• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Athletic - 2019 ReDraft

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TA has an article out refrafting 2019, not a good look for the Kings.

Tier 5 Bubble Top/Middle of Lineup Player
13th Kaliyev (33rd)

Tier 7 Projected to Play NHL Games
39th Bjornfot (22nd)

Tier 8 Has a Chance to Play NHL Games
71st Turcotte (5th)

Yikes.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gave you my shocked face....because, im not

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is just insane to see Turcotte drop to 71 - that's a 3rd round pick - after being taken 5th and the consensus #3-5 overall at the time.

Bjornfot was gravy with the 22nd pick, I believe that came over from TO in the Muzzin deal from early 2019. He hasn't panned out either and honestly his lack of anything really is holding him back. He's like am amoeba, just...there. Nothing special about his game in any way, no differentiator.

I'd move him for another LHD prospect, maybe a change of scenery would be good. When you can't beat out Andreas Englund for the 3D spot, that speaks volumes. Englund's physicality and snarl has been a welcome addition IMO.

Begs the question however, how did a franchise that developed so many of their own homegrown kids leading up to the Cups fall this badly where they're blowing 2OA, 5OA, etc picks? What's changed, who changed, what happened?

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dont think they spot skillsets properly and believe they go by hype and luck.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly feel that it was the direction of Blake & Robitaille that caused them to whiff on the 2017-2020 drafts. Especially after how Vegas' system in 2018 made the Kings (especially) struggle to get out their own zone because of the forechecking speed that Vegas was unleashing that season. Blake directed Yannetti to increase the skill level into the pipeline, as opposed to the grinding, character guys that Lombardi was enamored with.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're saying, I really don't trust those two behind the wheel. I said that back in 2017, I'll keep saying it now. Sure Kings lore, but not good executives. It's how Gretzky was Gretzky but a horrible coach.

I think Blake's direction changed 2 years ago when he signed Dunno and traded for Arvidsson. First 3 years he went the Dumbo route. That works if you have a staff that can develop players, guess what - they haven't. We literally have 2 picks since 2015 who are NHL players (Roy, The Legend) and one was traded to get what they didn't have and didn't develop. That is a horrendous hit ratio. Roy was a 7th round pick too, he was a eh let's see what happens guy. Luckily it panned out.

I'm over the draft for character thing, sometimes you need to do that. But I also don't think you should shoot for 100% skill either. That won't work either long term for a Cup. I honestly think under Blake they do not know how to identify talent.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've been very skeptical of the direction that Blake & Co. have administered with the organization since The Coup. I'm ok with drafting skill/best player available in the 1st round, even into the 2nd some, but after that you do need guys with character, because those guys don't hit as often as the ones higher in the draft. While Kupari is decent, they could have had Miller, whom would have have been a LHD for years to come. When they drafted Turcotte, Cozens would have been the better pick.

Not that Lombardi was some genius draft expert, I think he just had a different strategy, and he also had more experience. This is Blake's first rodeo developing a team, and obviously he's had issues. I'm more worried that he's reinstated the "Good'ol Boy" network, similar to what we saw under Taylor.