• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2nd third of the season

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why are these pitchers coming up to mlb, from the reds system, so obviously unprepared?
You have some really good points Chico. The Reds have some serious problems somewhere in minors developing young pitchers.

On another of your points about over all ERA. I don't think MLB cares that much about good pitching. They know they have fans like most if not all of us on this board who love baseball. But they want to bring in those people that think baseball is boring. So they fix it so that more runs are scored. I believe that is why they let PEDs go on so long. Until they had to do something about it. Now they are doing things with the strike zone, and probably the baseball to
but what the fuck do i know?
Same here

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what we know is how the Reds development works or doesn't work.
Overall, I don't know how many signed prospects actually get people out at the top level. There seems to be no shortage of young pitchers on every team I see on TV. What interests me is that their numbers are usually quite pedestrian until they face the Reds hitters.
I can't blame that on our pitching coaches.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think we'd see Garrett make another start before being optioned to AAA. It's the right move for a kid that is regressing mechanically. When you see a pitchers mechanics speed up, it's a clear indicator of how they're handling the stress of the moment.

Successful pitchers slow the moment down and work to limit the damage. Most of the young Reds SP's haven't been able to do that.

Castillo was a mixed bag last night. A 98-100 fastball with a lot of movement, but didn't show the advertised command. But to his credit he kept working and limited the damage. That's a tough lineup to face for your MLB debut. We'll see if he can build upon that his next time out.

Now we'll see if Homer can make inroads to at least getting back to respectability. I'd expect it to be a bumpy road, but I hope it shows signs of smoothing out by season's end. A good start would be staying on the road and not back in the ditch.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of factors in play when determining where the Reds pitching has gone awry. But it definitely begs the question of which came first the chicken or the egg?

Which is more important, scouting or developing? If you're scouting poorly, then developing is an exercise in futilty.

I've posted this previously. The Reds have taken a big gamble in the type of pitching prospects they've assembled.

The Tony Cingrani model I'll call it. Typical closer/outfielder two way player that the Reds scouting projects as a MLB SP. Good fastball velocity and above average athleticism. In terms of developing a skill set they didn't possess to begin with, who's kidding who?

That doesn't let the minor league development personnel totally off the hook. Allowing pitchers to progress through the system without checking off the appropriate boxes is another problem. Tony Cingrani had video game type numbers in the minors advancing through the system throwing one quality pitch. That was never going to translate into MLB success as a SP.

If that's the template they're going to use, we need not expect more.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Welsh keeps harping on that. Signing kids who throw 99 and hoping they don't get hurt is a fool's errand ... yet it seems that's what most teams are doing. I think the other problem is that is the ONLY kind of pitchers who are out there now. The hard throwers are being taught in 6th grade and anybody who doesn't throw that hard is being sent to play 2nd base. The problem is the hard throwers are also the best athletes so the kid playing 2nd base can't throw hard and probably can't hit either.
Who ya gonna sign? Dunno, since every kid who is worth a scouting mission does the same thing so it's not like you are coming back to see the other kid in their rotation who wins 8 out of 10 with a 69 mph curveball.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty satisfied with Castillo's debut. But I was too with Garrett. We'll see what else he has on Wednesday.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reds were wishing up a flagpole hoping Garrett would solve a couple of problems without the coaching staff having to put any effort into it. Big-league hitters aren't quite that stupid and umpires won't call strikes just because a bad baseball team needs the help.

I think Garrett is going to be a pretty good pitcher but he's at least a summer away from that. But he can come to camp in March with the brains to know what he was doing wrong.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cincinnati media keep talking about how good the Reds bullpen is. I think that boat sailed over a month ago. Average at best now.
But then what do you expect when they pitch an average of 6 to 3 innings a night for 3 months.

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Homer Bailey... Just wow. What the fuck...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
train-wreck.jpg

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 18 -3 game embarrassing. The Reds looked like they didn't deserve to be on a major league field.

Wood looked like he was pissed off because Price put him out there in the ninth. and he gave up 4 runs. He might find himself in the minors real soon.

On the brighter side the Reds did win Sunday. Good game by Feldman. The offense went to sleep after the 2nd inning

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wood would need to be DFA rather than demoted.
The problem with this pitching staff is that they are currently looking for somebody who can throw a respectable 5 innings with decent results. That is usually what teams do when they are looking for a 5th starter, not somebody to lead the staff.
Not sure what they can do about that. Hoping for injured guys to turn it around is pretty much like hoping you can make it to Mars without crashing.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Finnegan can help some after he wares off the rust. Now Baily it may take awhile.

Woods performance in Saturdays game. I could be wrong, but it looked to me like he could care less. Or to his defense, He may have took it like a spring training game and was working on some pitches.

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides Scooter, Votto, and Duvall, the battling rotation has been ice cold for a couple weeks.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do we continue to wait to see if Disco is going to pitch?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to say something positive about the Reds......
I'll try again tomorrow.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I will keep watching the games in hopes of catching 4th place or beating some team that needs the win.
I feel like I just bought an expensive can of exotic food in thinking it would be really great and finding out later that it doesn't go on toast, so since it's been opened and I don't want it, it's going to spoil. Which means I got all excited about something for no good reason.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds won the Home Run Derby last night.

Looking forward to seeing Luis Castillo pitch tonight. The kid has drawn a couple hard hitting teams for his first two starts. The Nats and Brewers are 1st and 3rd in NL HR's. Like to see him command the strike zone better tonight.

The Brewers are countering with Chase Anderson. He's been on a nice roll.

I'd like to see a pitchers duel for a refreshing change.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the day of the pitchers duel is over, at least for the summer.
Hitters are going for the distance now.
Lots of strikeouts, more long fly balls.
If Cozart is back in there, do they sit Scooty or Peraza?