• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2018 Broncos: Schedule Predictions

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s that time of year! With the release of the schedule, the majority of free agents signed, and the draft behind us all combining to give a more clear idea of the direction each NFL team intends to go in 2018, I am ready to make some predictions for the Broncos in 2018. I’ll follow these up with some league-wide predictions in a later post.

The Broncos don’t draft in the top 5 very often. There was a lot of speculation they would use the pick to draft one of the highly touted QB prospects. But by standing firm and selecting Bradley Chubb with the 5th pick, the Broncos sent a message: we’re in it to win it in 2018. There will be no speculation of when the team will transition from Keenum to Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, or Allen. There will be no questions about the long term direction of the franchise. There will be no controversy at the QB position for the first time since Osweiler stepped in for Manning midway through the 2015 season.
The importance of this cannot be overstated.

This team, offense, defense, and special teams all look to be on the same page and working toward the same goals.

The Broncos have been critiqued for not addressing the offensive line, however I am of the belief they have the makings of a solid unit going forward. Moving Leary back to the left side next to Bolles makes that side of the line downright formidable. The right side remains questionable, but McGovern showed some real potential and there are ways the team can work around other weaknesses if they become a problem. If the right side can be serviceable even, the line will be remarkably better than 2017. And let’s not forget, this is a unit that was solid in run blocking in 2017, despite the offense as a whole being so putrid.

With those changes to the line and the single most important position on the team address in the Keenum signing, the Broncos look to put behind them the days in inept and impotent offense. Initially I was not excited by the Keenum signing, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Even while I was skeptical I could not deny the immense improvement Keenum represented over the three-headed drive killing monster of Siemian-Lynch-Osweiler.

While I do not expect an explosive offense on the level of the 2012-2014 unit, I do expect the offense to be unrecognizable compared to last year’s. I think it’ll show flashes of explosiveness but for the most part will be an efficient unit reminiscent of the 2005 offense.

And that defense? It looks like it’s going to be scary good.
So with these factors in mind, here’s what I consider a best case scenario for the Broncos in 2018.

Week 1: Broncos vs Seahawks: win, 17-9. While I consider the Seahawks a team on the decline, even the most optimistic of fans knows week 1 is often a crapshoot. The Broncos defense should be able to control this one but the offense will have to work through some growing pains and challenges. They’ll do just enough while the defense stifles a potential game tying drive. Broncos 1-0.

Week 2: Broncos vs Raiders: win, 31-13. The offense gets it going against a Raiders team that looks to be in the midst of a pretty significant makeover. Gruden’s return has been much touted but that offense will be extremely complex and to expect them to go into Denver and square off against the Broncos defense in week 2 is asking a lot. The Broncos capitalize on early mistakes and run away with this one. Broncos 2-0.

Week 3: Broncos @ Ravens: loss, 17-27. This is less an endorsement on the Ravens than it is an acknowledgment the Broncos just don’t play the Ravens well on the road. Especially in the first road game of the season. Look for this loss to trigger a narrative about how similar this start is to the 2017 season: gut out a week 1 win, win big in week 2, and lose the first road game of the year in week 3. (That’s a bonus prediction. That’s what I do: I don’t just predict wins and losses but also how sports media and fans will react!) Broncos 2-1.

Week 4: Broncos vs Chiefs: win, 28-17. The Chiefs have enjoyed a 5 game win streak over the Broncos, but they will be breaking in a new QB. Mahommes got his first start in week 17 in Denver last season and his performance has Chiefs fans excited. Playing the Broncos in Denver early in the season on MNF is a (forgive me) horse of a different color. The Broncos correct course, both on the season and their all-time series with the Chiefs. Broncos 3-1.

Week 5: Broncos @ Jets: win, 28-7. Jets’ top pick Sam Darnold may well revive that franchise. Just not in week 5 of the 2018 season. Darnold’s senior year gave him the reputation of being turnover prone and that will likely continue, at least into his rookie season. The Broncos should be able to force a few mistakes and cash them in for points on the score board en route to a decisive win. Broncos 4-1.

