• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Syracuse Basketball 2013-2014

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tango, thanks. I respect UK. I would love a series too. Problem is the ACC expanding and pre-season tournaments make that virtually impossible. The only times Duke and Kentucky can meet will be in a pre-season tourney or the NCAA big dance. You can pull for the Blue Devils when they play UofL.

If UK, UL, Duke, and UNC agreed to a pre-season tourney...it could and probably would be worked out rapidly...simply because CBS or ESPN would be fighting for the right to televise the games. I think most basketball fans would love to watch a series like that...if for no other reason than to boo at least 3 out the four teams. Those 3 teams would be UK {Calipari} Duke {Coach K} and UNC {'Ol Roy}

I don't think there's enough hatred towards the Louisville Little Bros {other than from any self-respecting UK fan} to warrant much animosity, and they would probably be favored by most bandwagon fans.

But the classic between two Kentucky teams against two North Carolina teams would be an exciting and very entertaining series. I hope it happens.:feedback:

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tango, the NCAA has a limitation on the number of games that a team can play in one academic season. That would be 40(although mathematically 43 could actually happen).

31 games scheduled in one regular season consists of...

27 Regular Season games (29 if not in Maui, Great Alaskan Shoot out, Pre-Season NIT, etc.)
4 (or 5 Pre-Season Tournament games)
5 Post Season Conference tourney games are possible depending on the conference.

Then 7 possible NCAA games with the recent play-in game added.

So possibly a team could conceivably play 43, however the most so far has been 40, which in the by-laws of the NCAA states teams are allowed to play.

Again, by adding teams to the ACC it makes it even more of a logistical nightmare for an Athletic Director to schedule outside of the Conference if a team plays in any Pre-Season tournament like UNC and Duke does every year. But with UofL coming to the ACC it will be impossible for a small round robin series like you suggest. There used to be a "Big Four Tournament" at Greensboro every year between Wake Forest, NC State, Duke, and UNC, but then the ACC said they didn't want a "Pre-Season" type tourney between "In-Conference Teams" anymore. And that was when there were only 8 ACC teams.

Hey, I'm with you. I'd love to see a series set up. From a college basketball fan's point of view, everyone would love to see these games played. But with the limitations set by the NCAA and the addition of these mega-sized conferences, we will never see it now. No matter who wants it and what networks are willing to pay for it to happen.

Good question though.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cuse better do well this year. the ncaa tourny east regional doesnt leave the state of NY until the final four

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cuse better do well this year. the ncaa tourny east regional doesnt leave the state of NY until the final four

SU will do just fine. Thoughts from a person smarter than I:

By Eamonn Brennan

Syracuse's greatest gift to the ACC might well be its status as "New York's College Team." But let's be real: The addition on the court is just as big a get. The Orange are the fifth-winningest basketball program of all time. In 36 years under coach Jim Boeheim -- the second-winningest coach in college hoops history -- Syracuse has been staggeringly consistent: 34 20-win seasons, 29 NCAA tournament bids, 10 Big East titles and on down the line.

There's no reason to expect less in 2013-14. The Orange lost a significant talent load, Michael Carter Williams, James Southerland and Brandon Triche from their Final Four run in March, but, as is tradition, they will have plenty of talent to take their place. Boeheim three top 100 playesr -- guard Tyler Ennis and forwards Tyler Roberson and B.J. Johnson -- arriving this fall. Ennis, the No. 5-ranked point in the 2013 class, is a lock to get big minutes, if not start. (Meanwhile, don't forget former Indiana signee Ron Patterson, a talented Indianapolis shooting guard who returned to prep school after failing to keep his grades up at IU last summer. Returning senior C. J. Fair turned down the NBA draft in favor of another collegiate season of doing just about everything well. Sophomores Jerami Grant, Trevor Cooney and DaJuan Coleman -- the latter missed much of 2012-13 following knee surgery, and may be the brightest talent here -- will have big roles to play. Baye Keita is a horrifyingly long rim protector who blocked 8.2 percent of available shots last season. Rising sophomore Rakeem Christmas is even better (11.0 block rate).

That's what has made Syracuse so consistently good for nigh on 40 years: Even when the Orange are just OK offensively, Boeheim's strategic clarity, and his ability to recruit the right mix of players to play within it, have made Cuse a reliable defensive juggernaut.

Boeheim has been at this since 1976, three years before Dave Gavitt founded the original Big East. He has won 920 games since. The Orange may have a new conference logo patched onto those iconic uniforms, and Boeheim will have to search Yelp for a new Denny’s for his pregame meals. But other than that, why would we expect anything to change?

