• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teryl Austin Bengals

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes no sense for him to be a DC unless it is for a future champion. He will get a HC job soon too. As long as it is not with GB.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes no sense for him to be a DC unless it is for a future champion. He will get a HC job soon too. As long as it is not with GB.

I really don't know why Lions fans think this when nobody else does. What has he possibly done to deserve to be HC?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he’s looking to be a Bengal because he doesn’t see a future as a Lion?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just an average coach in my opinion.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he’s looking to be a Bengal because he doesn’t see a future as a Lion?

His mentor and leader was just dismissed after a winning season. A new HC may want all his own staff. Why not interview wherever he can get the same or better position? As far as how many times he has interviewed without changing jobs, Mike Zimmer was about to give up on interviewing when he was asked to interview with the Vikes. That seems to have worked out well for him.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new hire will be allowed to pick his own staff. If it's a defensive hire, Austin's out of a job.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right that he could be our next HC if we are going out of our way to block other teams from interviewing him, but we let the Bengals interview him so it is most likely just a divisional thing at this point.

I don't think he's our next HC. I thought maybe he could succeed Marvin in Vinci, but that's maybe because he reminds them a bit of Lewis.

I think he's more likely to be a DC somewhere next year though.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin has had a lot interviews over the last few years mostly built off of his first year as a DC. He's done a good job keeping it together with injuries but Rob's right, he hasn't done enough to get a top job. You see we're the only ones who gave him an HC look this year. And that was obligatory. If he had a real shot at the job they wouldn't let him talk to Cincy. He sees himself as a legitimate HC candidate but he's going to be passed over by the franchise who employs him. His ego will not let him stay in Detroit after that. He'll be elsewhere next season as a DC. Just not in Green Bay.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple things I hadn't realized that were pointed out by that article. #1 our defense was ranked 27th in the league this year. I thought it would have been much higher than that. I never felt like our defense was the part of the team that let us down. Well maybe not never, but very rarely, and I still thought more blame belonged elsewhere.

#2. We were 31st in the league in sacks and pressures. I didn't realize anybody was worse than us. Although I guess Ziggy stat padded a bit against the Giants and then the last 2 weeks. He ended up with 12 sacks on the season, stats that would make him look like a pro bowl type player. In fact he was almost completely invisible.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the memories, TA!!! (Although they were better w Suh, but still)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Bengals "are in negotiations" with Teryl Austin to be their new defensive coordinator.

Austin is currently the Lions defensive coordinator, but with Patriots DC Matt Patricia likely to fill Detroit's head coaching vacancy, the Lions should be willing to let Austin jump ship. Austin is a respected coordinator who has earned head coaching interviews in the past, but the Lions slumped on defense in 2017. He should be able to get back on track coaching a Bengals unit which has plenty of talent.
Related: Bengals

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple things I hadn't realized that were pointed out by that article. #1 our defense was ranked 27th in the league this year. I thought it would have been much higher than that.

We had a ton of turnovers. That was our calling card on D.

Good luck in Cinci, TA!

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Austin was good for what we needed the last few years. Get the young DBs playing at a higher level. We had pretty good D lines up until this year. That needs work now and the LBs never really matured. Need a guy who can mold the front 7 now.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure about that. I used to agree but he has had a bunch of HC interviews and is never considered a front runner. It may be that he just doesn't interview well enough for the position, but his defense hasn't been so good that teams feel that they have to have him as HC.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about that. I used to agree but he has had a bunch of HC interviews and is never considered a front runner. It may be that he just doesn't interview well enough for the position, but his defense hasn't been so good that teams feel that they have to have him as HC.

He will be groomed to succeed Marv. Not sure how good he will be, but it is just a matter of time before we find out IMO.