• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2016 Dodgers Outfield

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's got a lot of guys in it.

Yasiel Puig
Joc Pederson (L)
Scott Van Slyke
Andre Ethier (L)
Carl Crawford (L)
Trayce Thompson
Kike Hernandez
Alex Guerrero

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's got a lot of guys in it.

Yasiel Puig
Joc Pederson (L)
Scott Van Slyke
Andre Ethier (L)
Carl Crawford (L)
Trayce Thompson
Kike Hernandez
Alex Guerrero

A considerable amount of unknowns. However, I like Kike in center if Joc's bat goes AWOL again. However, Joc is the key piece. His defensive instincts are incredible. If is getting on base and hitting for power, I believe a lot of pieces fall into line.

Another unknown is Puig. The epitome of a put up or shut up season.

Andre is a solid veteran bat that needs to avoid lefties. He's a situational guy at this point in his career.

Carl is long in the tooth. Injury prone and losing bat speed. He looked lost against the Mets live arms. It would be nice to see SVS step up and push Carl to the bench. He's gotta hit righties in order to do that (w/ consistency).

Puig and Joc can define this team.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joc and Puig will indeed probably be the X-Factors of the whole team as well as Ryu.

I'm confident this will be a strong bunch. I'll be even more excited if Joc shows the improvements this spring. I think Puig will be back to All Star Level if he stays healthy. And if nothing else our depth in this part of the team is very strong.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andre Ethier sent for bone scan on right leg

I've mentioned that I work in radiology, so therefore I can tell you that Andre is literally getting injected with radioactive drugs. Crossing my fingers they show that there is no fracture and that he receives a superpower.

In case you're wondering, the radioactive drug will circulate his body and he will be "imaged" by a device called a gamma camera. We know how these drugs tend to circulate and collect in normal conditions, but when things go wrong they either don't circulate to where they're supposed to - called "cold spots" - or they collect in abundance where they're not supposed to - called "hot spots" - and the doctors can infer information about various pathologies based on these images.

I don't do NucMed myself, so I can't tell you exactly what they'll see or what they're looking for, but I'd guess that a hot spot in the middle of his tibia (shin) would be what they'd expect.

Here is what I got when I google "bone scan tibia"

2107.jpg

The black "hot spot" is a stress fracture in the anterior cortex of the tibia. Fancy way of saying the shin has a crack in the front edge - kinda like if you pushed in on one side of an eggshell.

Here's another good example showing a diagnostic radiograph (regular xray) versus the bone scan:

bilat+sfx.jpg

Those are AP (front/back) and Lateral (side) views of the same leg. You can clearly see on the bone scan where the hot spot is. On the normal xrays, it doesn't show the fractured cortex (as far as I can tell).

BTW the lateral images are flipped - the xray has the foot pointing <--- that way and the bone scan is pointing the foot ----> that way. Look at the position of the fibula (the skinny leg bone) in relation to the tibia (the big one) to see what I mean. So that patient's fracture is on the posterior aspect of the tibia. Maybe someone kicked em in the back of the leg? Looks painful as hell.

The treatment for this is pain meds + milk + don't put weight on it. It'll heal on its own and doesn't take take too long.

Last edited:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised they called up Barnes, leaves the OF a little thin. Guess that leaves Kendrick in the OF mix predominantly. Why 3 catchers?

Joc Pederson (L)
Scott Van Slyke (just returned, also 1B)
Trayce Thompson
Kike Hernandez
Howie Kendrick (also the 5th IF)

Yasiel Puig (15 day)
Andre Ethier (L) (60 day)

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough with Crawford

Bye, Felicia. :wave:

Surprised they called up Barnes, leaves the OF a little thin. Guess that leaves Kendrick in the OF mix predominantly. Why 3 catchers?

Joc Pederson (L)
Scott Van Slyke (just returned, also 1B)
Trayce Thompson
Kike Hernandez
Howie Kendrick (also the 5th IF)

Yasiel Puig (15 day)
Andre Ethier (L) (60 day)

5 names is plenty for an OF. The Dodgers have been running a surplus for too long. Kike is still around to platoon with Pederson. SVS can play all 3 positions but thankfully will not have to ever been seen in CF with Thompson and Kike around behind Pederson.

Also, don't forget that Barnes can also play 2B and 3B in addition to catching, and you know he's going to work quality at-bats every time (something Crawford just simply wasn't going to do). Grandal and Ellis have not been doing much in the way of offensive production either, so maybe it's time that Austin forced his way onto the roster.

I hope Barnes catches Urias tomorrow.