minimum, we get seeded in the NCAA at a 4 or 5 seed. That is perfect to make a run at the Final Four. I like this team and this pressure will effect teams in the NCAA tourny, especially those that have not seen it. I like our chances. Have a great day Mountaineer fans and even a better tomorrow wherever your country road has taken you! Let's beat Texas on Tuesday and keep this train rolling!

?? Would be shocked if they aren't rank in the top 6!..They are tied for the top spot in the league in the #1 conference...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a flipped switch in terms of comparing stats of the KU and OU games. Against KU, WVU shot 33% from the field and 25% from beyond the arc...yet won. Yesterday, OU goes 33% from the field and 29% on 3 pt attempts and wins.

The difference for both winning teams was taking care of business from the charity stripe.

Tough loss in a great environment. The gym was packed and it was loud.

Welcome back to relevance WVU basketball!!

As I've noted before, I believe this team will go as far as its guard play allows. Carter had a great game against KU, but struggled big time yesterday. Phillip had 4 TO's. And, Miles is in a slump.

Yet, they almost pulled off a road win over the soon to be #1 team in all the land. This was the 2nd game in a row when the team's defense executed at an elite level against a great perimeter shooting team. WVU didn't get the long rebounds...50/50 balls. Definitely a difference maker as OU made some 3's after getting possession on some of those balls.

I'm not going to bitch about the officiating because poor calls went both ways, but I will say this...if the guys in stripes are gonna call hand checks...then they also need to call offensive fouls when a player uses his off hand and forearm to push off and create space.

This new freedom of movement play is ridiculous! How do you create a rule or an environment that puts the best players on the bench within 5 minutes of the start of a game...they have to let the hand checks go..

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This new freedom of movement play is ridiculous! How do you create a rule or an environment that puts the best players on the bench within 5 minutes of the start of a game...they have to let the hand checks go..

When these rules first came in I thought that Huggins would be done as a coach. His defensive oriented game just caused too many fouls. Slaton, I think both of us were wanting him to retire. Instead, he has reinvented his game. Using the Press and having his guys drive to the basket to get fouls has been genius!

Without Huggs, this is a team talentwise that should be in the middle of the league at best. We may have 1 player who gets a sniff from the NBA, but we can compete with anybody. I doubt that there is any coach in college basketball who can get as much out of his players than Huggs.

I generally find the game boring with the new rules and too dependent on foul shooting, but I'm getting on the bandwagon and will go see a couple of games this year.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When these rules first came in I thought that Huggins would be done as a coach. His defensive oriented game just caused too many fouls. Slaton, I think both of us were wanting him to retire. Instead, he has reinvented his game. Using the Press and having his guys drive to the basket to get fouls has been genius!

Without Huggs, this is a team talentwise that should be in the middle of the league at best. We may have 1 player who gets a sniff from the NBA, but we can compete with anybody. I doubt that there is any coach in college basketball who can get as much out of his players than Huggs.

I generally find the game boring with the new rules and too dependent on foul shooting, but I'm getting on the bandwagon and will go see a couple of games this year.

I think when I was bashing Huggins it probably had more to do with him getting a pass for a lot of mediocrity and running his kids out of the program and Holgorsen no matter what seemed to be under a larger microscope..and they both are pulling in the same salary..Huggins IMHO deserved the scrutiny..I am glad he seems to have taken a look in the mirror and changed "His" game up in how he relates to the kids...this team is fun to watch..I know BBW is a bit more critical of them..but I think they get better as the year goes on..don't be surprised if this team isn't a #1 seed when its all said and done....GOD I HOPE so I have a lifetime running bet with BBW that its easier to win the NCAA Basketball Championship then the Football Championship!!:thrasher:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?? Would be shocked if they aren't rank in the top 6!..They are tied for the top spot in the league in the #1 conference...

Yes I see all and know all! Ranked #6 this week!! LOL!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when I was bashing Huggins it probably had more to do with him getting a pass for a lot of mediocrity and running his kids out of the program and Holgorsen no matter what seemed to be under a larger microscope..and they both are pulling in the same salary..Huggins IMHO deserved the scrutiny..I am glad he seems to have taken a look in the mirror and changed "His" game up in how he relates to the kids...this team is fun to watch..I know BBW is a bit more critical of them..but I think they get better as the year goes on..don't be surprised if this team isn't a #1 seed when its all said and done....GOD I HOPE so I have a lifetime running bet with BBW that its easier to win the NCAA Basketball Championship then the Football Championship!!:thrasher:
Slaton, my opinion of Huggins changed during the final foul when Butler got hurt, seeing Huggins on the floor with him, really caring about the kid more than the win. I think that was a turning point for him as a man as well. I have wondered if he recruited what was his typical to that point kids, then when they got to town he was pretty hard on them about being a man, not just a ball player??????? This year holds the potential to be something special, Huggins has built a TEAM, not just a bunch of NBA kids. I am proud of this team, and am proud to have Huggins as our coach, he is a different man than the guy I called drunken Bobby a few years ago.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well... things have changed since that bet was made. WVU is no longer in the BE, and there is no more BCS.

