• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pardon my intrusion, but know that I am a Tennessee alumnus and fan, not an S-E-C chanter, and have been blessed with the privlege of being a Buckeye for a day during a sports fan enlightenment adventure. With my credentials proffered, I humbly ask if there be any Minnie fans among the Hooplans?

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pardon my intrusion, but know that I am a Tennessee alumnus and fan, not an S-E-C chanter, and have been blessed with the privlege of being a Buckeye for a day during a sports fan enlightenment adventure. With my credentials proffered, I humbly ask if there be any Minnie fans among the Hooplans?
Think I've seen one or two but never around the CFB forums

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was as disappointed as any other Buckeye fan w/ Tricky Tressel's cover-up of the Tat 5 stuff. That begins said though I can't say I hate the guy, while his style of play was as exciting as watching paint dry he knew how to beat meeeechegan & win bowl games. And that's something Jon 'the pooper scooper' Cooper didn't/couldn't do.

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tressel was a great coach, I'll always cheer for him. Tatgate was just a bullshit witch hunt by the NCAA. People bitching about his style of play, go take a look at that thread about if the BCS used the CFP. He was a great coach that won a shit load of games. It's the W's that matter. And he beat the fuck out of tsun.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked Tressel. I really don't understand why he just didn't come clean.

Two options in my mind really. He either didn't want to destroy his chances of winning a national championship by losing star players...or he was trying to protect them.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two options in my mind really. He either didn't want to destroy his chances of winning a national championship by losing star players...or he was trying to protect them.
Look at who your backup quarterback was. Picture Bauserman with one less year under his belt. That season would have been a Shakespearean level tragedy to begin the season.

axisoftime

Drinkslinger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tressel was a great coach. Won a NC. Owned Michigan. Awesome sweater vest. His tenure didn't end gracefully, but I was very happy to see him enter the College Football Hall of Fame. Love Tressel.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Tress F'd up. He paid the price. That doesn't mean he is all of a sudden some bastard villain.
I have to disagree. Jim Tressel is a scumbag. He traded on being Mr. Clean (just look at the title of his book if you don't believe that) while acting like he was above the rules. That makes him a hypocrite.

But what he did to Ohio State was even worse. By sticking by him during the NCAA investigation of his lies (which when uncovered were guaranteed to get him a "show cause" penalty) the Buckeyes lost a shot at a national championship. Now - in fairness - no one knows what would have happened had Ohio State been eligible for post-season play in 2012, but all things being equal, they would have been in the BCS championship game against Notre Dame.

So the price was not paid simply by Jim Tressel - it was paid by the entire Buckeye program.

axisoftime

Drinkslinger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree. Jim Tressel is a scumbag. He traded on being Mr. Clean (just look at the title of his book if you don't believe that) while acting like he was above the rules. That makes him a hypocrite.

But what he did to Ohio State was even worse. By sticking by him during the NCAA investigation of his lies (which when uncovered were guaranteed to get him a "show cause" penalty) the Buckeyes lost a shot at a national championship. Now - in fairness - no one knows what would have happened had Ohio State been eligible for post-season play in 2012, but all things being equal, they would have been in the BCS championship game against Notre Dame.

So the price was not paid simply by Jim Tressel - it was paid by the entire Buckeye program.

Your opinion is biased. Ultimately you believe that if Tressel would not have cheated, Ohio State would've been there to face the Domers instead of Alabama, which would have given ND a better chance at winning another NC... or at least preventing them from getting thoroughly ass raped and mushroom stamped.

I see it as Tressel unintentionally allowed the best team to win. Musberger called it pre-game: "I was just standing next to Lacy on the field. You do NOT want to tackle this guy." Boy was he right.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love him or hate him he kick Michigan's arse every year

Norka!

High Dummies, Friends & Lovers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 764.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think what you want. Everybody has an opinion.
Hi haydav49, I am a huge Buckeye fan and for me, of course I liked him but it was painful to watch him portray himself as some sort of a 'great person' and yes, there may have been elements of a 'witch hunt' from the NCAA directed at him but that could have been because of his false persona, his personal history before tatgate had plenty of reasons to dispel his lofty persona. His disgrace was deserved.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hi haydav49, I am a huge Buckeye fan and for me, of course I liked him but it was painful to watch him portray himself as some sort of a 'great person' and yes, there may have been elements of a 'witch hunt' from the NCAA directed at him but that could have been because of his false persona, his personal history before tatgate had plenty of reasons to dispel his lofty persona. His disgrace was deserved.
Hello Norka, I'm not saying his disgrace was not deserved. He made his bed. However, I seem to recall the media being the ones portraying JT as "The Senator". His mistakes aside, what he did for the university, the football team, and central Ohio cannot be dismissed.
On another note. I see you live in Gwinnett. I spend a couple of nights in your area every year. I attend the Blade Show in Cobb Galleria each year.

Norka!

High Dummies, Friends & Lovers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 764.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello Norka, I'm not saying his disgrace was not deserved. He made his bed. However, I seem to recall the media being the ones portraying JT as "The Senator". His mistakes aside, what he did for the university, the football team, and central Ohio cannot be dismissed.
On another note. I see you live in Gwinnett. I spend a couple of nights in your area every year. I attend the Blade Show in Cobb Galleria each year.
I hear youhaydav, the whole thing just seemed so unnecessary and looking back, most of the infractions were minor, it was the follow up lies to cover the initial crap and then KAPOW! But man what a fast recovery, how exciting is this? I mean look at teams like Texas and Florida and Oklahoma too, they all kept or are keeping mediocrity in place by holding on too long to their head coaches. Tress resign/fired Meyer to the rescue, HOORAY for the Buckeyes!

And hey, I might want to take my son to the blade show, he has a small collection of cool knives...

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blade show sounds sick

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hear youhaydav, the whole thing just seemed so unnecessary and looking back, most of the infractions were minor, it was the follow up lies to cover the initial crap and then KAPOW! But man what a fast recovery, how exciting is this? I mean look at teams like Texas and Florida and Oklahoma too, they all kept or are keeping mediocrity in place by holding on too long to their head coaches. Tress resign/fired Meyer to the rescue, HOORAY for the Buckeyes!

And hey, I might want to take my son to the blade show, he has a small collection of cool knives...
I spend three days there. It's about 120,000 square feet. More than 75% is knives or knife making supplies. Old, new, factory, custom. Admission for one day is $15. Best day for a single day trip would be Saturday. But they are open until 7 PM on Friday. If you like knives. It is a must attend type event.