• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The coaching debacle that is Herm Edwards

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AD was his agent at one point.

That makes the story even more bizarre.

The agent is now an AD. That speaks volumes of his ability to be an agent.

Frank Kush is tossin' and turnin' as I type.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Any father in the country would love for his son to play for him. This dude is going to kill it in the family home similar to how the Bobby Bowdens, Mack Browns, Sabans, etc of the college football world do.

His staff is pretty decent, too. Napier is the coach in waiting, and he'll learn a lot from Herm.

I'm a father and I wouldn't. I mean, I'm sure he would be better than many, don't get me wrong. But if we are talking about the kind of recruits that can go almost anywhere they want, then no.

They showed parts of his press conference on local news, it was bad.

Why is Napier in waiting? ASU isn't his first gig. I know he got a promotion coming to ASU, but he's been around.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the concept they are trying is intriguing. Especially when you put it this way.

Herm Edwards hire will define Ray Anderson's tenure as ASU AD

“We’re changing into a differentiated model,” ASU President Michael Crow said via teleconference on Monday. “We’re not happy with the way this model is working at other schools. We’re not happy with the way the model has worked over many coach changes here in our case at ASU.”

Anderson does not have a Phil Knight-level donor to fix his problems. He does not have USC’s tradition or Stanford’s academics to lure football recruits. His office is not anchored in the elite recruiting soil of California, Texas or Florida, and Crow was not interested in the same old pattern of recycling college coaches.

In order to change Sun Devil football’s culture — a culture that has produced no major bowl appearances in 20 years — there had to be a paradigm shift. He had to think outside the box.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the concept they are trying is intriguing. Especially when you put it this way.

“We’re changing into a differentiated model,” ASU President Michael Crow said via teleconference on Monday. “We’re not happy with the way this model is working at other schools. We’re not happy with the way the model has worked over many coach changes here in our case at ASU.”

Anderson does not have a Phil Knight-level donor to fix his problems. He does not have USC’s tradition or Stanford’s academics to lure football recruits. His office is not anchored in the elite recruiting soil of California, Texas or Florida, and Crow was not interested in the same old pattern of recycling college coaches.

In order to change Sun Devil football’s culture — a culture that has produced no major bowl appearances in 20 years — there had to be a paradigm shift. He had to think outside the box.

And there you have it. ASU's model hasn't worked in 20 something years, so it's time to change it up. there is no reason whatsoever why ASU can't be a top 10-15 program in the country consistently every year. Their facilities are very nice, the support is there, they have money and Tempe is awesome! Sure, their in state talent is poor, but programs like OU and Bama make it work and have to rely on talent outside their state in order to win. Then again, both programs also have outstanding coaches. Maybe this is the hire that turns the corner for ASU.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they get Herm on the cheap?

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody know why they selected him?

It doesn't make any sense to me. Usually, I can find some angle that somebody might
be thinking, but for the life of me, I can't find any reason why ASU would have settled
on him.
The current AD was his agent when he was a player and coach

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like a lot of silicon valley gobbleygook

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buck up Devil fans...could be worse. You could have ended up with Reggie Jackson

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see, I am skeptical to say the least.

I am to I just don’t get this hire, I don’t see him getting 8 wins a season

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The situation is interesting and in theory it could work. For it to work you need to have top notch OC's and DC's. Does ASU have that?

Guys, Edwards didn't even know what ASU's mascot was, and instead of recruiting right now, which he is one thing people are thinking he will do well in, he is finishing out his contract with ESPN....................

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is an actual exchange that happens:

Herm Edwards: "Is that a girl's jersey?"
ASU employee: "No...This is a game jersey"
Herm: "This is a GAME JERSEY?!?!?

Herm continues to be baffled by the fabric of a modern game jersey.....

This hiring is... confusing, to say the very least.

He's really a poor football coach, and has not done it for a long time.

This exchange is hilarious, but it also show how out of touch he is with the modern game. The game of football has passed him by, and he's going to get circles run around him.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This hiring is... confusing, to say the very least.

He's really a poor football coach, and has not done it for a long time.

This exchange is hilarious, but it also show how out of touch he is with the modern game. The game of football has passed him by, and he's going to get circles run around him.
That's my point. Even as a fan, I'm aware of the jersey improvements that have happened in the last 15-20 years. How can you watch football and not notice this:
635874969188019219-UM-101197-CHARLESWOODSON-DP.JPG

Looks drastically different than this:
jabrill-peppers-michigan-getty-ftr-12816_1h0u2trcfeyi314yswv1wolofu.jpg

He's been an ESPN commentator all these years but has he actually been watching games? What has he been doing? This is honestly one of the most perplexing coaching hires I've ever seen. Pick any major coordinator from any major school and it's a drastic improvement over Edwards.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://nypost.com/2017/12/15/arizona-states-weird-herm-edwards-deal-is-already-a-mess/

If Arizona State choosing ex-Jets coach Herm Edwards to lead its program wasn’t weird enough, the details of the partnership were just strange.

Edwards, the ex-ESPN analyst who hasn’t coached anywhere since 2008 and not in college since 1989, is officially the head coach for the Sun Devils, but the plan was for him to take on more of a general manager/CEO role in a more NFL-esque power structure. Arizona State called it a “new leadership model.”

That plan was put in place in part to give offensive coordinator Billy Napier and defensive coordinator Phil Bennett more responsibility — and to keep them on staff despite firing former head coach Todd Graham.

The plan has already backfired.

Bennett announced Tuesday he will leave the program for “personal reasons” after Arizona State plays in the Sun Bowl on Dec. 29. Napier is also leaving, after accepting the head coaching job at Louisiana-Lafayette, Football Scoop reported Friday.

Napier was promoted to associate head coach when Edwards was hired. He came to Arizona State before this season after spending four years as the wide receivers coach at Alabama. Bennett joined the program before this season after being part of disgraced coach Art Briles’ staff at Baylor.

Napier was promoted to associate head coach when Edwards was hired. He came to Arizona State before this season after spending four years as the wide receivers coach at Alabama. Bennett joined the program before this season after being part of disgraced coach Art Briles’ staff at Baylor.

Now Edwards, who was announced as Arizona State’s coach Dec. 4 but continued to work for ESPN in Bristol, Conn., through Dec. 8, has no coordinators and college football’s new early signing period for recruits is five days away (Dec. 20-22). The Sun Devils currently have 11 commitments and the No. 70 class in the country (No. 10 in the Pac-12), according to the 247Sports composite rankings.

Four players have de-committed from the school since Graham was fired on Nov. 25, including three since Edwards was hired. One of them was offensive tackle Jarrett Patterson, who was the lone four-star player committed in Arizona State’s 2018 class. The Sun Devils have not added any 2018 commitments since Edwards was hired.

The Sun Devils went 7-5 this season.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the asu AD job will soon be available.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He reminds me off Carroll when he was hired at USC. Energetic and passionate.