WVU football had the easiest path to the NC... that certainly has changed. The CFP makes the path more like basketball... which we all know is more difficult...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slaton, my opinion of Huggins changed during the final foul when Butler got hurt, seeing Huggins on the floor with him, really caring about the kid more than the win. I think that was a turning point for him as a man as well. I have wondered if he recruited what was his typical to that point kids, then when they got to town he was pretty hard on them about being a man, not just a ball player??????? This year holds the potential to be something special, Huggins has built a TEAM, not just a bunch of NBA kids. I am proud of this team, and am proud to have Huggins as our coach, he is a different man than the guy I called drunken Bobby a few years ago.

I think he has NBA talent...If friggin Holden could just score from the mid range to be dangerous he has all the other tools he needs to be successful at the next level. Williams will definitely make someones roster..Paige has a shot as well..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... things have changed since that bet was made. WVU is no longer in the BE, and there is no more BCS.

WVU football had the easiest path to the NC... that certainly has changed. The CFP makes the path more like basketball... which we all know is more difficult...

:hellno::hellno::hellno:

I refuse to let you off the hook!! A cold beer is waiting for me I can taste it from here!!:hammer:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has NBA talent...If friggin Holden could just score from the mid range to be dangerous he has all the other tools he needs to be successful at the next level. Williams will definitely make someones roster..Paige has a shot as well..
If this team could shoot, theyd be unstoppable!!!!!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this team could shoot, theyd be unstoppable!!!!!

I just have to believe for the way these guys pressure it has to take some steam out of the legs to get a good perimeter shot off by the second half..

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Poppy and Slaton. Huggins showed a different side when Butler got hurt but I couldn't understand why others were giving Huggins a pass for his coaching (from a Hall of Fame coach), while every little thing about Dana was scrutinized to the nth degree.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Poppy and Slaton. Huggins showed a different side when Butler got hurt but I couldn't understand why others were giving Huggins a pass for his coaching (from a Hall of Fame coach), while every little thing about Dana was scrutinized to the nth degree.

Is that an example of a double standard?

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that an example of a double standard?
I thought it was.

Do you think I should go see a doctor? Will I start to agree to disagree with myself? Oh God, help me.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my case, Mad, I am willing to give the hall of famer more leeway because he has proved himself in the past, and I could see what Huggins was trying to do on the court, yes he made mistakes in recruiting, but his gameplan was sound. Holgorsen is new and unproven, has done a great job recruiting, but I just can not see what he is trying to do on the field, I scratch my head with play calling, in game decisions, and his disconnect from all but the offense during games.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my case, Mad, I am willing to give the hall of famer more leeway because he has proved himself in the past, and I could see what Huggins was trying to do on the court, yes he made mistakes in recruiting, but his gameplan was sound. Holgorsen is new and unproven, has done a great job recruiting, but I just can not see what he is trying to do on the field, I scratch my head with play calling, in game decisions, and his disconnect from all but the offense during games.

Candidly, if my background was coming up through the ranks as an OC and its my offense that is being played on the field I definitely would focus more of my attention there.. I would make sure I made good coaching hires to manage the other phases of the game.. those coaches aren't making chicken scratch either! I think he should be in a position on game day to decide what to do in special situations when the game is on the line...But for the majority he has to trust his staff who has spent countless hours preparing for a game to make good decisions and not cause confusion on the sidelines by second guessing..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone get to read this article?

What was I saying about a double standard?

Julian Miller recalls his time with Rodriguez, Stewart, and Holgorsen

Now coach Stew may not go down in history as one of the greatest coaches of all time, but in my book he should go down as one of the greatest leaders of men. I say that because during his tenure as head coach he was more of a leader and disciplinary than he was a guy who focused on X’s and O’s.

But what I admired of Coach Stew was that he allowed his coaches to coach and his players to play, all while adhering to his many philosophies that made him and his coaching style unique.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Candidly, if my background was coming up through the ranks as an OC and its my offense that is being played on the field I definitely would focus more of my attention there.. I would make sure I made good coaching hires to manage the other phases of the game.. those coaches aren't making chicken scratch either! I think he should be in a position on game day to decide what to do in special situations when the game is on the line...But for the majority he has to trust his staff who has spent countless hours preparing for a game to make good decisions and not cause confusion on the sidelines by second guessing..
The HC has to be connected to the game in all phases of the game, most HCs are talking to ALL their asst coaches during the game, pointing out things to players who made mistakes, managing the big picture of the game is only a part of it. Did you see Graham in our bowl game? He was interested and "coaching his coaches" during the game. I get that offense is his "forte" but the offense has suffered too. I am eager to see what this coming season brings with an OC on board, hopefully we will see good things. Holgorsen has made strides as a HC, but still has a long way to go to be mentioned with even journeyman HCs. I am glad that Holgorsen stepped up to the plate and got rid of his buddy Efore, IMO he was a cancer on the whole team.