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
instead of a tourny why cant LV unc duke & uk just form something simliar to the phillys big5/city6

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The old guy getting some rest......

jim-boeheim-passed-out.jpg

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaleb Joseph commits to SU. A 6-3 Guard out of Nashua, N.H./Cushing Academy made a verbal commitment to Syracuse on Saturday while on campus for an official visit.

Joseph's commitment, combined with McCullough, moves Syracuse to No. 4 in the 2014 class rankings.

Pumped! :cheer2:

Syracuse Orange gets commitment from PG Kaleb Joseph - ESPN

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pic of Jimmy B jonvi. I look forward to the new ACC. For the record, I hope SU finishes second in the league:nod:.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pic of Jimmy B jonvi. I look forward to the new ACC. For the record, I hope SU finishes second in the league:nod:.

im so ready for dukes trip to the dome. gonna be epic.

everyone seems to hate duke but as a syracuse fan i have tons of respect for that program. coach K is as classy as they come and he & boeheim are very good friends. its out of respect that these two coaches never played each other but a part of me is glad that they can now finally do so. very few coaches have class when it comes to transfers. wisky's bo ryan sickens me with his "you cant go to any b10 or sec school" or another coach (i forget who) blocked a kid from going to his hometown school. that stuff is so disrespectful to the game but here we have coach K ENCOURAGING one of his players to transfer to syracuse a future ACC rival school. and because we were in conference transition at the time he didnt have to sit out the required 2 years. boeheim is the type of guy who doesnt normally accept transfers (i think hes had only 5 total in his career) it was coach K who made that deal happen and he did it looking out for the best interests of his player no matter how big of an advantage it will give another school. in sports its rare for the best person in a particular sport to be the ideal role model but coach K is and that just makes him even more awesome

i got so much respect for coach k & duke after the gibnaje transfer that its imposible for me to ever hate on this program

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

im so ready for dukes trip to the dome. gonna be epic.

everyone seems to hate duke but as a syracuse fan i have tons of respect for that program. coach K is as classy as they come and he & boeheim are very good friends. its out of respect that these two coaches never played each other but a part of me is glad that they can now finally do so. very few coaches have class when it comes to transfers. wisky's bo ryan sickens me with his "you cant go to any b10 or sec school" or another coach (i forget who) blocked a kid from going to his hometown school. that stuff is so disrespectful to the game but here we have coach K ENCOURAGING one of his players to transfer to syracuse a future ACC rival school. and because we were in conference transition at the time he didnt have to sit out the required 2 years. boeheim is the type of guy who doesnt normally accept transfers (i think hes had only 5 total in his career) it was coach K who made that deal happen and he did it looking out for the best interests of his player no matter how big of an advantage it will give another school. in sports its rare for the best person in a particular sport to be the ideal role model but coach K is and that just makes him even more awesome

i got so much respect for coach k & duke after the gibnaje transfer that its imposible for me to ever hate on this program

douggie and I have been hanging a while. He was at cbs a little longer than I.

It does seem everyone hates Duke....except SU fans. Maybe it's the connection Coach JB and Coach K have with the olympics....maybe Coach K leading the most wins in CBB with Coach JB right behind him. I'm not sure what the reason, but duke and SU fans seem to get along.

It's gotta be respect. And douggie knows SU is coming to ruin his day. :whistle:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting Five:

RAK. Center. 6-9. He better play well because there will be plenty of competition at the Center position.
2012 stats. 12.7 Minutes, 5.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocks.

Jerami Grant, Power Forward.
2012 stats. 14.3 minutes, 3.9 points, 3.0 rebounds and 0.5 blocks. He really came to play in the Final Four loss to Michigan snagging 7 boards over McGary and adding 4 point in 17 minutes of play.

C.J. Fair, Small Forward. I so hope he returns to SU.
2012 stats. 34.9 minutes, 14.5 points, 7.0 rebounds, 1.0 blocks and 1.1 steals.

Trevor Cooney, Shooting Guard. Despite his shooting struggles, TC provided a lot of solid defense and always played hard. I'm hoping he finds his stroke during the off season
2012 stats. 11.2 minutes and 3.4 points per game.

Tyler Ennis, Point Guard. The 6'2, 5 star recruit is expect to have just as much ability and potential as any guard SU has had.
2012 stats at St. Benedicts Prep (NJ). 20.8 points, 6.1 assist, 5.1 rebounds and 3.1 steals. I'm sold.

