• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 'Big Red Rivalry'

salty

Sooner 4 Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Has there ever been a bigger spectacle in sports than the games involving Oklahoma and Nebraska back in the day? I hope it returns someday. I find myself rooting for Nebraska when they're not playin' OU and that used to never happen.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aslong as both schools do their part by winning their divisions it will revive... Oklahoma is the 90's nebraska in the 00's has kinda killed it, but hopefully it will come back. If nebraska goes big Ten I would really like for OU-Neb to be a set non-con game every year but with schedules being made in advance it probly wouldnt start until 8 years after the switch which would kinda kill it anyway... so hopefully the big xii gets a network or better tv contract, because honestly the only the big ten has to offer is the network.... and academic prestige

salty

Sooner 4 Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Aslong as both schools do their part by winning their divisions it will revive... Oklahoma is the 90's nebraska in the 00's has kinda killed it, but hopefully it will come back. If nebraska goes big Ten I would really like for OU-Neb to be a set non-con game every year but with schedules being made in advance it probly wouldnt start until 8 years after the switch which would kinda kill it anyway... so hopefully the big xii gets a network or better tv contract, because honestly the only the big ten has to offer is the network.... and academic prestige

NU had to have known this when they bolted.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska didn't know when it "bolted" if their still would be a big XII in 5 years.......

As a traditionalist I'm going to miss NU-OU....... But I realize that the rivarly has been dead for atleast 15 years now, with one shining moment in that time span(00)......

And to think that in 8 years- we could start it back up- I wonder what the point is. I enjoy playing the tennessee, va tech, ucla, usc etc etc.......it would be nice to add OU in that mix, but I don't think it would be neccassary to add OU every year.

Imagine the story line when we meet for the playoff champioinship in 2019.......

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great rivalry. Totally gay to have stopped it.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska-Oklahoma was the rivalry in the Big 8, but before Nebraska was ever relevant it was always, and always will be Oklahoma-Texas.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say we stayed relevant.. :L

but we was relevant in college football almost from the beginning.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was Nebraska's first NC again? 1971, you say. Oh hell OU had 3 by then. Does 16 losses in a row to OU mean anything to Nebraska fans? It should, its in the record books.

Also in the record books is Bob Devaney, head coach of Nebraska 1962-1972. Took a losing team and immediately became a winning team for the next 40 seasons.
If we are talking about Nebraska's relevance try being the winning-est team during this period with Oklahoma coming in at an honorable 16th place.

Win perentages 1962 -1972

Really with both teams having a storied history as they do why is it necessary to bash one to advance the other?

I grew up with Oklahoma vs. Nebraska being the biggest game of the season. I respect what Oklahoma did and love what Nebraska did. Neither one needed the other to be relevant. Football was just lucky enough to have these storied programs in the same conference to see them battle it out every year.

Then came Osborne. he may have not done as well against Switzer (5-12) but did have a career 13-13 against Oklahoma.

I miss the Novemeber match up but I know it is history and look forward to any oppurtunity in the future to reminisce this history in future match ups.

Go Big RedS

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also in the record books is Bob Devaney, head coach of Nebraska 1962-1972. Took a losing team and immediately became a winning team for the next 40 seasons.
If we are talking about Nebraska's relevance try being the winning-est team during this period with Oklahoma coming in at an honorable 16th place.

Win perentages 1962 -1972

Really with both teams having a storied history as they do why is it necessary to bash one to advance the other?

Could it be because football started before Devaney. You picked 1962-72. Now lets look at it before then, say when Bud was coach at OU...47 straight mean anything?