Week 6: Broncos vs Rams: loss, 21-24. Wade Philips return to Denver will be much discussed, especially after his defense puts the lid on the Broncos offense. The Rams were already pretty good on both sides of the ball, but adding Peters and Talib to their secondary makes them scary good. Despite the Broncos being at home, the Rams are just further along in their resurgence. Broncos 4-2.

Week 7: Broncos @ Cardinals: win, 29-10. The Cardinals have some depth at QB with Bradford, Glennon, and Rosen. I’m guessing by week 7 Bradford will have suffered an injury, setting up the Broncos to tee off on another rookie QB on TNF. The Cardinals defense will keep in close, but the Broncos should be able to capitalize on mistakes and pull away late. Broncos 5-2.

Week 8: Broncos @ Chiefs: loss, 16-24. It’s tough to go into Kansas City and win no matter how you slice it. To do it as the second in back to back road trips that take you in two different directions is a tough out. The Chiefs are able to do just enough. Broncos 5-3.
Week 9: Broncos vs Texans: win, 24-21. This one looks like a grinder. While I don’t expect Texans QB Watson to pick up where he left off before his injury, the Texans should be a capable team on both sides of the ball. Capable, but not great. The defense holds and the offense does just enough. Broncos 6-3.

Week 10: Bye.

Week 11: Broncos @ Chargers: loss, 21-31. By this point in the season I expect a lot of buzz around both the Broncos and the Chargers. Catching the Chargers after a bye is a break but the Chargers are hitting on all cylinders. Even though the Chargers small stadium will be half full of Broncos fans, the team itself will still benefit from not having to travel. Plus the Chargers always play the Broncos tight. Broncos 6-4.

Week 12: Broncos vs Steelers: win, 17-14. The Broncos are a defense oriented team, and at some point along the way they are going to get into a slobber-knocking dogfight. Pencil in this one with the Steelers as a good candidate for that one. Maybe it’ll even snow just to make it more epic. Broncos edge them in a close, hard fought win. Broncos 7-4.

Week 13: Broncos @ Bengals: win, 34-17. And then just a week later the Broncos offense looks like a juggernaut on the road, albeit against a lesser team. The Broncos are just the better team across the board and it’ll show. Defense keeps the lid on the Bengals offense while the offense has one of its better dates thus far in the season as the Broncos double up the Bengals on the scoreboard. Broncos 8-4.

Week 14: Broncos @ 49ers: loss, 27-35. Once again, the Broncos make back to back road games in opposite directions. The 49ers are currently a dark horse to contend for the NFC West, but by week 14 they may be considered contenders for a deep playoff run as well. On the road and against a very good opponent, the Broncos suffer a late season setback. Broncos 8-5.

Week 15: Broncos vs Browns: win, 42-10. Getting the Browns just after a late season loss will be just what the doctor orders for this team. The Broncos will have had a few decisive wins and some hard fought ones by now, but they are going to straight up run away with this one. And yet another rookie QB in Mayfield chalks it up to the learning process. Broncos 9-5.

Week 16: Broncos @ Raiders: win, 28-17. This game is Christmas Eve, a Monday this year. The previous week’s game is on a Saturday, setting the Broncos up with a nice break in between. That’s vital because the Broncos will come into this one in a “win and in” scenario and the Raiders would love to at least delay the Broncos from punching their playoff ticket. They’ll give their best effort, but the Broncos control the pace and with a win return to the playoffs. Broncos 10-5.

Week 17: Broncos vs Chargers: win, 27-13. Both teams will enter this game locked into their respective playoff seeds, so expect the starters to play only in the first half. The Broncos jump out to a lead and put it in cruise control in the second half as the regular season comes to a close. Broncos 11-5.

The Broncos 2018 record of 11-5 will be good enough for a wildcard spot in the playoffs, as the Broncos finish 2nd behind the Chargers in the AFC West. The defense will be top 5 across the board, most importantly 3rd or 4th in scoring. The offense will hover around top 10, and rank about 6th or 7th in scoring. The Broncos will score 407 and surrender 289 points, averages of 25.4 and 18.1 PPG respectively. Look for Keenum to have an efficient year, hitting about 3,600 passing yards, 23 TDs and 10 INT. This will be wild improvement over last year. Freeman and Booker combine for about 1,600 rushing yards, perhaps with Booker leading in yards gained but Freeman having more rushing TDs.

While an 11-5 record, a top flight defense and solid offense will all combine for a dangerous team, I expect the Broncos will remain an afterthought as the playoffs start, overshadowed by the Chargers and Patriots in the AFC and a murderer’s row of elite teams in the NFC playoff slate.

More on that soon enough. For now I welcome your thoughts on these predictions for the 2018 Broncos.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For reference, my predictions for the AFC West standings are:

1: Los Angeles Chargers: 13-3
2: Denver Broncos: 11-5
3: Kansas City Chiefs: 7-9
4: Oakland Raiders: 4-12

A brief W-L and rationale for each of these teams is coming.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 15 the Broncos could be in some real trouble.

giphy (1).gif

giphy (2).gif

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles Chargers:

vs Chiefs W
at Bills W
at Rams L
vs 49ers W
vs Raiders W
at Browns W
vs Titans W
bye
at Seahawks W
at Raiders W
vs Broncos W
vs Cardinals W
at Steelers L
vs Bengals W
at Chiefs W
vs Ravens W
at Broncos L

Rationale: The Chargers run defense ranked at the bottom of the league in yards per attempt and just 31st in overall yards. Despite this the defense was 4th in scoring. And they got better on that side of the ball in the off season. If they can shore up that run defense, even bringing it to the middle of the pack, this will be an elite defense. On the other side of the ball the Chargers still have the best QB in the AFC West. In Lynn's second year with the team, look for him to get more from a unit that was inconsistent and underperformed in 2017. It's a short window they have: a top tier defense coupled with Rivers in the twilight of his career. This is a talented team that is going to play with a sense of urgency.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kansas City Chiefs:

at Chargers L
at Steelers L
vs 49ers L
at Broncos L
vs Jaguars W
at Patriots L
vs Bengals W
vs Broncos W
at Browns W
vs Cardinals W
at Rams L
bye
at Raiders L
vs Ravens W
vs Chargers L
at Seahawks L
vs Raiders W

Rationale: The transition from Alex Smith to Pat Mahommes will not be without its setbacks. While Mahommes may have a much higher ceiling he also has a far lower floor than Smith and I expect it will show at points this year. The Chiefs have some great pieces on that offense in the skill positions but RBs like Hunt don't always follow up a stellar rookie season with as successful a run in their second year. Additionally the Chiefs defense is not good enough to carry them through the offensive growing pains while Mahommes cuts his teeth. This is still a pretty good team, but this is likely a down year for them.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oakland Raiders:

vs Rams L
at Broncos L
at Dolphins W
vs Browns W
at Chargers L
vs Seahawks L
bye
vs Colts L
at 49ers L
vs Chargers L
at Cardinals L
at Ravens L
vs Chiefs W
vs Steelers L
at Bengals W
vs Broncos L
at Chiefs L

Rationale: I am just not a believer. The Raiders will be transitioning into a coaching regime that has spent years away from the game. The narrative that he's seen so many other teams' approaches is a non-starter. Every team sees other teams' approaches. Gruden also brings a very complext offense with him and it's going to be tough for the Raiders to adjust to it in one off season. Couple that with some questionable O-line talent and a defense that is not quite ready for prime time and you've got the makings of a Raiders team that looks as bad as the smoldering crater we saw after Gruden dismantled the Raiders when he led the Buccaneers to a SB win over them.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait to read this thread soon. Have a soccer party to get ready for but tomorrow this is on my list of things to get done!

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed the write ups and the time you put into this. I also disagree with a couple of your assessments. I think the Raiders bounce back and are in contention. Somewhere around 8-8 or 9-7. KC will probably be around that area as well. As a matter of fact, I think all 4 AFC West teams will finish between 7-9 and 10-6.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed the write ups and the time you put into this. I also disagree with a couple of your assessments. I think the Raiders bounce back and are in contention. Somewhere around 8-8 or 9-7. KC will probably be around that area as well. As a matter of fact, I think all 4 AFC West teams will finish between 7-9 and 10-6.

