• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Text of Judge Berman's Ruling Overturning Brady's Suspension and a Bit Of Analysis

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judge Berman's decision overturning Brady's suspension can be viewed here: http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/cases/show.php?db=special&id=484

Berman vacated Goodell's ruling on a number of grounds, not the least of which was the fact that, as I noted yesterday, the "generally aware" standard used as the basis for the four-game suspension was not one contained in the CBA itself. Because it was not, Brady could not have violated a rule he had never been aware of. Berman also held that the NFL couldn't use the Competitive Integrity Policy to ban Brady because that only applied to League executives, not players.

While Brady was aware of and subject to policies regulating equipment and uniforms, that wasn't a proper basis for any suspension because any first time offense could only in a fine. The League's view that Brady violated the CBA's provisions relating "conduct detrimental" to the game could not also support the discipline the league meted out against him. According to Berman, it wasn't entirely clear whether what Brady was at all detrimental. Berman distinguished the suspensions given to Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice pursuant to the "conduct detrimental" clause, explaining that in those two matters, there was actually a League investigation and finding that their actions violated the separate League policy prohibiting domestic abuse and violence.

Berman also justified overturning Goodell's decision on grounds that the arbitral process itself was unfair. In particular, he noted that Goodell refused the NFLPA's request to call Jeff Pash, one of the co-authors of the Wells report and and to seek production of certain documents in Wells' investigatory files. Goodell's refusal to do so deprived the NFLPA and Brady due process in their prosecuting their case with respect to the four-game suspension.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judge Berman's decision overturning Brady's suspension can be viewed here: http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/cases/show.php?db=special&id=484

Berman vacated Goodell's ruling on a number of grounds, not the least of which was the fact that, as I noted yesterday, the "generally aware" standard used as the basis for the four-game suspension was not one contained in the CBA itself. Because it was not, Brady could not have violated a rule he had never been aware of. Berman also held that the NFL couldn't use the Competitive Integrity Policy to ban Brady because that only applied to League executives, not players.

While Brady was aware of and subject to policies regulating equipment and uniforms, that wasn't a proper basis for any suspension because any first time offense could only in a fine. The League's view that Brady violated the CBA's provisions relating "conduct detrimental" to the game could not also support the discipline the league meted out against him. According to Berman, it wasn't entirely clear whether what Brady was at all detrimental. Berman distinguished the suspensions given to Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice pursuant to the "conduct detrimental" clause, explaining that in those two matters, there was actually a League investigation and finding that their actions violated the separate League policy prohibiting domestic abuse and violence.

Berman also justified overturning Goodell's decision on grounds that the arbitral process itself was unfair. In particular, he noted that Goodell refused the NFLPA's request to call Jeff Pash, one of the co-authors of the Wells report and and to seek production of certain documents in Wells' investigatory files. Goodell's refusal to do so deprived the NFLPA and Brady due process in their prosecuting their case with respect to the four-game suspension.

what the hell ? the pats fans say that tom brady is an innocent man .

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While Brady was aware of and subject to policies regulating equipment and uniforms, that wasn't a proper basis for any suspension because any first time offense could only in a fine.

This is the bullshit that the world has been listening to for 8+ months now ... this judge did not acknowledge Brady being aware ...

he DID repeat the Wells own report that there were no intentionally deflated balls:

"the Wells Report acknowledged that "[o]ur scientific consultants
informed us that the data alone did not provide a basis for them to determine with absolute
certainty whether there was or was not tampering, as the analysis of such data is ultimately
dependent upon assumptions and information that is uncertain." Id. at 131 (emphasis
added)."

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="

Berman also justified overturning Goodell's decision on grounds that the arbitral process itself was unfair. In particular, he noted that Goodell refused the NFLPA's request to call Jeff Pash, one of the co-authors of the Wells report and and to seek production of certain documents in Wells' investigatory files. Goodell's refusal to do so deprived the NFLPA and Brady due process in their prosecuting their case with respect to the four-game suspension.[/QUOTE]
Too funny. Goodell wants us to believe it's all about integrity and protecting the shield. What a hypocritical POS.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the hell ? the pats fans say that tom brady is an innocent man .
Yes many of us say that because there is zero proof to say otherwise. We also say you're a moron.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok tom, now divorce giselle and get those alimony checks!

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok tom, now divorce giselle and get those alimony checks!

He'll be ignominiously benched and shamed for his severely eroded skills and abysmal play this season.

The divorce will probably be next year.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the bullshit that the world has been listening to for 8+ months now ... this judge did not acknowledge Brady being aware ...

he DID repeat the Wells own report that there were no intentionally deflated balls:

"the Wells Report acknowledged that "[o]ur scientific consultants
informed us that the data alone did not provide a basis for them to determine with absolute
certainty whether there was or was not tampering, as the analysis of such data is ultimately
dependent upon assumptions and information that is uncertain." Id. at 131 (emphasis
added)."

I think you may have misread that. I take it as saying that Brady is aware that there are rules in place about uniforms and equipment, NOT that he was aware that these rules were being violated.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my favorite part is how berman clearly states part of his reason to vacate was the NFL comparing (i.e using the guidelines, which is considered a comparison in legalese) for PED punishments for this mess.

he also said in court on day 2 that this cant be compared to PED's.

thats my boy @DirtDirtDirt

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you may have misread that. I take it as saying that Brady is aware that there are rules in place about uniforms and equipment, NOT that he was aware that these rules were being violated.

Thank you Apache ... I did misread Redskinfan (excuse me)