• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Badger receivers will surprise this year....

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Toon
Jared Abbredaris

These are our two primary guys right now, obviously. Toon is a long receiver and has been working a lot with Wilson. Abbredaris is just one of those sneaky route runners who always ends up being open.

There's been a lot of talk about Mennaseh Garner. He won't be ready for the UNLV game, but when he gets back he's going to be huge.

Here's another guy that Bielima was just talking about. True freshman from Milwaukee, Fred Willis. Apparently, he might be the fastest guy on the team, and he just overtook true freshman Jordan Frederick as the go to freshman.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. Personally, I think they will be the team's biggest weakness. Toon has a tendency to shrink in the big moments, and I don't think it is that crazy to think he was most to blame in both losses last year. Abbredaris is a solid player who plays with a lot of heart, but he will never athletically dominant. There has been a lot of hype around Garner, but i've learned not to trust injured receivers.

The wide receivers will either be a source of great improvement or one of this team's biggest weaknesses. I think we'll start to find out which tomorrow.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toon was hurt for the MSU game last year, wasn't he? You could be right about them being a weakness, it makes sense. They aren't exactly loaded with NFL prospects. Losing Kendricks was a big big thing. Personally, I think Devin Smith stands to be our biggest weakness if the front 7 doesn't get pressure on the QBs.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toon was hurt for the MSU game last year, wasn't he? You could be right about them being a weakness, it makes sense. They aren't exactly loaded with NFL prospects. Losing Kendricks was a big big thing. Personally, I think Devin Smith stands to be our biggest weakness if the front 7 doesn't get pressure on the QBs.

Toon played the Michigan State game. He had missed the previous three games with injury, and he looked like he came back too early. He finished with 1 catch and 3 drops. No fewer than four drives ended because of dropped passes by Wisconsin receivers in that game, which was really the reason we lost. My fear is that will happen again at some point this year, and I really hope I am wrong.

As i've said before, I really like Devin Smith. He had a really bad game against TCU in the Rose Bowl, but I also feel like he was a bit out of practice, as he saw limited playing time during the regular season. In 2009, I thought he was our best cornerback, and I know I wasn't alone. I have faith that he'll be ready to have a great 2011. I actually am more worried about Fenelus. He is a great cornerback at preventing big gains, but he allows short passes to get completed on him a lot. Those plays add up, especially when he lets up seven on Third and 6.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so about Smith, but I'll say the same for Toon. I thought he was pretty clutch in the 09 season, and made some nice plays against tOSU last year. I think he just wasn't able to practice or play full speed enough to really be with it. That drop he had in the Rose Bowl and the false start right before that were both daggers, but I don't think that will be him at all this year.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toon played the Michigan State game. He had missed the previous three games with injury, and he looked like he came back too early. He finished with 1 catch and 3 drops. No fewer than four drives ended because of dropped passes by Wisconsin receivers in that game, which was really the reason we lost. My fear is that will happen again at some point this year, and I really hope I am wrong.

As i've said before, I really like Devin Smith. He had a really bad game against TCU in the Rose Bowl, but I also feel like he was a bit out of practice, as he saw limited playing time during the regular season. In 2009, I thought he was our best cornerback, and I know I wasn't alone. I have faith that he'll be ready to have a great 2011. I actually am more worried about Fenelus. He is a great cornerback at preventing big gains, but he allows short passes to get completed on him a lot. Those plays add up, especially when he lets up seven on Third and 6.

Two things that kill me in college football - dropped passes, and terrible special teams play. Oh, hey, look, that's what killed us in the MSU game!

And after almost losing to ASU for the SAME FREAKING REASON (Granted, we did block an extra point and THEY were the ones dropping passes, but hey).

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our special teams might be kind of badass this year. Bunch of really good backup linebackers with wheels out there.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And our kickers are always pretty good. French will become more consistent.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I came away unimpressed with your defense, and skeptical about Wilson.

aks me again in a couple games ;)

not that you asked me this time :rolleyes:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to be skeptical about with Wilson. The big miss to the tight end was the tight end's fault. The overthrow in the endzone was probably just him jacked up and excited. Everything else he did was money.... He's made those throws or Chyryst wouldn't have called it up.

The run D is going to be an issue. New coordinator, no JJ Watt, Borland looks tender...and not comfortable at middle linebacker, our tackles who are usually stout were getting pimp slapped.

It was fun watching Ball and White behind our O Line. LOL @ Ewing just missing that touchdown damnit.

Fun game. But we need to improve.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll remain skeptical about Wilson still.. that was a god awful D with no pressure, and no coverage.. it was like watching 2007 Nebraska.. :L :L :L

I'll be fairly confident in the Huskers chances if you guys show that kind of defense the next few games.. Nebraska will run over that a lot better than UNLV did

Either way though, a solid showing with some remaining questions.. much like all openers

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll remain skeptical about Wilson still.. that was a god awful D with no pressure, and no coverage.. it was like watching 2007 Nebraska.. :L :L :L

I'll be fairly confident in the Huskers chances if you guys show that kind of defense the next few games.. Nebraska will run over that a lot better than UNLV did

Either way though, a solid showing with some remaining questions.. much like all openers

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Keep in mind the defense was on the field for a long time.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toon needs to get the sand out of his vagina and stay on the damn field...

abbrederis is solid, will be a Luke Swan type receiver eventually (yes I said that just because he is white haha)

I'm really excited about Garner though...I hope he gets healthy here soon and can get some PT.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I am pumped to see Garner on the field too. I think it will take a bit for this team to gel, just like always. The D Line needs to get their shoulders low for rushing downs....they shouldn't be getting plowed around like they were.

The Line, Ball, White, and Wilson will keep the wins coming while they hash things out.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the D-line and linebackers played like absolute shit...not sure if it was the misdirection with the pistol formation or what.

Need to get it straightened out here this week, or I could see Oregon State putting some points up on us this week. Let's hope we don't see a repeat of the ASU game last year.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah I don't think it was just the misdirection. Couple things I noticed.

First, they were on the field a lot without breaks because of the offense.

Two, the d-line was actually starting to get some good pass rushes but they were getting blown away on run defense.

Borland isn't in game shape yet, and I think his shoulders were bothering him. The muscles up there are probably reacting and balling up on him, and I think he's got some anxiety as a result. Just didn't seem himself.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't catch the first half because of work, but I really noticed that we were getting destroyed especially on the edge...with missed tackes and the DEs and OLBs not sealing the edges. We just looked slow and soft overall in general. Sounds like they were getting a good push and holes between the tackles then too.

I agree on the pass defense...overall the pass rush and DBs played a good game...good pressure and the dbs kept mostly everything in front of them, limiting the UNLV to mostly check down and underneath routes.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're spot on. As a whole the run D looked pretty bad. Even Taylor, who should be a lot closer to 100% this year, looked hungover.

But you know, I thought they looked really sluggish and out of shape at the start of last season, too.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Badgers' defensive starters gave up 3 points. Just saying.

I expect it will take a little while for Taylor and Borland to get up to full speed, and for someone to emerge to replace JJ Watt.

Can you imagine how sick this team would be if he'd stayed for his senior year by the way?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would certainly be more serious about this BCS title talk if he were still out there on defense.