A tight shot group like that is definitely a possibility. The way I do these I actually start with the leage wide predictions first then do the detailed prediction for the Broncos. The entire thing went through several iterations before I kept coming back to marks similar to the ones I published. I definitely hope I’m wrong about the Chargers but I have a bad feeling they’re going to rip the AFC a new one.

At least in the regular season.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A tight shot group like that is definitely a possibility. The way I do these I actually start with the leage wide predictions first then do the detailed prediction for the Broncos. The entire thing went through several iterations before I kept coming back to marks similar to the ones I published. I definitely hope I’m wrong about the Chargers but I have a bad feeling they’re going to rip the AFC a new one.

At least in the regular season.
I think the Chargers tend to underachieve most seasons. They lose a few very close games that they should have easily won, then kind of fall out of the playoff picture quietly because of it. I really think that Gruden will turn the Raiders around, also. They were a Super Bowl contender 2 years ago before Carr got hurt. They added some weapons and should be better. Not sure what to think about us, honestly. It all depends on which Case Keenum shows up. I don't expect it to be the guy who played for the Vikings last year, but I also don't expect it to be the journeyman from the couple years leading up to that. He will be somewhere in the middle and I really hope he is closer to last year's version than the years past.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Chargers tend to underachieve most seasons. They lose a few very close games that they should have easily won, then kind of fall out of the playoff picture quietly because of it. I really think that Gruden will turn the Raiders around, also. They were a Super Bowl contender 2 years ago before Carr got hurt. They added some weapons and should be better. Not sure what to think about us, honestly. It all depends on which Case Keenum shows up. I don't expect it to be the guy who played for the Vikings last year, but I also don't expect it to be the journeyman from the couple years leading up to that. He will be somewhere in the middle and I really hope he is closer to last year's version than the years past.

I do think the Raiders will have heir moments under Gruden. I’m not expecting a perennial contender but a team that is respectable every year with some good years interspersed in there. I think it’ll take a transitional year to get there though. They seem to have drafted for the long haul, though some of those picks may be forced into starting this season. That’s not optimal.

Now I do disagree with you on the 2016 Raiders. That team was a good team but lacked the defense to be considered a super bowl contender. In the playoffs that defense let the Texans, a team with a worse offense than last year’s Broncos, ring ‘em for 27 points.

You’re right about the Chargers but let’s not forget this is a loaded team with some elite talent on both sides of the ball. And every once in a while they put it together for some good seasons. They haven’t had a 10+ win season since 2009’s 13-3 finish and I think they’re due.

As for the Broncos I always put together best case scenario predictions. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were 8-8 or 9-7. I do think they’ll be improved, either way.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s that time of year! With the release of the schedule, the majority of free agents signed, and the draft behind us all combining to give a more clear idea of the direction each NFL team intends to go in 2018, I am ready to make some predictions for the Broncos in 2018. I’ll follow these up with some league-wide predictions in a later post.

The Broncos don’t draft in the top 5 very often. There was a lot of speculation they would use the pick to draft one of the highly touted QB prospects. But by standing firm and selecting Bradley Chubb with the 5th pick, the Broncos sent a message: we’re in it to win it in 2018. There will be no speculation of when the team will transition from Keenum to Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, or Allen. There will be no questions about the long term direction of the franchise. There will be no controversy at the QB position for the first time since Osweiler stepped in for Manning midway through the 2015 season.
The importance of this cannot be overstated.

This team, offense, defense, and special teams all look to be on the same page and working toward the same goals.

The Broncos have been critiqued for not addressing the offensive line, however I am of the belief they have the makings of a solid unit going forward. Moving Leary back to the left side next to Bolles makes that side of the line downright formidable. The right side remains questionable, but McGovern showed some real potential and there are ways the team can work around other weaknesses if they become a problem. If the right side can be serviceable even, the line will be remarkably better than 2017. And let’s not forget, this is a unit that was solid in run blocking in 2017, despite the offense as a whole being so putrid.