Off the Bench:

Keita. 6-10 and has a motor that won't quit. I like Keita a bunch because he seems better in the big games.
2012 stats: 16.8 minutes, 3.7 points, 1.1 blocks and 3.6 rebounds. But in the Big East tournament he posted 8.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game.
Coleman. 6-9, 288 pounds. Wow. Struggled in his first year. But I've see it forever at SU...the Bigs take a while to develop.
2012 stats: 12.7 minutes, 4.8 points and 4.0 rebounds.

Michael Gbinije, Guard/Forward. All I know is he is 6-7 and can handle the ball. He is a Duke
transfer. Was a 5 star recruit. I expect him to push Cooney, Ennis and even Grant for PT.
No stats for 2012 as he sat out last year.

Tyler Roberson, Small Forward. 6-8, 210 pound beast is SU most touted recruit in the 2013 class. There is so much depth on the baseline....I'm just not sure how he gets in the game. I don't see him
redshirting though....and I expect to see him get minutes like Grant did in the 2012 season.
2012 stats at Roselle Catholic (NJ, 17.5 points, 11.7 rebounds and 3.3 blocks

Ron Patterson, Shooting Guard. Another one I know nothing of. He was highly recruited and committed to IU....went to school a little bit and left. I don't think he could handle the education requirements because he ended up enrolling at Brewster Academy (NH) before committing to SU.

B.J.Johnson. Yep...SU's got a Bad Johnson. At 6-7, he seems to be the prototypical Coach JB 2-3 zone player. Tall, lanky and athletic. I don't see him sniffing the court this year, but expect we will see him down the road a piece.

Chinonso Obokoh....pronounced Chee-No-so Oh-Bow-koh. That's all I know about him.

The 2013 - 2014 version of SU is so much like last years team. SU will lose a ton of scoring and will re-load. This is another one of those teams that is built to be sucessful during a tournament. I expect another mid season grind where the constent pounding wears them down and they drop some games. But come
tournament time, thier length and bulk down low will give everyone fits. I expect a very deep run in the ACC and the NCAA tournamentss.

I think it's going to be a great year.

Is Coleman related or any relation to the former 'Cuse great Derek
Coleman? He's a very big dude.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SU will not move the bball court to the center of the Dome. Me....I doubt I would want to watch a game at the center of the Dome. But being a part of 50K at a campus bball game would have been special enough for me to go.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/08/syracuse_will_move_its_basketb.html

The link title says it will move.....but the story says it ain't moving. I didn't write it.

I use to go to a few 'Cuse games back during the Carmelo, Warrick, J Mac, etc. at the Dome. It's a tough place to watch a game whether it's football or basketball. Of course I was never in the student section either:) fun days they were during that championship season.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use to go to a few 'Cuse games back during the Carmelo, Warrick, J Mac, etc. at the Dome. It's a tough place to watch a game whether it's football or basketball. Of course I was never in the student section either:) fun days they were during that championship season.

I love my season football seats. The basketball games though...I live north of Syracuse and the drive in the winter can be wicked so I don't have season bball tickets. I rarely get good seats to the bball games I go to. :bawling:

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love my season football seats. The basketball games though...I live north of Syracuse and the drive in the winter can be wicked so I don't have season bball tickets. I rarely get good seats to the bball games I go to. :bawling:

LOL. When I lived in Rochester, I use to make that drive to Syracuse for some of the games. Central NY may get hit harder than Western NY? Either way, it's not a fun drive.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jonvi, I can remember one of my buddies from Duke that kept up with Big East basketball back in the 80's and that's when I took notice of Syracuse. There's always been a mutual respect there. I sure hope the Blue Devils don't get a bad case of depth perception when they go to New York and play in the Dome. They are used to playing in a somewhat smaller venue called Cameron Indoor Stadium. You may have heard of it.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jonvi, I can remember one of my buddies from Duke that kept up with Big East basketball back in the 80's and that's when I took notice of Syracuse. There's always been a mutual respect there. I sure hope the Blue Devils don't get a bad case of depth perception when they go to New York and play in the Dome. They are used to playing in a somewhat smaller venue called Cameron Indoor Stadium. You may have heard of it.

They say the dome is hard to shoot in....but teams come in a put the beat down on the cuse from time to time. And coach K knows JBs zone better than most. Duke of all teams has a leg up on everyone in the ACC when it comes to playing the cuse.

Don't expect me to feel sorry for your boys though. :rollseyes: