• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The B1G replaces the SEC as college football's most overrated conference

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ten replaces the SEC as college football's most overrated conference

Big10.png

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really pretty simple. Whoever has the coaches has the hype. For a long time, the SEC had the coaches, not so much anymore. The Big 10 now has the big name coaches. The big name coaches plus the talent the SEC has always had was a formidable force for a nice little stretch.

We will see what these coaches do in the Big 10. So far, it appears they don't have the talent throughout the league to dominate the way the SEC did. They are still in a better position than most right now for sustained overall success as a league. The money is there. The support is there from the schools. The fans are there in large numbers. The big name coaches have arrived. We will see what happens this time around.

One thing is certain, if they can't get it done from a top to bottom level with the coaching talent they currently have, the Big 10 just might be a dying conference for real this time.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add since I already started this rant. The SEC is going through the same thing the Big 12 went through a decade ago and thank god it appears it is finally coming to a close it appears. Thanks Stoops!

The Bob Stoops (or name any coach that dominates a conference) effect. Where all the teams start trying to imitate the master and inherently they will always come up short because they are prodigies not the master. When Bob Stoops first came on scene he started kicking everyones ass in the Big 12 and all the schools panicked and started copying his methods and hiring his assistant coaches as head coaches. This led to a long period of dominance by OU. The only way teams beat him was by having such a superior talent + experience advantage (Texas occasionally) or by playing a contrasting style of football (Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St).

In the SEC, if you look at the schools that have given Saban trouble over the years, they either had a talent + experience advantage (occasionally Florida, Auburn, and LSU) or they played a contrasting style of football and schematically confused him (Ole Miss and Texas A&M a time or two). This way rarely works with guys like Saban or Stoops in the long run because they tend to have consistently talented and well coached teams.

In the Big 10, right now there are multiple coaches with contrasting styles playing at a high level. This bodes well for the league. This is just like the SEC was prior to Saban running off all the best coaches who didn't want to compete with him or tried and failed too often for their programs taste. Instead of accepting Bama just had a good thing going and staying true to yourself and waiting for your best teams to occasionally knock him off.

If any of these Big 10 coaches don't solve Urban Meyer soon we just might see the same impatience take place at Big 10 schools. And that would be bad for the league IMO. Parody from your high level teams is a good thing for a league. It's only good for the fans of the school where it's happening when one team dominates. The league reputation suffers which in turn causes the dominant team to slip. They are no longer challenged enough in league games to be prepared for OOC high level teams.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add since I already started this rant. The SEC is going through the same thing the Big 12 went through a decade ago and thank god it appears it is finally coming to a close it appears. Thanks Stoops!

The Bob Stoops (or name any coach that dominates a conference) effect. Where all the teams start trying to imitate the master and inherently they will always come up short because they are prodigies not the master. When Bob Stoops first came on scene he started kicking everyones ass in the Big 12 and all the schools panicked and started copying his methods and hiring his assistant coaches as head coaches. This led to a long period of dominance by OU. The only way teams beat him was by having such a superior talent + experience advantage (Texas occasionally) or by playing a contrasting style of football (Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St).

In the SEC, if you look at the schools that have given Saban trouble over the years, they either had a talent + experience advantage (occasionally Florida, Auburn, and LSU) or they played a contrasting style of football and schematically confused him (Ole Miss and Texas A&M a time or two). This way rarely works with guys like Saban or Stoops in the long run because they tend to have consistently talented and well coached teams.

In the Big 10, right now there are multiple coaches with contrasting styles playing at a high level. This bodes well for the league. This is just like the SEC was prior to Saban running off all the best coaches who didn't want to compete with him or tried and failed too often for their programs taste. Instead of accepting Bama just had a good thing going and staying true to yourself and waiting for your best teams to occasionally knock him off.

If any of these Big 10 coaches don't solve Urban Meyer soon we just might see the same impatience take place at Big 10 schools. And that would be bad for the league IMO. Parody from your high level teams is a good thing for a league. It's only good for the fans of the school where it's happening when one team dominates. The league reputation suffers which in turn causes the dominant team to slip. They are no longer challenged enough in league games to be prepared for OOC high level teams.
I'll give ya the cliff note version. 'The B1G not only has more TV sets than the SEC, they also have a mega TV contract with ESPIN and Fox so they're going to be over represented in the polls from here on out.'

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give ya the cliff note version. 'The B1G not only has more TV sets than the SEC, they also have a mega TV contract with ESPIN and Fox so they're going to be over represented in the polls from here on out.'

I don't think it's that nefarious. ESPN has a need to see all their investments succeed. They just overhype whatever is the hot new thing at the moment. The only nefarious action by ESPN I see in big time sports is MLB. They are firmly in the tank year in and year out for a handful of MLB teams.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's that nefarious. ESPN has a need to see all their investments succeed. They just overhype whatever is the hot new thing at the moment. The only nefarious action by ESPN I see in big time sports is MLB. They are firmly in the tank year in and year out for a handful of MLB teams.
I've seen this before and I can in confidence tell you how this is going to play out. Ohio St., Penn St. Michigan and Wisconsin are going to play each other a fvckload of times over the next umpteen years. Every time two of those team meet up the games are going to be pumped up on a gazillion fvcking commercials about how two B1G powers are meeting up .. then they will flash pics of Urban, Harbaugh or who the fvck ever and those games are going to make the networks mega fvking bucks. Then you're going to read how the B1G beats up on each other because they played X amount of top ten teams ... etc, etc.. it's going to be the SEC all over again. Then you are going to watch the B1G teams get the breaks beat off them in the bowl games yet you won't hear shit about that from ESPIN because as of now the B1G is the new ESPIN love child.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when ESPIN was jacking off the SEC West? Well move on over SEC West because ESPIN has replaced you with the B1G East. Too bad for the SEC West but they just don't have the TV sets for ESPIN to suck them off anymore.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen this before and I can in confidence tell you how this is going to play out. Ohio St., Penn St. Michigan and Wisconsin are going to play each other a fvckload of times over the next umpteen years. Every time two of those team meet up the games are going to be pumped up on a gazillion fvcking commercials about how two B1G powers are meeting up .. then they will flash pics of Urban, Harbaugh or who the fvck ever and those games are going to make the networks mega fvking bucks. Then you're going to read how the B1G beats up on each other because they played X amount of top ten teams ... etc, etc.. it's going to be the SEC all over again. Then you are going to watch the B1G teams get the breaks beat off them in the bowl games yet you won't hear shit about that from ESPIN because as of now the B1G is the new ESPIN love child.

Well, the Big 10 has already lived this life. They were the SEC before the SEC was the SEC. That died circa 2006 and the SEC was born. It will be someone else in a few years when they get some big name coaches at big time programs ESPN can hype.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Big 10 has already lived this life. They were the SEC before the SEC was the SEC. That died circa 2006 and the SEC was born. It will be someone else in a few years when they get some big name coaches at big time programs ESPN can hype.
I don't see anyone replacing the B1G as an ESP1N favorite anytime soon and I'll tell ya why that is. TV sets. It's all about TV sets and don't let anyone tell ya any different. College football makes it's money from TV revenue. Unless the SEC states other than Florida and Georgia double their population it's going to be all about the B1G from here on out. Delaney may be a prick but he's not stupid. He knew exactly how many aces he was holding when it came to negotiating TV contracts. The Harbaugh hire gave him one more ace in the hole seeing how Harbaugh loves the spotlight and the press gives it to him.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also remember the Big 12 being the media darling in the late 90's and early 00's. I remember Notre Dame and Miami taking their turns when they were both independents. I remember OU, Nebraska, and Colorado from the Big 8 taking their turns. I'm not sure the ACC isn't on the cusp of getting a turn if the Big 10 doesn't work out. Or maybe the Pac 12 will finally get their chance? Who knows what narrative ESPN is going to push next. It's not like they pull it out their ass, they see a narrative begin to grow organically and decide to monetize it. :noidea:

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also remember the Big 12 being the media darling in the late 90's and early 00's. I remember Notre Dame and Miami taking their turns when they were both independents. I remember OU, Nebraska, and Colorado from the Big 8 taking their turns. I'm not sure the ACC isn't on the cusp of getting a turn if the Big 10 doesn't work out. Or maybe the Pac 12 will finally get their chance? Who knows what narrative ESPN is going to push next. It's not like they pull it out their ass, they see a narrative begin to grow organically and decide to monetize it. :noidea:
The Big 12 has a grip of TV sets with the state of Texas and after that the Big 12 has nothing. St. Louis, Houston (east Texas), and the Denver markets are gone. Nebraska was a national thing and now they're in the B1G. The Big 12 is cooked. No TV sets means your ass is done. Nobody wants you. Again its TV sets that make the market.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see anyone replacing the B1G as an ESP1N favorite anytime soon and I'll tell ya why that is. TV sets. It's all about TV sets and don't let anyone tell ya any different. College football makes it's money from TV revenue. Unless the SEC states other than Florida and Georgia double their population it's going to be all about the B1G from here on out. Delaney may be a prick but he's not stupid. He knew exactly how many aces he was holding when it came to negotiating TV contracts. The Harbaugh hire gave him one more ace in the holes seeing how Harbaugh loves the spotlight and the press gives it to him.