With those changes to the line and the single most important position on the team address in the Keenum signing, the Broncos look to put behind them the days in inept and impotent offense. Initially I was not excited by the Keenum signing, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Even while I was skeptical I could not deny the immense improvement Keenum represented over the three-headed drive killing monster of Siemian-Lynch-Osweiler.

While I do not expect an explosive offense on the level of the 2012-2014 unit, I do expect the offense to be unrecognizable compared to last year’s. I think it’ll show flashes of explosiveness but for the most part will be an efficient unit reminiscent of the 2005 offense.

And that defense? It looks like it’s going to be scary good.
So with these factors in mind, here’s what I consider a best case scenario for the Broncos in 2018.

Week 1: Broncos vs Seahawks: win, 17-9. While I consider the Seahawks a team on the decline, even the most optimistic of fans knows week 1 is often a crapshoot. The Broncos defense should be able to control this one but the offense will have to work through some growing pains and challenges. They’ll do just enough while the defense stifles a potential game tying drive. Broncos 1-0.

Week 2: Broncos vs Raiders: win, 31-13. The offense gets it going against a Raiders team that looks to be in the midst of a pretty significant makeover. Gruden’s return has been much touted but that offense will be extremely complex and to expect them to go into Denver and square off against the Broncos defense in week 2 is asking a lot. The Broncos capitalize on early mistakes and run away with this one. Broncos 2-0.

Week 3: Broncos @ Ravens: loss, 17-27. This is less an endorsement on the Ravens than it is an acknowledgment the Broncos just don’t play the Ravens well on the road. Especially in the first road game of the season. Look for this loss to trigger a narrative about how similar this start is to the 2017 season: gut out a week 1 win, win big in week 2, and lose the first road game of the year in week 3. (That’s a bonus prediction. That’s what I do: I don’t just predict wins and losses but also how sports media and fans will react!) Broncos 2-1.

Week 4: Broncos vs Chiefs: win, 28-17. The Chiefs have enjoyed a 5 game win streak over the Broncos, but they will be breaking in a new QB. Mahommes got his first start in week 17 in Denver last season and his performance has Chiefs fans excited. Playing the Broncos in Denver early in the season on MNF is a (forgive me) horse of a different color. The Broncos correct course, both on the season and their all-time series with the Chiefs. Broncos 3-1.

Week 5: Broncos @ Jets: win, 28-7. Jets’ top pick Sam Darnold may well revive that franchise. Just not in week 5 of the 2018 season. Darnold’s senior year gave him the reputation of being turnover prone and that will likely continue, at least into his rookie season. The Broncos should be able to force a few mistakes and cash them in for points on the score board en route to a decisive win. Broncos 4-1.

Week 6: Broncos vs Rams: loss, 21-24. Wade Philips return to Denver will be much discussed, especially after his defense puts the lid on the Broncos offense. The Rams were already pretty good on both sides of the ball, but adding Peters and Talib to their secondary makes them scary good. Despite the Broncos being at home, the Rams are just further along in their resurgence. Broncos 4-2.

Week 7: Broncos @ Cardinals: win, 29-10. The Cardinals have some depth at QB with Bradford, Glennon, and Rosen. I’m guessing by week 7 Bradford will have suffered an injury, setting up the Broncos to tee off on another rookie QB on TNF. The Cardinals defense will keep in close, but the Broncos should be able to capitalize on mistakes and pull away late. Broncos 5-2.

Week 8: Broncos @ Chiefs: loss, 16-24. It’s tough to go into Kansas City and win no matter how you slice it. To do it as the second in back to back road trips that take you in two different directions is a tough out. The Chiefs are able to do just enough. Broncos 5-3.
Week 9: Broncos vs Texans: win, 24-21. This one looks like a grinder. While I don’t expect Texans QB Watson to pick up where he left off before his injury, the Texans should be a capable team on both sides of the ball. Capable, but not great. The defense holds and the offense does just enough. Broncos 6-3.

Week 10: Bye.

