• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thad Matta retiring

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only guess is that they might have something lined up with an NBA head coach or NBA assistant coach. Trying to pull another coach from the college ranks is going to be difficult. Maybe Fred Hoiberg is getting the shits of having to deal with the Bulls? Just an example.

Billy Donovan is the only NBA coach I could see maybe not being a total pipe dream. Though it's very wishful thinking.

OKC is a tough spot right now, You have Westbrook who is a MVP caliber player in any give year, yet it's unlikely you sniff the NBA finals with the Warriors running crazy through the west for the foreseeable future. The "why can't we do better with the league MVP" chatter is only bound to ramp up.

That being said, I'd shit my pants if they actually somehow pulled that off.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Billy Donovan is the only NBA coach I could see maybe not being a total pipe dream. Though it's very wishful thinking.

OKC is a tough spot right now, You have Westbrook who is a MVP caliber player in any give year, yet it's unlikely you sniff the NBA finals with the Warriors running crazy through the west for the foreseeable future. The "why can't we do better with the league MVP" chatter is only bound to ramp up.

That being said, I'd shit my pants if they actually somehow pulled that off.

Donovan would crush it at osu. I know he didn't sign up to coach there minus KD, but they still have a good front office, and overall have a good young roster around RW, which could in theory get better. Will they ever be the Warriors, definitely not, but I could see them being a top 4 team in the Western Conference for the foreseeable future assuming RW stays. Plus Donovan made double of what Matta did last year, does osu want to pay that much?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donovan would crush it at osu. I know he didn't sign up to coach there minus KD, but they still have a good front office, and overall have a good young roster around RW, which could in theory get better. Will they ever be the Warriors, definitely not, but I could see them being a top 4 team in the Western Conference for the foreseeable future assuming RW stays. Plus Donovan made double of what Matta did last year, does osu want to pay that much?

The money would definitely have to be right. But Ohio State, for basketball is a place where the right coach can win and there isn't the same pressure you get at like an Indiana. If I was a NBA coach looking to get out I'd certainly at least consider it, but that's just me.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money would definitely have to be right. But Ohio State, for basketball is a place where the right coach can win and there isn't the same pressure you get at like an Indiana. If I was a NBA coach looking to get out I'd certainly at least consider it, but that's just me.

Oh I definitely agree, which is why I mentioned a guy like Hoiberg. He killed it at Iowa State, and that's Iowa State. He just doesn't seem happy with Chicago. I'm not sure how many other viable candidates there are in NBA head coaching circles. Maybe Quin Synder given his background? Maybe Earl Watson?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I definitely agree, which is why I mentioned a guy like Hoiberg. He killed it at Iowa State, and that's Iowa State. He just doesn't seem happy with Chicago. I'm not sure how many other viable candidates there are in NBA head coaching circles. Maybe Quin Synder given his background? Maybe Earl Watson?

Eh, Quin Snyder was a pretty mediocre college coach overall minus that elite 8 run in 2002.

I'd take Hoiberg for sure if it somehow came to that, Obviously Billy Donovan would be "#1" but as said those are wishful thinking options.

I think Gene Smith will swing for the fences, Chris Mack probably is the #1 choice if they don't hit a HR, which I would be more than ok with. You could definitely do much much worse with a "saftey" option.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, Quin Snyder was a pretty mediocre college coach overall minus that elite 8 run in 2002.

I'd take Hoiberg for sure if it somehow came to that, Obviously Billy Donovan would be "#1" but as said those are wishful thinking options.

I think Gene Smith will swing for the fences, Chris Mack probably is the #1 choice if they don't hit a HR, which I would be more than ok with. You could definitely do much much worse with a "saftey" option.

Yeah, I was just trying to throw out names that made sense. lol.

Just don't take Pitino from us please. lol.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was just trying to throw out names that made sense. lol.

Just don't take Pitino from us please. lol.

However it shakes out there is no escaping the fact that we are going to be very very bad this coming season. Hopefully it goes quick so whoever it is can start recruiting and building for 18-19

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However it shakes out there is no escaping the fact that we are going to be very very bad this coming season. Hopefully it goes quick so whoever it is can start recruiting and building for 18-19

Yeah, it'll be a tough year I think too. I'm not sure if Ohio State will even have 10 scholarship players? I know with Lyle getting dismissed, and Thompson off to the NBA(D-league) and Loving graduating, what's left of the roster? Tate, CJ Jackson, Potter, Funderburk, Kam Williams, Keita Bates Diop, Wesson brothers and incoming PG Beverly? Am I missing anybody that could be a contributor for next season?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Think with Hoiberg is he's gonna be hit or miss.

Dude is a lazy ass recruiter. So he's gonna need a great assistant and hope his transfers keep being successful and he finds a gem like Niang again.

Hoiberg is great, but there is also a reason he was looking to bolt to the NBA asap.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thad had a great run with Ohio State, but the last few years were pretty putrid. Health or otherwise, it was time for a change.

Wish him the best.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think with Hoiberg is he's gonna be hit or miss.

Dude is a lazy ass recruiter. So he's gonna need a great assistant and hope his transfers keep being successful and he finds a gem like Niang again.

Hoiberg is great, but there is also a reason he was looking to bolt to the NBA asap.

I thought he did pretty good with recruiting at ISU. Monte Morris and Matt Thomas were pretty good recruits as well. No doubt he's good at getting transfers. My guess is given it would be Ohio State and not Iowa State, he'd have to be extremely lazy to not land top 20 classes consistently. Lol.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he did pretty good with recruiting at ISU. Monte Morris and Matt Thomas were pretty good recruits as well. No doubt he's good at getting transfers. My guess is given it would be Ohio State and not Iowa State, he'd have to be extremely lazy to not land top 20 classes consistently. Lol.

Yea I was gonna say the same thing. You have to run a program like Iowa State differently then you would at Ohio State. That being said I feel even a "lazy" recruiting effort by Hoiberg would be an improvement over where we are at currently.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of chatter from pundits about Tom Crean, this IMO would be a fucking awful move.

In 9 years at Indiana his average finish in the big 10 was 7th. What would make you think he is going to do any better with Ohio State?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how realistic Shaka and Sean Miller are, but this was thrown out there a little bit ago.

There is NO way Sean Miller is leaving Arizona to coach Ohio St basketball

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would love this... Can you imagine the hate we would receive from Gators fans? Urban and Billy...Imagine getting a Natty from Donovan.. Anyway, it's not gonna happen.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of chatter from pundits about Tom Crean, this IMO would be a fucking awful move.

In 9 years at Indiana his average finish in the big 10 was 7th. What would make you think he is going to do any better with Ohio State?

Never made it past the S16 either. I would steer clear of Crean to be honest. If Gene Smith is looking for an elite recruiter maybe Rick Stansbury makes some sense. Just pulled in a top 10 class at WKU of all places, but that's highly unlikely. Although, I thought he did about as good of a job as you can when he was at Mississippi State earlier in his career.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't mind if Cronin were to take the job to be honest. He brought us back out of purgatory and I would always appreciate that, but its time to come to grips that he just not the guy to take us to a national title game. And we're constantly losing the recruiting battle against Xavier.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind if Cronin were to take the job to be honest. He brought us back out of purgatory and I would always appreciate that, but its time to come to grips that he just not the guy to take us to a national title game. And we're constantly losing the recruiting battle against Xavier.

I honestly think this is his best chance to get to a FF this upcoming year. As good as Caupain was, I think the team is getting an upgrade at PG next year with Cane Broome. And with Evans, Washington, Clark and Cumberland back, that's a heck of a 5 right there.