TV coverage isn't regional anymore. ESPN doesn't give a shit about a conferences geographical footprint as much as they are putting out a good product that is popular across the country when the hype train is coming. Hardcore fans are going to tune in regardless of what ESPN says or does because they love their team. ESPN is going after casual fans with no real allegiances.

They own all the conferences to some degree and therefore all the best content. People tune in for storylines and great teams more than geography these days. Hell, honestly it's been that way. Miami is a tiny school in southern florida but you could find their fans everywhere back when they were on top. Same with Notre Dame or whoever. ESPN just prints money by taking advantage of those programs on top.

Like I've said a million times. ESPN regularly ignores the Pac 12 as a whole. But they damn sure didn't ignore USC or Oregon when they were consistently good because it sold to hype them. And that's despite the time zones.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 has a grip of TV sets with the state of Texas and after that the Big 12 has nothing. St. Louis, Houston (east Texas), and the Denver markets are gone. Nebraska was a national thing and now they're in the B1G. The Big 12 is cooked. No TV sets means your ass is done. Nobody wants you. Again its TV sets that make the market.

You keep thinking this way. It sounds like 2010 all over again. When everybody was gonna run away from the Big 12 financially and tier 3 networks were the way of the future. Then people said fuck cable...

Now interesting storylines trump geographic TV sets again. A national approach is the smart way to do business again. Because the TV sets are shrinking for ESPN and they need all of them, not just a portion of them to stay afloat.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep thinking this way. It sounds like 2010 all over again. When everybody was gonna run away from the Big 12 financially and tier 3 networks were the way of the future. Then people said fuck cable...

Now interesting storylines trump geographic TV sets again. A national approach is the smart way to do business again. Because the TV sets are shrinking for ESPN and they need all of them, not just a portion of them to stay afloat.
I've come to the realization the PAC is pretty well fvcked. You have four states (California, Washington, Oregon and Colorado) full of emasculated liberal cucks who don't watch football. The LA market (USC) is pretty much it for that conference and now that city has not one, but two NFL teams. The only chance the PAC and the Big 12 has is a merger.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've come to the realization the PAC is pretty well fvcked. You have four states (California, Washington, Oregon and Colorado) full of emasculated liberal cucks who don't watch football. The LA market (USC) is pretty much it for that conference and now that city has not one, but two NFL teams. The only chance the PAC and the Big 12 has is a merger.

I still think all these schools jumping to conferences outside their normal geographic footprint is a long term mistake. TV money appears to be on the downswing overall soon. The Big 10 got the payday they were owed and now all the conferences have gotten a modern TV deal.

ESPN is basically the only thing keeping cable TV afloat at the moment but eventually that will end and the criminal way cable TV forced us to buy programs we don't want will be a thing of the past.

At that point, it wont really matter anymore what the total geographic foot print of a conference is anymore. Because cable TV wont be able hold us hostage anymore and force us to mass buy things we don't care about. That's the end of the conference network cash cow for ESPN and Fox. Which shows shit content 75 percent of the time but almost all of us pay for it.

When that happens, ticket sales and each schools own ability to sell their product will rule. And dead regional rivalries will be one of our greatest regrets in allowing TV dollars to destroy so many of them.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think all these schools jumping to conferences outside their normal geographic footprint is a long term mistake. TV money appears to be on the downswing overall soon. The Big 10 got the payday they were owed and now all the conferences have gotten a modern TV deal.

ESPN is basically the only thing keeping cable TV afloat at the moment but eventually that will end and the criminal way cable TV forced us to buy programs we don't want will be a thing of the past.

At that point, it wont really matter anymore what the total geographic foot print of a conference is anymore. Because cable TV wont be able hold us hostage anymore and force us to mass buy things we don't care about. That's the end of the conference network cash cow for ESPN and Fox. Which shows shit content 75 percent of the time but almost all of us pay for it.

When that happens, ticket sales and each schools own ability to sell their product will rule. And dead regional rivalries will be one of our greatest regrets in allowing TV dollars to destroy so many of them.
I hope you're right ... but until that happens you're going to start seeing articles and even post on this board about how much the B1G beats up on each other and they will use that excuse for not dropping like a rock in the polls vs a PAC and/or Big 12 team that also suffered losses in the same week.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the coaches care about another conferences TV deal and only over rank that conference? Wouldn't they want to rank their own conference members so that they could get a better contract for their own conference?