Week 11: Broncos @ Chargers: loss, 21-31. By this point in the season I expect a lot of buzz around both the Broncos and the Chargers. Catching the Chargers after a bye is a break but the Chargers are hitting on all cylinders. Even though the Chargers small stadium will be half full of Broncos fans, the team itself will still benefit from not having to travel. Plus the Chargers always play the Broncos tight. Broncos 6-4.

Week 12: Broncos vs Steelers: win, 17-14. The Broncos are a defense oriented team, and at some point along the way they are going to get into a slobber-knocking dogfight. Pencil in this one with the Steelers as a good candidate for that one. Maybe it’ll even snow just to make it more epic. Broncos edge them in a close, hard fought win. Broncos 7-4.

Week 13: Broncos @ Bengals: win, 34-17. And then just a week later the Broncos offense looks like a juggernaut on the road, albeit against a lesser team. The Broncos are just the better team across the board and it’ll show. Defense keeps the lid on the Bengals offense while the offense has one of its better dates thus far in the season as the Broncos double up the Bengals on the scoreboard. Broncos 8-4.

Week 14: Broncos @ 49ers: loss, 27-35. Once again, the Broncos make back to back road games in opposite directions. The 49ers are currently a dark horse to contend for the NFC West, but by week 14 they may be considered contenders for a deep playoff run as well. On the road and against a very good opponent, the Broncos suffer a late season setback. Broncos 8-5.

Week 15: Broncos vs Browns: win, 42-10. Getting the Browns just after a late season loss will be just what the doctor orders for this team. The Broncos will have had a few decisive wins and some hard fought ones by now, but they are going to straight up run away with this one. And yet another rookie QB in Mayfield chalks it up to the learning process. Broncos 9-5.

Week 16: Broncos @ Raiders: win, 28-17. This game is Christmas Eve, a Monday this year. The previous week’s game is on a Saturday, setting the Broncos up with a nice break in between. That’s vital because the Broncos will come into this one in a “win and in” scenario and the Raiders would love to at least delay the Broncos from punching their playoff ticket. They’ll give their best effort, but the Broncos control the pace and with a win return to the playoffs. Broncos 10-5.

Week 17: Broncos vs Chargers: win, 27-13. Both teams will enter this game locked into their respective playoff seeds, so expect the starters to play only in the first half. The Broncos jump out to a lead and put it in cruise control in the second half as the regular season comes to a close. Broncos 11-5.

The Broncos 2018 record of 11-5 will be good enough for a wildcard spot in the playoffs, as the Broncos finish 2nd behind the Chargers in the AFC West. The defense will be top 5 across the board, most importantly 3rd or 4th in scoring. The offense will hover around top 10, and rank about 6th or 7th in scoring. The Broncos will score 407 and surrender 289 points, averages of 25.4 and 18.1 PPG respectively. Look for Keenum to have an efficient year, hitting about 3,600 passing yards, 23 TDs and 10 INT. This will be wild improvement over last year. Freeman and Booker combine for about 1,600 rushing yards, perhaps with Booker leading in yards gained but Freeman having more rushing TDs.

While an 11-5 record, a top flight defense and solid offense will all combine for a dangerous team, I expect the Broncos will remain an afterthought as the playoffs start, overshadowed by the Chargers and Patriots in the AFC and a murderer’s row of elite teams in the NFC playoff slate.

More on that soon enough. For now I welcome your thoughts on these predictions for the 2018 Broncos.

A+ job, as usual ikf!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An old football adage is that a team will lose a game for every rookie starter they have. I think the Broncos will have at least 3 rookies starters - Chubb - Freeman and DeaSean Hamilton (mainly because the Broncos don't have a logical slot receiver other than C. Henderson). I also think it is a good bet Josie Jewell will be starting before the season is done.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's especially get the Iowa players names right.

Josey.

Josie is the spelling of my co-workers daughter.

Josey is more masculine.

;)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An old football adage is that a team will lose a game for every rookie starter they have. I think the Broncos will have at least 3 rookies starters - Chubb - Freeman and DeaSean Hamilton (mainly because the Broncos don't have a logical slot receiver other than C. Henderson). I also think it is a good bet Josie Jewell will be starting before the season is done.

In realness though.

I know you liked Sutton in the slot when we drafted him, but I like Hamilton much better in the slot with Sutton on the outside. Something tells me Sutton may take a year before he really gets into action. Might ease him in slow this year with DT and Sanders on the outside and Hamilton in the slot. Sutton has a ton of upside, but Hamilton might be more ready to help out team out this coming year barring injury with his ability to play in the slot. Henderson could be in a challenge with McKenzie for a roster spot when all is said and done. McKenzie has the PR advantage on him if he can hang onto the ball in camp, but Henderson looks to improve in year two and has a lot more to offer as a WR then McKenzie. Henderson is really a wild card. Guy could either be our slot guy, be our inactive WR while he still learns or not make the team.

Thomas
Sanders
Sutton
Hamilton
Henderson
McKenzie
J.Taylor

We could also keep 6 WR's with McKenzie as the PR.

WR will be interesting this year. Bunch of young guys vying for PT.

Just feel like Hamilton is a very smart, crafty WR who can play in the NFL for a long time as a nice compliment WR.. He runs as good of routes as any WR in this years draft. He is smooth in everything he does. His numbers were inconsistent at PSU but also had some huge games. I think he is going to be a much better NFL player then college. He is well polished coming out.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In realness though.

I know you liked Sutton in the slot when we drafted him, but I like Hamilton much better in the slot with Sutton on the outside. Something tells me Sutton may take a year before he really gets into action. Might ease him in slow this year with DT and Sanders on the outside and Hamilton in the slot. Sutton has a ton of upside, but Hamilton might be more ready to help out team out this coming year barring injury with his ability to play in the slot. Henderson could be in a challenge with McKenzie for a roster spot when all is said and done. McKenzie has the PR advantage on him if he can hang onto the ball in camp, but Henderson looks to improve in year two and has a lot more to offer as a WR then McKenzie. Henderson is really a wild card. Guy could either be our slot guy, be our inactive WR while he still learns or not make the team.

Thomas
Sanders
Sutton
Hamilton
Henderson
McKenzie
J.Taylor

Just feel like Hamilton is a very smart, crafty WR who can play in the NFL for a long time as a nice compliment WR.. He runs as good of routes as any WR in this years draft. He is smooth in everything he does. His numbers were inconsistent at PSU but also had some huge games. I think he is going to be a much better NFL player then college. He is well polished coming out.

So I'm working on an article right now about this very thing with Hamilton being the more productive receiver of the two we drafted year 1. Loved that draft pick a lot.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm working on an article right now about this very thing with Hamilton being the more productive receiver of the two we drafted year 1. Loved that draft pick a lot.

Share when you're done.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In realness though.

Thomas
Sanders
Sutton
Hamilton
Henderson
McKenzie
J.Taylor

If you notice - It is Hamilton I suggest will be a 1st year starter in the slot and not Sutton.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you notice - It is Hamilton I suggest will be a 1st year starter in the slot and not Sutton.

I noticed. You had previously called for Sutton to work the slot before we had drafted Hamilton. The goodies are in the bag now let's see if they come out.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hamilton/Sutton debate is interesting. I imagined Sutton would be the bigger impact right away given his size and hands. He is touted as a legitimate red zone threat. As horrific as our red zone production was last year this comes as good news, though we all know they have to prove it.

I am really curious to read Carl’s article now and see his thoughts on Hamilton’s proeduction. If these guys turn out to be 3a and 3b that’s a win for the Broncos.

The 11-5 prediction is ambitious, no question. But when you dissect the game it really isn’t out of the realm of possible. The defense was still pretty good last year. The scoring was an anomaly because of the turnovers. On offense the time of possession and turnovers should be significantly improved. This helps field position and scoring defense. But from there it gets better. The Broncos averaged just around 18 PPG last year. It is not a stretch to believe Keenum can lead the offense to a far better performance. The influx of talent at the skills position on offense have this unit poised to be unrecognizable from last year’s. And that’s a good thing.